It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footage From A Fatal 1910 South Pole Mission: 90 Degrees South

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I read a book a while back called "Farthest North" about a planned 1893 expedition to be the first team to the north pole. They spent 2 years preparing for it, and designed a ship to be capable of getting stuck in the pack ice to follow the drift across.

Not too long after, an expedition to the south pole 1910 was actually filmed.

The Age of Exploration: 90 Degrees South is a documentary comprised of footage shot by Herbert G. Ponting of Scott and his men in previous voyages to the Antarctic in 1910 and 1911, combined with photos and journal entries of the fatal 1911-12 mission, that serves as a tribute to the bravery and determination of these doomed but valiant men.

The entire documentary is a little over an hour and is quite amazing to say the least. Here's a short preview clip of the daily process of camp and dinner... (By the way there's a link to watch for free at the bottom)

Robert Falcon Scott was a British naval officer with a taste for both exploring and heroics; believing an Englishmen should lead the first successful voyage to the , Scott guided a team of adventurers whose goal was to beat Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen to the Pole. However, Scott's daring and courage was greater than his skill, and after a difficult journey to the Pole, Scott and his men discovered upon arrival in January of 1912 that Amundsen and his crew had arrived there 34 days earlier. After their sled ponies died, Scott and his men slowly succumbed to frostbite, starvation, and exhaustion; none of them ever returned.

If you are interested in watching this, here's a link. (Wait 4 seconds and click on "Continue As Free User")...
90 Degrees South...

Your thoughts?
Good day...

edit on 19-7-2011 by rstregooski because: title

edit on 19-7-2011 by rstregooski because: content

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I hope someone says "pics or it didn't happen"..

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

I really enjoyed the 5 minute clip you provided and I bookmarked the link to download the full documentary because I plan on watching it. I can only imagine what it must have been like for those people. Frozen sleeping bags don't sound fun, neither does sleeping in a small tent with 5 other dudes
. They must have had lots of courage to endure those temperatures with technology from 1910. I live in Canada and have experienced some rather cold winters, you couldn't pay me to participate in something like that.

Definitely a star and flag for linking us up to this

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow I really thought that film was produced on a sound stage for a second...

It's remarkable how visibility is what seems to be "0" behind the crew and tent.
Yet it's pretty clear viewing in front of the camera.
Consistantly.

But that thinking is the conspirator in me.
BTW, I am NOT saying its fake...

Cool find.
Footage that old is a good window into the past.

edit on 19-7-2011 by havok because: Added clarity

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks for that preview. Cant wait to watch the full docu!
I tried your link for the full movie but cant get it to work

There is a torrentfile on the internet so i will try it that way...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Well done! Terrific presentation.

I have pics of my grandparents standing out on the frozen Saint Lawrence River. Their boots were unlined rubber and they all looked absolutely frozen. Give me spring and summer any day!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
Thanks for that preview. Cant wait to watch the full docu!
I tried your link for the full movie but cant get it to work

There is a torrentfile on the internet so i will try it that way...

The link for putlocker always works on my computer, not sure if it's a browser/OS problem or what. Just have to click the 'continue as free user' button..

Sorry about that..

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rstregooski

As an Englishman i was taught about Captain Scott during history subject at school. Here is some information that may give an insight into his life:-

en.wikipedia.org...

Ealing Studio's also made a film on the expedition:-

en.wikipedia.org...

You may also be interested in the life of Ernest Shackleton:-

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hey, very nice post. The early days of polar exploration have always fascinated me and I can't seem to get enough of the books and documentaries on this subject.
Even reading about what those men endured is difficult and makes you wonder what sort of person would willingly put themselves in that situation.

Scotts attempt to be first to the south Pole has to be one of the most daring expeditions ever, and the sad end to it and the diary excerpts from himself, Oates, Bowers, Wilson & Evans really give a haunting picture of men who had achieved their ambition and who knew that they were slowly dying on the way back. Even knowing that they pushed to the end.

S&F

top topics

join