It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climatologist blames hotter nights...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
reply to post by SonoftheSun

A dress rehearsal for things to come. Yikes! I heard on the radio last night that the temperature in, I think it was, Iowa yesterday hit 126 degrees F. That's Saudi Arabian desert temperatures! And no doubt Iowa is a lot more humid than the desert I dwelled in 20 years ago. That must be miserable!!

I totally believe it. I'm up into Saskatchewan, mid way up, and the thermometer yesterday on the hot side of my house (but just out of the sun), went up to 48 C, which is about 118 F. At the same time, the shady side of the house read 38 C. (100 F)

I'm watching the USA news and sidewalks are buckling it's so hot

What they show us for temperatures on the TV and weather networks are not the same temperatures that we see in whatever little microclimate we're in - in the hot, cement filled cities, or even close to any type of pavement or metal house siding, it's way hotter. The TV news was just announcing temperatures all over the US that were showing under 100 F. Those thermometer readings are probably taken somewhere where it's wide open space and breezy too.

It's over 90 F up here at the 53rd parallel in the shade so far today.

They tested in the Okanagan one year if they could fry an egg on the sidewalk.
Yes, you can.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

In my house, that thought has crossed our minds.
And, while we are trying to maintain a comfortable temperature without setting the thermostat too low (should be 10 degrees less than the outside temp), I'm sure others set theirs at 68 :shk:

SE Michigan, warmer than average, nights warmer than average.
Amazingly enough, the nights above average WAS predicted for this summer by NOAA
www.crh.noaa.gov...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Interesting read !

above normal humidity will keep overnight lows above normal, resulting in overall temperatures finishing slightly above normal.

Seems like it's the scenario we're getting...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Connecticut here.......a little hotter than normal but not much...no good storms yet either.

I think we may get blasted with a big hurricane this year....hurricane season for the south will be very bad as the water in the gulf is hotter than usual......

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Just listening to the weather report

"Floods in the north of the US and droughts and extreme heat in the south creates the conditions for the temperature of 131 F with the heat index in Knoxville (? I missed what state that was in)"

55 Celcius.

Now that's hot.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Well, we're under weather watch here in our area. Forecasting 46 degrees (115 F) for today and very hot nights to come, it's already 32C (90F) and it's only 6:25am. Warnings for strong and sudden violent storms are in effect.

I can't even fathom what 55C would be like !!!!

Many elderly and ill people wouldn't make it through such a heat !

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Yeah the weather here has been strange too. I'm in coastal SC, right now. Last summer was hotter but there have been days this year where it was above 100 and around 100% humidity. The winter was actually about 10 degress below the normal average though.

The hottest day I've been through was in Phoenix in the early nineties. The day it was 122 degrees. You couldn't even spend much time outside because it would burn your feet right through your shoes. Also, the rubber soles of our shoes were literally melting to the concrete. They had to ground flights b/c plane tires were melting. Pretty crazy.

The weather does seem awfully strange lately.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by snowspirit

Well, we're under weather watch here in our area. Forecasting 46 degrees (115 F) for today and very hot nights to come, it's already 32C (90F) and it's only 6:25am. Warnings for strong and sudden violent storms are in effect.

I can't even fathom what 55C would be like !!!!

Many elderly and ill people wouldn't make it through such a heat !

I saw this morning on the news that southern Ontario was under an extreme heat advisory.
They showed medics handing out bottled water.
How come they always do that for that area, and the rest of Canada gets told to just suck it up

I used to really notice that when I lived in south BC, Penticton and Oosoyoos were always in the 40s in the summer.
I guess it was a drier heat, even when you're on the lake......
That's why they have a desert, little scorpions running around, and are able to grow bananas.

It's also reaching higher than their heat humidex thermometers, my thermometer hit 48 C a couple of days ago, at about 2 PM, for about an hour. In Saskatchewan, 52.6 latitude...

Close all windows and blinds in the early morning when the house is the coolest, and don't open them until dark, and then let it cool somewhat through the nighttime.

People from the Okanagan know all the tricks to keep cool, I never even owned an air conditioner. I used to be able to keep the house at 10 degrees cooler that way, and when it's in the 40s outside, 30 is really nice indoors.

It's cooled down here a lot now, sitting at 15 C, windy and rainy.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Real hot here in Southern Ontario coupled by lack of shade and a very warm breeze it makes for good storm fuel if we get hit but there are few clouds and temps her are close to 98 or 99 plus humidity, which brings it to around 105, the last few storms here were quite powerful. we got hit with property damage.

Thunder Bay ON got hit really hardl A severe thunderstorm that hit Thunder Bay on Wednesday night blew a portion of the roof off the airport and shut down the terminal.

The debris landed on at least 18 cars in the parking lot, crushing several vehicles, and took out a lamppost. They will be closed for a while

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
While were getting hotter Chile is getting colder! I can't make a thread yet but they have between 7.5 to 9 feet of snow Chile declares snow covered area a ‘catastrophe'

Someone make a thread if you can,
edit on Fri Jul 22 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed link

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by lisaloeb1214
While were getting hotter Chile is getting colder! I can't make a thread yet but they have between 7.5 to 9 feet of snow www.... theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=chile_declares_snow_covered__210711?ref=ccbox_homepage_category2

Someone make a thread if you can,

Here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Our planet is in turmoil. Amazing. Thank you for bringing this up !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join