It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A request for the 'ignore' function again

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
reply to post by Domo1

I think you misunderstood - the idea is to ignore people who are intentionally trying to get you riled up - and I have no doubt there are personal agendas on this forum where an alleged "troll" is stalking another user

so yeah I can agree - blocking a user, and having it go both directions, would help prevent that

That is the intention, but that's not how it would primarily be used. It would be used to block out dissenting opinions so that some posters enter into their own little echo-chambers, undermining the purpose of discourse.

;Which the posters who would use it that way do already, so, enh.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Please
bring back the ignore feature.
I promise to behave
I will bake cookies

I have even kept my promise not to tell
others' to "talk to my paw"
that has
been very difficult.
We miss the ignore feature

this rant was brought to you by,mama

this is a play thread,right?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

no you're right, I agree
it would get abused ♥

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i think the ignore feature is kind of childish.
if someone is trolling a thread or being uncivil, alert a mod.

You think an ignore fuction is childish and yet you want us to run to moddie when we get picked on????

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Probably not going to happen. You all are probably aware, we used to have an ignore function. Thing is, in order to render a display to each member in a customized fashion based upon their own unique, specific selectable criteria adds a level of complexity and resource drain that slows everything down to an (as determined by admin) unacceptable level.

So, in order to maximize resources to have a very busy site with a constantly updating massive amount of content display in a member-friendly timely manner, that particular option had to go away.

As a personal aside (not that anyone cares,) it was a frequent source of amusement to me to see how many times people had to announce they were putting someone on ignore. Sometimes, you'd see posts like "I used to have you on ignore, but I took you off to see if you'd gotten any smarter. Nope, so back you go". Sort of flies in the face of ignoring, but whattayagonnado?

Hey, I have a strange sense of humor.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

thats what they're there for. i usually don't ever go to mods; i think i only have reported one person, but if someone feels like they're being trolled and its destroying the debate, then yes.

if someone started cussing me out for no reason, i'd report them, but i'm confident enough in my beliefs to debate around offhand slights.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Alerting a moderator is not the same thing as running to mommy or whatever the comparison may be. Despite (what is becoming) common belief, mods are here to help.

Seriously...let us know. We can help.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

My points are completely valid but you can't take me seriously because I think a certain behavior is cowardly? That seems almost as absurd as you getting this upset over some perceived insult that was never even intended.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
yea im on side with the ignore funciton is bad idea because you might miss out on some goodness ..

its true all you have to do is just ignore them and move on

its true you have an alert button and complaint link

but hey if your dealing with a super troll with a .50 cal verbal assuult then im sure they can be banned if it ever got that extreme...

so really the "ignore" feature would be more be filtering ats .. and also people change so do trolls....

lets leave it off and take the steps mentioned above and we will never need to ignore each other

sure it gets heated sometimes but dammit thats why where here that sweet passion of discussion?

deny ignorance bitches lol

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
and what if that member is trolling, over and over again, effectively derailing a decent thread?

Surely we should have the option of ignoring the trouble makers, in a bid to engage with the more mature members?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Just alert the staff to the issue and we'll handle it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I have done twice in the last 5-10 minutes and absolutely no reply or action.

Yet the second I make the slightest mistake I get warns, post bans and what-not.

Why is this?

The guy is baiting and trolling and still no action...

/sigh.

If I could ignore his posts and communicate with those who wish to engage in mature debate I would, but it seems he's been allowed to name call and bait and troll for the last 6 pages in a bid to provoke me and other members.
edit on 19-7-2011 by mr-lizard because: typo

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

The staff does the best we can. At any different time there may be a lot of us online, or there may only be a few. Given the large size of this website, it's not hard to imagine how we can get overwhelmed and bogged down with complaints and alerts. Be patient and we will take care of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Ok I appreciate the replies.

Regards.

L

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Yeah I was peeved when they took that option away.
I have to say I think it would save some headaches.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I had a few people on my ignore when it was working, but ironically, all them have been banned with the exception of one or two. I ignored them because they post stalked me, and would intentionally make inflamatory remarks.

I just quit posting for a while, and whammo, they were banned! Because, I wasn't the only person they did it to.

Seeing as they are banned now, the one or two remaining, well, time will handle it.

I just will continue to use the "internal" ignore function, and not respond. Of course, then you have the 5 or 6 posts following that about how they "win" and you cannot think of anything to reply with, and then they needle you about that. It's obvious to those in the thread trying to remain on topic, and anyone else with an unbiased attitude.

Oh, and reporting does nothing. You can get a post removed for being off topic, but the one needling you with their off topics get to keep their post if the mods "like" them.

Just a popularity contest, really, but I am not here to be popular, so *shrug*.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Libertygal
Oh, and reporting does nothing. You can get a post removed for being off topic, but the one needling you with their off topics get to keep their post if the mods "like" them.

Just a popularity contest, really, but I am not here to be popular, so *shrug*.

Not true at all. Popularity doesn't play into the decision making process here. I've had to come down hard several times before on people I consider good friends here...it's part of the job. At the same time, not everything you think is worthy of being removed actually is. Every complaint that comes in is reviewed by several mods before a decision is made. We stick the to T&C that we all agreed to.

Nothing more.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

I liked the ignore feature even though I seldom used it. But when I did use it...It probably saved me from being banned.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I've been a staunch fan of not having the ignore feature, due to, in my mind, it being a cop out.

But lately...

The ##SNIP## has increased and I just want to reach through the screen and strangle these ##SNIP##

Here's a few recent examples...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the subsequent replies by the respective OP's is really, really pissing me off.

I don't think my first responses in these threads are rude or attacking, yet certain members take it personally and become rude and condescending.

My responses thereafter are hard to tone down...I do try but jeeze it's difficult.

The lesson here, is don't feed the trolls, as per the mods responses here, so I take full blame on "feeding" these trolls at times, but the coin has two sides.

Why should I be attacked for having a differing opinion?

edit on 19/7/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Jul 20 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: inappropriate content removed MOD NOTE: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I dont like the idea of an "ignore" feature. We come here to "expand" our minds right ... so how can you do that if you only listen to the choir. If someone is being a real prick, thats what the moderators are there for.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join