It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photonic neuron may compute a billion times faster than brain circuits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Click Here
This is the first I've heard of a technology such as this. If they get this done, could you imagine the advancement in AI?
Also, putting a machine on Mars with this technology could be life changing. Amputees could theoretically get a perfectly working limb. If combined with a technology that could send signals through space faster, we could be looking at that far out future, you always thought of, when you were a kid.

If the project is successful, the new technology could allow for computer circuits that are capable of making nearly instantaneous calculations in life-or-death situations, such as locating a terrorist from a radio signal or deciding whether to eject a fighter pilot from a jet. It might also allow speedy processing of huge amounts of data, such as the video signals that currently guide the movements of robotic cars or scans of genetic data for clues to fighting diseases.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
first thought;
That thing could be connected to the surveillance centres in every city.

artificially intelligent supercomputers serving to protect...., anyone??

That's just a cynical paranoid delusion though perhaps.
This kind of technology could revolutionize how we live our day to day lives and how to compute the simplest and most complex of human problems.
It could figure out the most efficient way of feeding every human being on the planet while creating a self-sustainable environment to work in.
because I guess were too lazy.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by addygrace

Like a boss. One more piece to Human advancement, win. Epic win. Epic...winni. Epic winning!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Notice how they mention how it's going to benefit man kind. Makes me laugh because since Lockheed Martin is in involved I highly doubt it will be for the benefit of man.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Yes, but can it think...
...abstractly....
...about cheese?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Hasen't this already been tried once before? I am prety sure its when Skynet came online.

Sarcasm aside this is pretty cool... Hopefully the advances will be used for good instead of evil.

On the off chance its not, I want to go on record now saying I for one welcome our new cyber overlords.

top topics

join