It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iranian Withdraws From Olympics Instead of Facing Israeli : UPDATE

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Alright, I think a lot of you people are blind or are just skipping over this statement so I'll repeat it:

Since its 1979 Islamic revolution, Iran has refused to recognise the state of Israel's right to exist and has allied itself to the Palestinian cause.

So how could you expect the guy to fight another guy from a country that doesn't even exist?

You can call it petty on part of the Iranian government, but you would also have to call the stealing of land from Palestine petty as well. I mean honestly, the Arab world is somewhat united, and in this case palestine and iran definitely so, is it so strange to see that there is still a grudge against Israel?

I'm not claiming that Israel doesn't deserve anything nor am I claiming they do, but how can we go about telling people what is and isn't right to believe in. What is and isn't right to take action against.

My question is, how come Iran didn't drop out of every event in which an Israeli was competing?

But all in all, it just seems like the guy was going to be disqualified for his weight anyway and wanted to go out with controversy and money...

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It all goes back to hatred. Iran hates the Jews. They want their nation destroyed and all Jews to be killed. This type of hate has no place in the world.

The attacks of people like Shoo are normal for ATS. That's really all this forum is good for anymore. The purpose is to attack anyone with different views.

Should the USA disarm their nuclear weapons? Absolutely. ALL Countries with nuclear weapons should come together and agree to a 100% disarm agreement and at the same time make a pack to never allow any other country to develop this technology for these weapons again. Like hatred, nuclear weapons have no place in the world.

The truth is probably that this Iran guy was afraid. He was facing a Jew in a hand to hand fight. What happens to him when he gets the tar beat out of him by a Jew? The middle eastern culture is so filled with hate for Jews that his guy might as well committed suicide if he lost. Going back to Iran beaten up by a Jew would not be an option.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ummm, did you read about the article saying he was going to be disqualified anyway.

And also, Middle Easterners don't want Jews exterminated, they aren't nazis. The fact is, lots of TRUE Isrealites lived among the Arabs in the Arab nations for thousands of years and they were welcomed.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
It all goes back to hatred. Iran hates the Jews. They want their nation destroyed and all Jews to be killed. This type of hate has no place in the world.

That's a generalization that cannot be graced with any credit.

Should the USA disarm their nuclear weapons? Absolutely. ALL Countries with nuclear weapons should come together and agree to a 100% disarm agreement and at the same time make a pack to never allow any other country to develop this technology for these weapons again.

I agree.
Meanwhile, the reality is that instead of disarming themselves, the US has jump-started new nuclear weapons programs, and our president has made statements to the effect that we would not hesitate to use so-called tactical nukes in battle.
Quite an incentive for countries like Iran to develop their own nuclear weapons, I would say, and given the circumstances, they have my blessings in this endeavour. If the USA actually starts disarming instead of doing the opposite, than I would favor enforcing a ban on Iran. Until then, I cannot do so without being a blatant hypocrite, and neither can anyone of us.

The middle eastern culture is so filled with hate for Jews that his guy might as well committed suicide if he lost. Going back to Iran beaten up by a Jew would not be an option.

Yes, it would be humiliating, but your talk of suicide is frankly a bit excessive.

U.

[edit on 15-8-2004 by upuaut]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
The attacks of people like Shoo are normal for ATS. That's really all this forum is good for anymore. The purpose is to attack anyone with different views.

Trying to compensate that you made the most stupid comment in this thread?

I wasn't attacking I was asking for some common sense but I guess the wolf cries alone.

Originally posted by zerotimeThe middle eastern culture is so filled with hate for Jews that his guy might as well committed suicide if he lost.

Wee! Mr. Great Knowledge zerotime striked again and tells us that an Iranian muslim would commit suicide if he looses a competition against a Jew.

Strong muslim -> commits suicide....
Do I have to explain it? I hope not

[edit on 16-8-2004 by shoo]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Poor Miresmaeili. History could have remembered him with a medal.
Instead, he wound up as a bargaining chip.

Rebekka

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Olympic athletics have a great responsibility. What the athletes do at the Olympics reflects on their country. This guy�s decision to bow out because there was a Jew in the contest reflects the racism endemic in the Arab societies. Would this be acceptable by an athlete from any other county? Of course not.

More personal attacks Shoo? Hmm. I guess someone doesn�t read the rules. You should keep it in mind that it is usually weak minded people that resort to name-calling.

And Shoo you need to read�Did I say the guy was going to kill himself? No, I said he might as well kill himself because to return to Iran after getting whipped by a Jew would be a disgrace.

Originally posted by shoo
Strong muslim -> commits suicide....
Do I have to explain it? I hope not

Actually yeah, you do need to explain it. Are you saying that Muslims do not commit suicide?

[edit on 16-8-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sorry for loosing my temper.

A muslim that actually really beliefs in his religion will never commit suicide as this will bring him to hell and prevent him coming to heaven. As well know these folks have one aim: get the virgins up in heaven.

They really belief commiting suicide will bring you to hell. It's really one of the most worst things a muslim can do.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Basically his message is: I want to compete with people from all other nations and have no anger against them. But as the lot gave an Israeli athlet for competition I withdraw to express my disgust.

by the way: the Swedish track & field athlets considered to withdraw from the games till today.
Reason: they didn't want to compete with the 2 greek athlets that are currently in hospital and in suspicion of doping.
(but this is a different aspect now, not political, it's about sports. Just written as a sidenote)

[edit on 14-8-2004 by shoo]

YOur arguments tho are in a completely differnt situation. THere is a difference in not playin in the olympics for reasons (maybe for political reasons) like protestin an action a country did especially war. THe other example of the Sweds not wantin to compete is because of the suspected illegal actions of the other team. Yes both of these examples are a bit childish in there own ways but are sound to a degree. They are not stepping down frombecause they dont want a specific country to exist in the worl. I see a big difference dont you?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver

by the way: the Swedish track & field athlets considered to withdraw from the games till today.
Reason: they didn't want to compete with the 2 greek athlets that are currently in hospital and in suspicion of doping.
(but this is a different aspect now, not political, it's about sports. Just written as a sidenote)

YOur arguments tho are in a completely differnt situation. THere is a difference in not playin in the olympics for reasons (maybe for political reasons) like protestin an action a country did especially war. THe other example of the Sweds not wantin to compete is because of the suspected illegal actions of the other team. Yes both of these examples are a bit childish in there own ways but are sound to a degree. They are not stepping down frombecause they dont want a specific country to exist in the worl. I see a big difference dont you?

I must admit it is very hard to keep your temper if you are sourrounded by...whatever but it's not a nice word that I skipped here!

Dear Quicksilver. Read my words again. I explicitly said "(but this is a different aspect now, not political, it's about sports. Just written as a sidenote)" and seperated it from the rest of the thread as there is no connection.

Be so kind and edit your last post to: wrong. So it won't waste bandwith.
Bangee - you want me to keep cool? You see what I have to waste my time on!

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I can agree that I also generalized all Iranians into one category, which is unfair to them. I really don�t have a problem with the people of Iran. It is their government that I do not trust. But then again, I do not trust the government of any country in the world. I believe the old saying: power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HeirToBokassa
Iran 's results in 2000
sportsillustrated.cnn.com...

Shoo: valid comparison IMO

how? israel didnt invade anyone..

and either way neither one of those actions are right, the main reason the olympics were created was to forget politics and war.

[edit on 16-8-2004 by namehere]

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

A muslim that actually really beliefs in his religion will never commit suicide as this will bring him to hell and prevent him coming to heaven. As well know these folks have one aim: get the virgins up in heaven.

They really belief commiting suicide will bring you to hell. It's really one of the most worst things a muslim can do.

REALLY?!!! How on Earth do they convince all these SUICIDE BOMBERS to commit SUICIDE then?!!!!!

m...

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
REALLY?!!! How on Earth do they convince all these SUICIDE BOMBERS to commit SUICIDE then?!!!!!

m...

Martyrdom clause.

Its not "suicide" to them, they've become a weapon and are sacrificing themselves to kill the heathens.

Getting into heaven on a technicality... jeez.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So the fact that the Iranian was too fat and was disqualified from his weight class had nothing to do with his decision to withdraw? after working that hard to make the team in the first place?

Yeah, right.

posted on Aug, 17 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Originally posted by Springer

m...

Martyrdom clause.

Its not "suicide" to them, they've become a weapon and are sacrificing themselves to kill the heathens.

Thanks for telling him Nerdling

and Springer - you get my Above Embarassing vote

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join