It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Bullet Tax' Proposed By Mayoral Candidate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

'Bullet Tax' Proposed By Mayoral Candidate

www.wbaltv.com

BALTIMORE -- A mayoral candidate's plan to reduce violence in Baltimore includes a "bullet tax" that he said will increase the cost of committing a crime.

Otis Rolley said he would, if elected, propose a $1 per bullet tax on all bullet purchases in the city. He also said he wants to improve recruitment standards and training for the Baltimore City Police Department, work closely with the media to increase awareness of wanted suspects, and reduce the number of vacant properties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Clueless in the name of political expediency. This candidate should be disqualified from office based solely upon this "plan." Obviously Otis Rolley is unaware of where and how criminals get firearms and the ammunition for them.

Never to be mayor Rolley... They steal them! How do you propose collecting this tax on something that is exchanged between two criminals? It's this kind of ignorant band pathetic scheming that emboldens criminals and puts the law abiding citizen at a disadvantage. A box of 50 "target" load .38 Special ammunition will jump in price to $65-$70. Does the never to be mayor Rolley plan to put a moat and a wall around Baltimore... Preventing the good citizens criminals from going to a rural sporting goods store or heaven forbid a Walmart and purchasing untaxed ammunition.

This guy is an idiot... Devoid of the intelligence required to guide a small hamlet through it's daily civic business much less a city the size of Baltimore.

Proposal floated, and sunk...

www.wbaltv.com

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Ahahahahahahaha!!!
xxxHolds Stomachxxxxx Can't stop laughing!

So, a thief is going to have to steal an extra $50 to buy his next box of bullets, so that he can earn his next $50?

So, that cheating husband will feel much safer now that his wife has to spend an extra buck per gunshot when she kills him?

So, those gang-bangers will have to raise a bag of "product" by another buck or two so they can afford the ammunition for their AK's, which means that end user will have to rob 1 extra old lady to afford the bag?

Or, for the really savvy amongs them.........they'll drive 10 minutes outside the city limits, buy their ammunition there, and take the revenue the city was generating from sales tax and send it elsewhere.

I hope he gets elected, I really do. He will be the poster child for stupid decisions!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I once lived in a city that tried similar measure to curb graffiti. They tried spray paint taxes, banning spray paint purchasing for minors, and eventually banning spray paint from the shelves of shops within city limits.

Not one measure had any impact on graffiti within the city.

After a couple of years the measures were all quietly scrapped.

The beauty of this crap is it doesnt ever have to produce results. It just has to make idiots feel like some other idiot is looking out for them so they'll vote for that idiot next time around.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What's to keep someone from going to the next city to buy "tax-free" bullets? People already travel distances in order to beat taxes placed on purchases.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Wow. Baltimore doesn't get UPS service? No Fed-ex?

That must be a bummer. UPS will bring big wooden crates full.......

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

Retailers wont ship ammunition into Massachusetts. Not because of any law banning it but because MA requires some pointless ammo declaration form or something and the MA AG went nuts and started suing online retailers.

It was enough to MA on a "no go" list for most if not all online retailers.

I'm sure MD or Baltimore itself could alienate its residents in much the same way if it so chose to.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
the guy may be crazy but this is a dangerous prescient for some one to try to go for IF it got implemented on a national level it could be disastrous buying in bulk would be next to impossible those spam cans would cost 700ish and up depending on round count and think of .22's it would be made economically unfeasible almost over night (500 round boxes) the guy may be nuts but we gotta watch how this develops from here

the resto f his plan ie keeping cops to a higher standard and training them better sounds ok but bullet tax scares me
edit on 19-7-2011 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
stupid

all anyone has to do is drive out of state or goto an out of state gunshow and buy their ammo.

they will never stop going after guns or ammo they just cant get it through their heads that some people are just plain evil the mayoral candidate is one of them.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This is the ignorant BS that gets honest gun owners killed. Criminals are not going to pay for their guns and ammo legally, when will the retarded bureaucrats ever figure this out.

Oh yeah, they don't want to or even care to...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
"It will raise the cost of committing a crime." --the mayoral candidate

Will be turned right around to:
"It will raise the cost of self-defense and exercising your Constitutional rights."

This candidate is a fool.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

What a joke. Are they serious that if someone wants to shoot someone else they will really think ooooo I better not them bullets are expensive. This is just another way to hit citizens in the pocket. Criminals will get bullets illegaly if they become expensive, its the normal person who will pay the price for this.
edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
The sheer stupidity of people in politics never ceases to amaze me.

Raise the cost of committing a crime? Because 15 years in prison, a $10,000 fine, and a felony on your record won't stop them, but OMG A WHOLE EXTRA DOLLAR, NOOOO!! I was totally going to knock over that liquor store, but not now! I can't afford ONE DOLLAR!!

Does this idiot have Chris Rock working in his administration?

edit on 19-7-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
My head hurts!!!!

I blame this idiots parents first. To create such a doofus offspring means that the parents had to be more moronic then this clown.

Instead of that, just tax people of solid colored clothing. You know, 'gang' style clothing. Or just ban it. That will stop crime.
Why stop there. To curb drive by shootings, institute a higher tax on gasoline and go to the 'per mile' taxation. That will eradicate drive by shooting.
But, then you will get walk by shootings. So, tax shoes. Mostly trendy and popular tennis shoes.

It just goes on and on.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan
What's to keep someone from going to the next city to buy "tax-free" bullets? People already travel distances in order to beat taxes placed on purchases.

I guess there will be a rush to go to states like north dakota.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Clueless in the name of political expediency. This candidate should be disqualified from office based solely upon this "plan." Obviously Otis Rolley is unaware of where and how criminals get firearms and the ammunition for them.

Never to be mayor Rolley... They steal them! How do you propose collecting this tax on something that is exchanged between two criminals? It's this kind of ignorant band pathetic scheming that emboldens criminals and puts the law abiding citizen at a disadvantage. A box of 50 "target" load .38 Special ammunition will jump in price to $65-$70. Does the never to be mayor Rolley plan to put a moat and a wall around Baltimore... Preventing the good citizens criminals from going to a rural sporting goods store or heaven forbid a Walmart and purchasing untaxed ammunition.

This guy is an idiot... Devoid of the intelligence required to guide a small hamlet through it's daily civic business much less a city the size of Baltimore.

www.wbaltv.com

I agree, this is ideotic. They should just take away ALL the guns and BULLETS.
Take away the food source, and watch the flees go away.
This man should be banned from politics, he obviously has no practice or knowelege of.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

www.wbaltv.com

I agree, this is ideotic. They should just take away ALL the guns and BULLETS.
Take away the food source, and watch the flees go away.
This man should be banned from politics, he obviously has no practice or knowelege of.

Nope. Don't ban him. He is the epitome of the American Politician.
I say let him run his course. Let the buffoon run his parade of BS so the world knows him.

top topics

join