It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory about time travel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hello and welcome again to my somewhat "sick" way of thinking.

The subject i am going to cover today is time travel and why it is impossible at our time now to achieve it.

First of all the main drawback of our current technology is that we cannot create a sufficient gravity in order to bend our space-time fabric like in the image bellow:

But fear not because in the next 100-200 years we will be able to create macro-gravity micro-devices (small devices that emit a huge amount of grvity) and the way i see it gravity does not come from size or some miracle particle, but from density so our briliant scientists need to figure out an ecuasion on how much does gravity bend the space-time fabric.

The next thing that creates a problem is the "universal-drift".
This is the moving of objects in the universe at extremely high speeds.

Why this poses a problem you may ask? Well because the "time-machin" creates its own gravity that will probably exceed the gravity of Earth it will remain static in comparison to the other planets, galaxies etc. so when the "travel" is finished because the earth moved, it will land nowhere, ok it will land in the vacuum of space near earth or even in another galaxy if you travel long enough backward or forward.

How to resolve this problem? Well the answer is simple but also complicated; and by this i mean teleportation.
In order to land spot on where you want to you need to calculate precisely where Earth was at the time you want to go and not just arround the Sun, but in the universe because everything moves.

These are the main problem i see now that keep us from achieving time-travel but there are a lot more like for example figuring out if there are more universes out there so that you don't land in another universe because as i mentioned above, everything movs and logically it universes will move arround in the bigger buble that contains the universes.

So what do you think about my theory?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
no, I don't even know where to begin. no.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by fordrew

At least try to give some feedback ...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I like your theory about things moving, in essence you could pop out in space with the earth on the otherside of its orbit.

Whoops *POP*

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Well....

first, time travel wouldn't be crossing into parallel universes, you'd merely be moving in the 4th dimension of our universe, time.

Second, gravity does indeed bend space and time. Massive objects warp the space, and to a small extent, the time, around them. This has been proven. The mechanics of this, though, are still completely unknown. In fact, we still don't even understand WHY things have mass, let alone how gravity actually DOES what we know it does.

A few problems with time travel.

We can't exceed the speed of light. To even approach the speed of light, your fuel needs will rocket, requiring more MASS, meaning more fuel requirements. Sure, if we invent some magic new technology, we might be able to overcome that.

The universe has rules, and as such, would never allow us to travel back in time and change things, as it would cause a paradox.

time travel into the future is the only possibility, and even that is a long shot.

Merely creating a massive gravitation force isn't going to let you warp around time. Your best bet is to warp spacetime in such a manner as to create a wormhole. And with that, you wouldn't really be time traveling per say you'd merely be taking a short cut.

My suggestion to you OP is to watch some documentaries on quantum mechanics, the "worlds first time machine" and maybe take a look at "The grand design" a book by Stephen Hawking.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

In terms of theory in science-fiction, your idea is legitimate. However, in reality, your idea has very little that can actually be applied. Consider the motion of the matter in the universe, which you mentioned. How can we ever accurately describe such a motion. I suppose the only thing we could do, really, is do a stationary time-travel once without any corrections to see how much things move, and then work it out from that.

There's also no possible way to create a gravity well as you suggest. Gravity is a result of mass, exclusively. We can never use this to time-travel, because the mass required to do so would generate a black hole first, and even that is impossible, as such an amount of mass would be impossible for us to acquire.

There also other issues, such as controlling when and where we end up when we time-travel in this manner, with any significant precision.

I know it's possible in our minds to do great things like this, but they're not realistically possible. Though, in 100 or 200 years, I may be proven wrong... and, if I am, I hope I'm still alive to see it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
First: "equation" .... please please please use spellcheck. It will help add a bit more validity to your posts.

OT: You know, of course, that if time travel were possible at any point in the future, some scientist (or perhaps somebody else even) would share that technology with someone in the past. (Probably theirself for monetary gain but that's just my first assumption).

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Eshel

False because if they have an impact in the past they will only change another universe not their own.
And ...i am not from an english speaking country, heck the basics of my language is latin and french so ... yeah some grammar mistakes are ok for me

And as someone else mentioned "You are moving in the 4th dimension", false once again because the earth now is not in the same position at the same time next year what ever you do ... if you want to take it like that it will mean to stop everything arround you, travel and then stop and resume everything.

And why i think gravity will allow an easier way for time travel is: it will help breaking the traveling object into atoms (or you can use another way to achieve that) and then using some other device, accelerate the atoms arround the gravity device that because it influences space and time it will permit (as i am thinking of it) the light speed barrier to be reached and possibly overcome but this will allow you to travel so long as the machine is on so for example if the machine works for 5 years it will allow you to travel anytime between those 5 years.

As for light speed being achieved, just look at what people said 80 years ago about the speed of sound.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
reply to post by Eshel

As for light speed being achieved, just look at what people said 80 years ago about the speed of sound.

That's a terrible comparison.
The speed of sound has nothing in common with the speed of light. One is the propagation of sound through a given medium. The other is a fundamental velocity necessary for the existence of electromagnetism. There is no comparison.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Exactly what i was saying.

Thats the exact discussion people were having 80 years ago.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Why do I get the idea that you don't actually understand the speed of light?
Tell me, why does the speed of light have to always be equal to exactly 299,792,458 m/s?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There is a little known theory of achieving time travel that involves aproching the speed light in a ship . As you know , with speed comes increased mass to the theoretical state of infinite mass at the speed of light. What most people forget is that gravity is a direct effect of mass. I think you can see where im heading with this

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
So, reverse time travel is ill advised as I'm sure you would want to return to the reality you came from. If you went backward there would be no guarantee in returning to the same actuality from whence you came because just your presence can drastically alter what comes after. Meaning when you arrived, even if you immediately returned, your presence creates as you said a huge gravitational well, this would alter the existence of everything around the area. Extrapolate this alteration for the length of time travel and you won't be coming back to the same actuality you left from, no possibility of reversal. Everything and everyone you ever knew may not have ever existed.

So when you join those that can do this you'll need to take these words seriously.

DO NOT GO BACKWARDS, unless it is to return no further back than your original time-space location.

This is rule 1 to time travel.

Also, if you want to see the future, its much less energy consuming and easier and cheaper to just use a quantum computer. Reality simulations are much cheaper than attempting to get an object with mass to greater than the speed of light. Though speed is fun.

new topics

top topics

join