It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans an 'invasive species'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Here's the NISIC's (National Invasive Species Information Center) definition of invasive species:

1) non-native (or alien) to the ecosystem under consideration and

2) whose introduction causes or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm or harm to human health.

In my mind, we could possibly be the apex invasive species as we appear to be the most dangerous animal on the planet with little regard for the resources and environment we plunder.

But what are your thoughts?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
earths cancer my good man

we pollute

we consume

we mess with earths protective fields

we endanger every species on this planet and earth it self.

any species that messes with us gets the boot

we steal resources like were entitlted to it without any disregard for the other species on this planet nor the future of the planet

we got to top of food chain by being the most greedy sob's

if earth could talk and the animals could speak.... what would they say to humans?

earths cancer...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

had to post it!

in all seriousness i believe humans are beings trying to understand their higher conciousness. i think each individual given the right chance would choose the better good of this planet and that our current state is more or less an example of 'the worst part of us'.... but as a species we are unique and need only to learn. i really feel humans have the potential for a very positive future of harmony with nature.
edit on 7/19/2011 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I agree and its not hard to site evidence to prove it.

Borneo would be a classic example.

So would the Amazon.

It would probably be easier to name places on Earth that haven't been changed by humans.

Just saying....

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Humanity is not just an Invasive Species. We are a Cancer.

We take over and destroy all that is good in order to continue our spread. Regardless of how we came into existence as a species, we have evolved away from nature. We need to change or be exterminated for the good of the Earth.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yes. Simply because we are a very controlling species.

Just have a look at how we treat everything else around us, including our own.

It would be no different for anything else.

The only chance anything would have against the human race is a higher intelligence.

Time is probably the most invasive, controlling thing we know of.

Eventually, time will wear us out, unless we figure out how to start controlling time.

Let's just hope we don't figure that one out.
edit on 7/19/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

i think it is important to realize there are different 'kinds' of humans and different kinds of human cultures. Some cultures have lived in more or less 'harmony' with their environments for thousands of years, some have decimated their surroundings in a few generations. To conflate ALL humanity with the current taker culture of the West is inaccurate.

Humans are not 'invasive', but Taker culture and Consumer culture are. Modern Western America culture.
edit on 19-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
the humans genral way of thinking is usualy to distroy with out under standing where ever you go you imeadatly get in a fight over the seroundings of you

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I like your reasoning. Although I don't believe utopia is possible, humankind has shown examples of responsibility for the environment and we are more environmentally aware than anytime in history. I have great respect for the native americans who in their way tried to live in balance with nature. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many other examples. Although I consider myself a loving and caring person, I must admit it's hard for me not to have a nihilistic attitude towards our species. I believe one day, if we survive, we might reevaluate the word 'intelligence' as it doesn't seem to be rational that an intelligent species would do the things we do to ourselves and the world.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

i share your feelings for the native americans. it would seem that nearly the whole north of america, although covered by many separate tribes, was a race of people who had learned to maintain an equilibrium between nature and man. i think there are other examples of peoples whose whole culture revolved similiarly in philosophy but the native americans generally come to mind to most anyone. i wish i knew more about the native american culture to contribute more, as an example in this thread for a human/enviroment equilibrium.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
reply to post by Balkan

it would seem that nearly the whole north of america, although covered by many separate tribes, was a race of people who had learned to maintain an equilibrium between nature and man.

There's a good chance that that 'balance' was more circumstance than intention. It was only aspects of invention that allowed Western culture to expand at such a high rate. At the time of 'discovery', most Eastern Seaboard 'native' townships were on the verge of rapid expansion from an increase in agriculture. It stands to reason that without eurpopean contact and the ensuing death from disease, etc, that N. American 'native' culture might have found themselves out of balance as well.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

that is particularly interesting, i did not know that. somewhat offtopic here, but i'll be motivated to look into some native american stuff in the near future out of this interest, thanks

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Humans are cancer? Nonsense. The native Americans were 60 million strong before they were decimated. They knew how to coexist with nature. Now, obviously we are not coexisting, but that's not an inherent part of being human. And cancer is an exaggeration, we are fleas to mother earth and she can shake us off at any time.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Humans are cancer? Nonsense. The native Americans were 60 million strong before they were decimated. They knew how to coexist with nature. Now, obviously we are not coexisting, but that's not an inherent part of being human. And cancer is an exaggeration, we are fleas to mother earth and she can shake us off at any time.

Of course the cancer doesn't consider him self cancer....

secondly we don't live in a native american time period those days are gone

thirdly if left untouched the native americans would've been just as destructivce were there population growth and innovations

forth if the native americans were left as is they never would know how there practices were effecting mother nature or the resource stealing from her nipples .. They wouldnt understand the long term effects of it ..

cancer is not an exaggeration its actually an understatement ....

we were fleas on her when we were in the native american level

welcome to 2011

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Some humans but not ALL. Many humans are just trying to live this controlled life they were born into. Others like to controll EVERYTHING EVEN OTHER HUMANS LIVES.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Are humans beneficial to the environment? I have a hard time finding anything major that we contribute to the balance and well-being of our natural surroundings. It seems we take far more than we give, and in many instances, we give nothing back at all. The rainforests continue to dwindle just so humans can wipe their butts and build houses. We continue to pollute our own water sources (!?). We continue to create situations that can destroy the planet (!!!). (etc!)

I'm actually surprised more people didn't chime in on this thread. I'd love to hear more positive rebuttals. Even though I admit my attitude is negative towards us as a collective, I still hold on to some wild hopes we can change things around.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Humans are cancer? Nonsense. The native Americans were 60 million strong before they were decimated. They knew how to coexist with nature. Now, obviously we are not coexisting, but that's not an inherent part of being human.

My thoughts exactly.

I think the human species has "lost touch" with nature and their own intuition and how to coexist peacfully with the earth.

Universal harmony is what we must achieve in order to reverse the destructional affect we are having on this planet.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by Balkan

IMHO no. Our leaders and politicians and lawmakers are

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Humans are cancer? Nonsense. The native Americans were 60 million strong before they were decimated. They knew how to coexist with nature.

Actually they didn't. Just look at the Mayans.

The only reason we thought they did was because the environment had started to recover after centuries of desecration by the time Europeans go to see it - so it looked 'pristine'.

The native population having been decimated decades earlier due to our introduction of diseases.

Which, is. er, further evidence of humans as a destructive, invasive species .....
edit on 20-7-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I'm basing a good but of that off of "1492" by Charles C Mann.

Great book, with excellent footnotes and bibliography for further research.

top topics

join