It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borders bankruptcy sale. Spirituality, Occult, Esoteric, Metaphysics, Philosophy recommendations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yesterday, the mega bookstore 'Borders' announced their bankruptcy and upcoming closure. I journeyed to the store today to check out any sales, and a worker told me the liquidation mark-downs will begin this Friday.

I am interested in the topics listed in this thread's title (Spirituality, Occult, Esoteric, Metaphysics, Philosophy, and Meditation). Could you guys please give me some good books to look out for, and possibly a brief description?

Thanks in advanced.

edit on 7/19/11 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Here are some dandies from one of my all time favorite threads: Psychology, Philosophy & Metaphysics Research & Resources Thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy

ETA: Some of my favs:
Chop Wood Carry Water - Rick Fields
Archaic Revival- Terrence McKenna
Tibetan Magic and Mysticism - Brennan
The Wisdom of Insecurity -Alan Watts
Way of the Scout -Tom Brown Jr
Way of the Warrior - Bruce Lee
The Secret Doctrine - Madame Blavatsky
edit on 19-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

get anything you canby Ophiel if you can only take one then "the art and practice of astral projection"

2nd "the art and practice of creative visualization"

he has a rambling style but there is a lot of info and dots connected for the discerning

philosophy: Nietzsche's thus spake Zarathustra

while not on the subjects list i always recommend Frank Herbert's Dune series.

and eric v. lustbader's "The Tao of Nicholas Linnear" series [the 1st one is titled The Ninja to give you an idea]
edit on 19-7-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: spellcheck

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I recommend The Key, 2nd edition 2010, by Whitley Strieber ...it is billed as a metaphysical or spiritual book, but I think it is a close encounter of the 3rd kind...this interview with "a visitor" gave Whitley Strieber the information he needed to write The Coming Global Superstorm and The Day After Tomorrow. And there's a vast amount more. I guarantee you it is worth the read.

Last week a noted psychic posted his own evaluation of The Key online...according to the psychic's reading, The Key is mostly quite accurate.

Here's the Amazon link:

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1311468391&sr=1-1

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
If you're into books on magic, one of the best I ever found was The Encyclopedia for the Young Wizard (something like that), by Oberron Zell Ravenheart. Some might remember this guy as the one who bred unicorns for Ringling Bros.

Anyhoo, it's a great book on the subject, as he goes into nearly everything, magical theory, languages, gemstones, astrology, herbs, colors, you name it, it's pretty much in here. As the title implies, it's written from the standpoint of teaching to a young wizard. Like a first year book at Hogwarts. (but goes much deeper).

I've always found the subject fascinating...so while you won't find me in a Wiccan circle or anything...I still enjoy reading about the subject, especially throughout history.

top topics

join