It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora, Texas UFO -- About the side-show...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
When in 1973, the local Dallas newspapers began the story, anew, of the Aurora, Texas UFO crash in 1897 (UFO hits windmill, alien body recovered, buried in local cemetery), there was a side story, which I have never heard anyone else mention: Coded Messages in the Classified Ads.

In 1973, Dallas had two papers, the Dallas Morning News and the Dallas Times Herald. As the story heated up and talk was about exhuming whoever (or whatever) was buried in a mysterious grave, it was my mother who pointed out to me something of interest taking place in the classified ads of those two papers.

In each paper, classified ads were taken out. I do not remember the exact words, but they were a space-related code along these lines:

* Apollo to Soyez: Countdown begun.
* Gemini to Apollo: You are go for rendezvous.

One message would be in the Times Herald, and the other in the Morning News. It went on for days, if not weeks.

These began about the time the story broke (again) in Bill Case's articles in 1973, and continued up until the very odd ending along the lines that researches found the grave-site disturbed, some hole bored down into grave, and so the request for exhumation was cancelled under the assumption that the grave was too disturbed. The messages in the classifieds abruptly ended.

I am hoping maybe someone else noticed and looked into that, or has knowledge.

I have often wondered if the UFO investigators (MUFON) had been behind the codes.

Then again, it could be simply two star-crossed (get it?!) lovers working out a secret tryst.

No matter what, it is a very clever means of communicating-- using two different newspaper's classified ads so that only one portion would likely ever be seen. I would say it was sophisticated except for that it drew my attention and I still remember it 38 years later and a really sophisticated coded communication wouldn't do that.

With that said, my gut feel is that the code is good enough for MUFON, or two person having an illicit rendezvous (and the puns keep coming!), but not good enough for, say, our government. Perhaps that thought may minimize using this thread to dive headlong into conspiracy theories-- especially since the Aurora crash is almost certainly one of two things:
1) An outright hoax,
2) Another variation of the wild stories of dirigible joy riders traveling the country-side at the time.

It would be neat if someone has some insight.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Frira because: minor typo edit

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I want this to be true... because it sounds very interesting. I only wish there was actual proof of this newspaper; before and after. Once I see that I am much more inclined to provide my thoughts on this interesting story.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Hmmm ok, I did some research on THIS WEBSITE for the three names you listed that were "sending coded messages" to eachother for USA--Dallas, Texas, all publications for all pages and nothing came up.

Not sure how reliable the site is, but it is a start if maybe you want to give it a go.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
reply to post by Frira

Hmmm ok, I did some research on THIS WEBSITE for the three names you listed that were "sending coded messages" to eachother for USA--Dallas, Texas, all publications for all pages and nothing came up.

Not sure how reliable the site is, but it is a start if maybe you want to give it a go.

That's a good idea, but being in classifieds, I doubt those are scanned. I am about 99% sure Apollo was one; but Soyez (probably too early), Gemini-- maybe 50% sure, Mercury-- don't think so.

Getting to Dallas library and going through microfiche could give me the exact quotes, and the dates they commenced and ended (although fairly certain that they ended on or about 4-Jul-1973), but still does nothing toward resolving who, or even if related to the subject; albeit the dates might strongly suggest a link.

My thought is that if MUFON, someone here may know about it.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
that is weird mostly because of the year 1973 and Dallas
and makes this very interesting

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Go to your library and find those newspaper, now
No seriously, go tomorrow

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept
Hmmm ok, I did some research

Aurora, Texas UFO incident - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...

The Aurora, Texas UFO Crash of 1897
www.ufocasebook.com...

Aurora Texas UFO Crash Of 1897 - Myth Or Mystery?
www.rense.com...

Existing ATS Threads
1897-UFO Crash at Aurora, Texas
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Aurora Texas, the first 'Roswell' by Jim Marrs

Aurora Texas 1897 crash......??

Did a UFO crash in Texas in 1897, or was it a hoax?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I live extremely close to the area and to be honest locals here take it as kind of a joke. There was a Houston reporter that came here and a group of wise guys told him oh yes there was an alien here, he played poker and was shot during a card game. To be honest I have been to the cemetery that the alien is supposed to be buried at. It is a beautiful and peaceful place, but most around here believe it is a girl who had yellow fever buried in the unmarked grave. In fact my mom worked with the lady that owns the ranch this thing crashed at.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Go to www.dallasnews.com...

Search for Aurora Texas UFO under 1885-1977 Archives (drop down menu)

They have 19 articles on file... but you need to pay for them

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/053c69ef91bb.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bd96f68cdd8.png[/atsimg]
edit on 20-7-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Ha well-done. Point taken

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Go to www.dallasnews.com...

Search for Aurora Texas UFO under 1885-1977 Archives (drop down menu)

They have 19 articles on file... but you need to pay for them

That is great! Last time I tried searching for anything, there were no classifieds and nothing from 1973 was available.

Today, I used various criteria which I thought would get me the shortest list (e.g., "Apollo 1973 personals") and found "hits" in the right date range (March through July 1973), but the thumbnail never included the text "Apollo" (usually, only the "Personals" column heading showed) I am looking for. I am not inclined to pay for coming up with the exact dialogue from the two papers; especially because it is possible I will only get Buick Apollo "for sale by owner" ads. I don't even play penny-ante poker-- much less will I spend $10.00 to buy something sight-unseen.

Like I said, next time I am in Dallas (if ever) I will make an effort to scan the microfiche.

I am hoping that we may hear from someone who already knows of them and can provide some insight.

I would expect the truth may be something like...

Let's say that Case and MUFON are working together (well, we know they were), and both agree to keep their activities between them so as not to allow other media and interested parties to get in the way; and since time is not of the essence, placing classifieds was nearly an untraceable means of communicating.

So, we might learn that a MUFON investigator at the courthouse in Wise County, Texas, files the paperwork for the request to exhume the body, and calls one of the papers and dictates a classified like,
"Apollo to Gemini: The Countdown has begun."
Maybe Case, getting approval for legal costs associated with the endeavor, responds with his own classified, something like,
"Roger Apollo, you are Go for Launch."

My version is a good story even I am wrong, and I like it lot better than the ever-so-tiring: "Proof that the Government is keeping knowledge of aliens a secret!"

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I would suggest anyone interested in what happened back then check the Decatur archives, it is the Wise county seat where this crash happened, it did not happen in Dallas County. The last reporter to go in there to check it out said he was basically laughed at so be tough about it and you may find somethings of use. As stated there is a cemetery off of 114 and a small road called Cemetery road in Aurora about five miles East of Boyd, that is where UFO hunters did there underground radar detecting and the likes. It is an extremely private cemetery with a lot of family plots, so if you do do this do me a favor and please respect the plots and don't do any digging out of respect for the families. The Oats are a very private people and they currently own the ranch this happened at, they were also interviewed by UFO Hunters so if you want more information you can feel free to contact them about it. Just a little FYI, like I said the locals take it as a joke so you may be laughed at, but if you stay strong and respectable about people privacy (a lot of people come out this way to hide their pasts from the city, being that it is extremely remote in places, and very private with their tongues). A lot of battle scars are on this county that a lot of people do not realize, such as a massacre of frontier settlers in Rhome which is about three miles from the Aurora site. And even a legend about Bat Masterson's hidden treasure here. So there are a lot of myths about the area that you may enjoy looking into as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golithion
I would suggest anyone interested in what happened back then check the Decatur archives, it is the Wise county seat where this crash happened, it did not happen in Dallas County. The last reporter to go in there to check it out said he was basically laughed at so be tough about it and you may find somethings of use. As stated there is a cemetery off of 114 and a small road called Cemetery road in Aurora about five miles East of Boyd, that is where UFO hunters did there underground radar detecting and the likes. It is an extremely private cemetery with a lot of family plots, so if you do do this do me a favor and please respect the plots and don't do any digging out of respect for the families. The Oats are a very private people and they currently own the ranch this happened at, they were also interviewed by UFO Hunters so if you want more information you can feel free to contact them about it. Just a little FYI, like I said the locals take it as a joke so you may be laughed at, but if you stay strong and respectable about people privacy (a lot of people come out this way to hide their pasts from the city, being that it is extremely remote in places, and very private with their tongues). A lot of battle scars are on this county that a lot of people do not realize, such as a massacre of frontier settlers in Rhome which is about three miles from the Aurora site. And even a legend about Bat Masterson's hidden treasure here. So there are a lot of myths about the area that you may enjoy looking into as well.

While my own interest in only in what took place in the Dallas newspapers in 1973-- and only if there is a connection to the Case articles and/or MUFON investigation of that time, you give good advise.

If the town wanted tourists, they would say so; and a Cemetery is a Holy place to me, and to many.

Last year I visited my own old family cemetery in rural Texas. In the middle of nowhere, I still had company real fast! They were wonderful, but I had good reason for being there. Then, everyone wanted to meet me. When they realized, after a while, that I wanted be alone, I never had to say a word, they shook my hand, bid me well and let me be. I love my culture; but I wouldn't advise anyone to tread too far without first being sure they have only the best of intentions.

top topics

join