It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers make roadsign read IMPEACH OBAMA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a156ade7bb2.jpg[/atsimg]

Apparently North Carolina is suffering from serial hacking of its roadsigns. First, there were silly messages such as "Zombies Ahead" and "Be alert for tanks" and now they seem to have gone political.

Hacked DOT Road Sign Reads "Impeach Obama"

An electronic DOT road sign was apparently hacked when a displayed message read "Impeach Obama."

DOT officials told WSOC they had not heard of the display when first contacted on Sunday night, but sent an engineer to correct the sign afterward.

The sign, which was located at the intersection of Unionville-Indian Trail and Ridge roads in Union County, was displayed for an unknown amount of time over the weekend and corrected later Sunday evening.

My Fox 8

Apparently these signs aren't hard to hack, I would bet that many road crew workers probably know how to program stuff like this.

I was curious how difficult this task might be, so I contacted a friend of mine who has some experience in…. shall we just say, “less than conventional software management.” He asked not to be identified but provided this brief observation.

Security for those signs is a joke. I’m not saying it’s anyone’s fault because you wouldn’t expect them to spend a ton of design time putting in security. I mean, they’re not guarding the nuke codes here. Who would expect somebody to try to hack into a sign warning drivers about construction? But it doesn’t take an advanced degree to do it. Probably half the kids in high school today could pull it off.

Hot Air

I'm not sure if this is the best way to get the message out; those signs are meant for warning motorists of hazardous conditions in the road ahead. If they had hacked signs with a legitimate warning on it, they could have put drivers in danger.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3b34288fc12.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/020356056764.jpg[/atsimg]

Is this just a silly prank, or a potentially dangerous practice?

The one story said that drivers were stopping to take pictures of the sign. They could have caused traffic problems.
edit on 7/19/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I like the one about you'll never get to work, and the tacos too.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

I found the Zombies sign.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef6af8831a22.jpg[/atsimg]
Charlott Obsever

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Awesome, I had seen news stories on the zombies and NO TACOS...

Impeach is a new one to me... too bad this isnt going on all over the place if its so easy to do... Would be great to see that as im driving
definitely would make my day

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I do not think it is too dangerous at all. Places where you find these types of signs are areas which are undergoing larger construction projects. So in addition to these signs, you will find no shortage of cones, barricades and flashing lights and various other things that warn you that construction is taking place. You would have to literally be blind to miss it, with or without the sign.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Someone needs to help these poor chaps get laid. Too much time on their hands.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Star & Flag

I love it!

I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face. Good thing I was not driving. It is a few hours away near where my cousin lives.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
i had to laugh at all of those signs.

wheres the road signs that say those road signs are racist?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I thought the one about you'll never get to work on time was hilarious!!!

The Obama one just a bit of truth on the drive is always a good thing!!!!

I wished I could seen that up close.
ETA:
The Zombies ahead sign was truly creative...too funny.

edit on 19-7-2011 by ldyserenity because: add

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I passed a "zombies" sign on the way out of town just last week. Pretty funny stuff.

However, it could also be pretty dangerous if there is an actual emergency ahead or a crew working close to the highway.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
We need to get more roadsigns out.....

AND QUICK!!

Lets GO PEOPLE!!

great story.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Originally posted by nyk537
I passed a "zombies" sign on the way out of town just last week. Pretty funny stuff.

However, it could also be pretty dangerous if there is an actual emergency ahead or a crew working close to the highway.

When you passed the Zombies sign, did you think, even for half a second; "What if its not a joke?"

ETA: I've seen the pace at which some of those roadcrews work. Maybe it was just an honest mistake?

edit on 7/19/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
i do disagree with the "danger" part of road signs.

anytime they are pulled out you know that something is up and to take precautions.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
"hacker" headlines are the new flavor in the news, aren't they?

my favorite was the one ending in ha ha!

ha ha!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
At least someone still has a sense of humor these days.

I can see a lot of old white folk being quite happy to see that 'No Latinos' sign there hahaha.

As for the zombies one, I'd probably keep driving just out of curiosity.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

So what? they have a point.

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I just saw this new one:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5271cff69a32.jpg[/atsimg]

Police: No rogue pandas about

Fort Valley Road is no panda express.

Local drivers making their morning commute Monday were greeted by an electronic sign along the busy stretch of road warning of a "rogue panda on rampage."

But rest easy, panda-phobes: It was a prank.

The Arizona Department of Transportation-controlled sign near the intersection of Fort Valley Road and Forest Avenue has been warning drivers about no left turns at the intersection. But at some point hackers took control to tell residents to be on the lookout for an ailuropoda melanoleuca, also known as a giant panda.

Authorities said there is no cause for concern.

"We want to assure all citizens of Flagstaff that there is no problem with rogue pandas," said Lt. Ken Koch with the Flagstaff Police Department.

AZ Daily Sun

The police had to issue a press release. I wonder if people actually panicked over this.

edit on 8/29/11 by FortAnthem because: [atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3b237d2c49cd.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 29 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What's wrong with this country?
Everybody wants to be racist now.

new topics

top topics

join