It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US gov seize an estimated 80 mil in gold from private citizen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I didnt see anything on this case here so I figured I would post it and let you decide if the right move was made by the gov. If you read the article you will understand why it's a weird case indeed and I still have not made up my mind yet but given the latest series of events I just cant trust governments anymore. link
edit on 20-7-2011 by Slickinfinity because: had to fix link

edit on 20-7-2011 by Slickinfinity because: spelling

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
80 million in gold and hes holding onto it, and now lost it, what an idiot. sell that buy real gold and live life happily ever after
edit on 20-7-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Slickinfinity

This is the grandfathers bad. He has stolen gold coins left in his safety deposit box after he dies. That's sweet, but for god sakes leave a note that says they're stolen
The first place they took the coins to was the U.S. Treasury to authenticate them! But who knows, they may be able to strike a deal with Gov't like the other guy with a gold coin did, or even better, a judge awards them the coins, which I doubt very much will ever happen

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Gahhh let them keep their damn coins. Their wrong move was getting them authenticated by the treasury. Sad that it would be considered a wrong move

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Depending on the age of the crime a statute of limitations should apply in this case. I'm not sure what it would be with this form of crime or whether there is a limitations statute.

On another note, do they know that the grandfather stole them. Isn't it possible that he unknowingly bought them from the their or even a pawn shop. If they cannot prove the grandfather actually stole them then the government should have no right to confiscate the coins, especially if there is no way to convict anyone of a crime.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

This is the grandfathers bad. He has stolen gold coins left in his safety deposit box after he dies. That's sweet, but for god sakes leave a note that says they're stolen
The first place they took the coins to was the U.S. Treasury to authenticate them! But who knows, they may be able to strike a deal with Gov't like the other guy with a gold coin did, or even better, a judge awards them the coins, which I doubt very much will ever happen

would have to be a true moron to potentially implicate oneself in such a manner.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Is this the new way of the US government to get gold back in the treasury because their gold is gone?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The Government is going to sieze all gold, they did it before and the will do it again.People have short memories.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkSarcasm

The 1933 Double Eagle was never released from the US Mint to the public, ever.

All privately held examples are by definition stolen since all examples other than two given to the Smithsonian Museum's numismatic collection were not released and cannot be held privately.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
The government siezes gold whenever it can.

Was the gold ever reported stolen? (before the government I mean)

Did the liberty dollar gold ever get returned?

Why is it called siezing when the government takes things and stealing when anyone else does?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SFA437

Is it not possible that someone within treasury illegally sold these coins to unsuspecting purchasers? Or that they were misplaced?

Don't be so quick to rule out all possibilities.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Please correct me if I am wrong.

In the US. The statute of limitations doesn’t start until the crime has been discovered.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
first question, what is the statute of limitations on theft of this nature?

second question. so ok no "inheritance tax" was paid. first off that "tax" shouldn't even be there it's just typical government double dipping as far as i'm concerned. stealing money from dead people's family shame. money should only be taxed once. but hey they do have it so needs to be payed. BUT why take everything? wouldn't the correct thing to do be taking the appropriate amount of tax, not everything?

we can learn a valuable lesson from this. NEVER EVER have the "proper authorities" know about anything till you KNOW what the real rules are. especially when dealing with possible historic objects. they typically get stolon from you.

i used to know a guy who bought a "samurai" sword. it looked old so he wanted to find out more about it, (i agreed it was really a cool looking piece). so i was with him when he was talking to someone who knew about Japanese stuff, as i was the one to think this person might know . good way to start to learn (and thankfully he did). what the person he asked said blew my mind away. he started off about how the style of the blade DID look very old indeed. wow nice find but it was the next part that got my attention. the only way to know for sure would be to send it to japan to test it.........DON'T EVEN THINK OF DOING THAT, don't even MAKE inquiries about it!! HUH why not?
he went on. if you send it they will send you a nice thank you card for returning the sword back. if you make inquiries you are likely to have the feds at your door with a person from the Japanese embassy at your door demanding it.

it seems that ANYTHING that could be considered historic, no matter when or how obtained., is subject to being stolen by the world's governments. after all don't you know whatever government you are under OWNS EVERYTHING.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

As weird as this article is, its not new. The Government controls what is considered valid currency and what is not. When those coins were taken out fo circulation, they were to be destroyed.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
The Government is going to sieze all gold, they did it before and the will do it again.People have short memories.

Here are the simple facts of the great betrayal. Wilson and House knew that they were doing something momentous. One cannot fathom men’s motives and this pair probably believed in what they were up to. What they did not believe in was representative government. They believed in government by an uncontrolled oligarchy whose acts would only become apparent after an interval so long that the electorate would be forever incapable of doing anything efficient to remedy depredations. — EZRA POUND (St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Washington, D.C. 1950)

www.barefootsworld.net...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by onefellswoop
reply to post by SFA437

Is it not possible that someone within treasury illegally sold these coins to unsuspecting purchasers? Or that they were misplaced?

Don't be so quick to rule out all possibilities.

It does not matter who stole them- the fact that they were illegally removed from the US Mint makes them stolen property. Those in possession of them are considered to possess stolen property and said property is subject to seizure.

Being that the grandfather has a history of selling them and getting jammed up over it, as well as having been questioned in the theft and banned from entering any US Mint back in the day- these things are gone IMO.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Doesn't this remind anyone of Nasa going after the astronaut that tried to auction off his old camera? I bet the people dont see a dime. lucky for them though possession is 9/10ths of law.. or at least what used to be the law.

new topics

top topics

join