It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nevada DMV declares GO PALIN plates obscene.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
If I was an American I would find this offensive. I can see if someone was putting a swear word, or racial comment on a plate, but really, where is the freedom of expression in this? What if the person wanted a plate that said "Freedom or death" or something like that? Wait, isn't that on one your your State plates already?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
nvm

edit on 19/7/11 by Aceofclubs because: oh really? what happens if its not?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I've actually had license plates that had more brains than Palin.

Yep, really!!

edit on 19-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
As much as I am for total freedom of speech, and could care less whose rear end I am staring at in traffic, I would probably recommend not using our license plates for political expression for one reason alone...advertising actually works.

We should be voting our president based on integrity, character, motivation, trust, selflessness and most importantly someone who puts there money where their mouth is.

Why are commercials so expensive?
Why is every other page in a magazine an advertisement?
Why are brochures handed out for free?
Because it works.

A license plate with an agenda is fine, just not one that may affect the outcome of our country (I know, that sounds harsh). When people are too indecisive, depressed and spoon fed, most will admire people who can actually make a decision for themselves and the herd mentality kicks in. Perhaps I am overstating it a bit but usually the popular vote wins.

Soft-kills mixed with some ignorance over a few generations have turned us into zombie sponges ready to soak up anything put in front of our faces. Sometimes the most obvious choice isn't "hip".

~Glu

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ElmersGluon

Who then decides on what is appropriate or not? What if someone wanted a plate that said "choose life" or "women should choose" or "Reagan Rocks'? The plate laws should start and stop at obcenities and racial comments. What if say, Tom Hanks ran for Congress and you had a plate that stated "Hank rocks" do you have to change it?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ElmersGluon

You bring up a good point; a plate like that could be considered political advertizing.

I wonder if he should have to report the cost of the plate as a political donation?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Again, it is only my opinion based on the success of modern advertisement.

Any political figure running for office or campaigning is the only place where this rule should apply. Any other word or phrase to me is fine in my book. Having thick skin and a positive attitude does wonders.

There will ALWAYS be people who find things offensive, as well as people who will ALWAYS tell you why it's not.

Pick a side or hide in between, I choose to rise above and create my own reality...WORDS MEAN NOTHING.

~Glu

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Palin
Jersey Shore
Man Vs Food
Pawn Stars

What's the difference? They're all entertainment and shouldn't be taken seriously. If someone wants to put "blow me" on their license plate, they should be able to.
I have no idea why GOPALIN would be vulgar. I can't figure it out. Am I missing something?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
What's the point in doing it anyway?

Can't they just by a bumper sticker?

I still see McCain/Palin stickers all the time.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

The point is that the Nevada DMV needs to allow all or none.

Not just the ones they personally favor.

Equal protection under the law.

It's part of the constitution!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Good on Carson City for doing something positive. This airhead should not be praised but forgotten about as she represents everything the matter with this nation.

GO CARSON CITY GO!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

With all the money he probably spent on lawyers, he could have bought enough Palin bumper stickers to cover his whole car.

During the 2nd Bush election, I saw a car that was covered top to bottom with Kerry bumper stickers. The day after the election, I felt so bad for that guy.

I wonder if he still drives that car...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I think it's out of order even if I think republicans are old farts stuck in their ways
-Ron Paul off course
edit on 20-7-2011 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This whole post is an advertisment for Libertarianism. Stay out of people's faces and let them be free! It is not your's or my decision to decide what someone wants to put on a license or bumper sticker (unless it is clearly offensive to a race or group of people--something that 90% of people would find offensive). Geez, Big Brother anyone? I mean, I wouldn't dare put such a license plate or sticker on my car, as I think it would be asking for trouble, but it was supposed to be, anyways, a free country south of the Border. Some of these responses would would fit in with Libya or Germany in WWII. Let people freely express themselves in their political and religous areas. Would this have been an issue if the plate said: "Love Allah?"

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ultraman2011

Allah's not running for president.

AND...

Long term repetitive advertisements has been proven to subconsciously affect a persons decisions. More people than you think will vote for a candidate based on exposure, repeated sugar coated promises and flashiness.

People running for office know this, so they slap their name and face on everything and push it like crack dealers.

Marketing 101...taking advantage of human emotions everyday.

~Glu

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

Just not in the same article that all the rest of us read. If it surprises anyone that a government agency is against the ideals of Repub(smaller gov. stance, so they say) they just haven't done their research. Everyone was a bush basher cause they could cause he was repub. Look at everyone up in arms against the Dem pres.(FOX) thats it. You will not make friends being a conservative in gov. Apparently some people in ny even yell at you " We dont like conservatives here" lol
God bless Glenn Beck!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I saw a car that was covered top to bottom with Kerry bumper stickers. The day after the election, I felt so bad for that guy.

I still see both of those as well. Kerry is one thing, but if you still have a Bush bumper sticker you should probably take it off..lol.

I wouldn't want anyone to know I voted for him if it were me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join