It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bad omen of things to come...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I moved to Kansas just in time to watch One of the worst droughts in the state’s history, with nearly 98 percent of the state in one stage of drought or another.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/189d3299703d.jpg[/atsimg]
More than 90 percent of the state was suffering from extreme to exceptional drought, according to the monitor’s most recent report...
In many areas, irrigators were experiencing severe draw-down of aquifers — pumping only air in some cases. Producers in other regions were abandoning corn in order to have enough water to save cotton or other cash crops. In most parts of the state, dry-land crops have completely failed...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42d716472720.jpg[/atsimg]
this patch of corn never got higher than four feet tall, before withering to what you see.

Livestock producers were culling herds because of shortages of forage and of hay. Stock-water tanks were getting low. Just last night I saw on TV a Texas rancher tell how he was selling off 5,000 head of cattle, not for top dollar but anything he could get because they were simply dying in his fields. he is only one of thousands of other ranchers in the same boat...

Corn growers began harvesting. Most corn was being swathed and put up for silage Very large numbers of grasshoppers were reported. and the black flys are everywhere feasting on the dead and dying...

even the wildlife is suffering...

this little guy was horribly emaciated and dehydrated when he first showed up at my back door begging not for food but a drink from the dogs water bowl.. now he's my granddaughters pet but I'm still not letting him in the house...

I'm telling you it is as bad as bad gets and I bet everyone of us will be facing a real crisis due to food shortages and lack of corn to produce gasoline additives... Folks right now we stand on the edge of an event of historic proportions and frankly I'm more than a little worried
edit on 19-7-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This really scares me. With the cost of food right now, can you imagine it how bad it is going to be this winter? People are going to have to choose between heat and food.
I'm waiting for the guy raising my cow and pigs to let me know how much more feed is going to go up. I'm guessing it will still be cheaper right now doing it this way, than going to buy hamburger in the store.

Cute coon!

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

It gets even worse when you consider that some of these areas/regions have had consecutive years and seasons of the same. The impact and damage, both to the economy and farmer's fields and livelihoods, becomes exponential in scale and scope. Reminiscent of the days of the dust bowl era, if you will.

In today's day and age, where families no longer form, bond and make or meld in a more communal approach to 'weathering the storm', the potential impact could prove quite devastating in the long haul.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You are so right we are in an event that will be of epic porportions. I've kept my eye not only on this country with the flooding out of fields and draught conditions. Fire burning grazing lands of animals also. But many other countries are having the same problems.

I read a few weeks back where food in one part of China went up 40% because the crops were flooded out. A friend of mine in England wrote me on their news it said the cattle in Japan were dying from radiation yet the government tells them it is safe to eat it. Africa is having the worst draught in many years.

At work I mention to those about the prices going up in the grocery store for anything with wheat in it. Hardly no one notices. It took me a while to figure out why. I do not get food stamps so I pay attention to the prices. I noticed when a box of mac and cheese went from 75 cents to $1.22. I told my son then these people do not see because the money is not coming out of their pocket. They will not see until those food stamps don't last them but a half of a month.

We have been told in multiple prophecies this time would come but many shake their heads thinking we are foolish for what we believe. We will see who is foolish when those that haven't stocked up can't afford to buy a loaf of bread and are hungry.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
THis was covered on the national news last night. I was shocked to see the devastation and could not believe it had gotten this bad,and happened so quietly. Maybe because it will get worse with food shortages etc in the near future. The weather map of the country was also a shocker with weather from 100-120 degrees covering 2/3 of the country.

A bad omen indeed.
edit on 19-7-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I'm near Galveston, where we can basically grow our tropical-zoned house plants outside all year 'round. Plus, the Houston area is notorious for its stifling humidity.
However, at this point we are in a rainfall deficit of almost TWO FEET since the beginning of the year.
Everybody's grass is dying because we are and have been under mandatory water rationing.

I live in a master-planned development that has man-made lakes and ponds throughout......all of which are only about half-full at this point. They are so low, you can actually see the gravel and concrete they used to re-inforce the embankments.

Once again, all this is in a USDA hardiness zone 8 to 9 with an average annual rainfall of 32 to 48 inches.
We are only halfway through the year and already have a rain deficit of 20+ inches.
This is the kind of stuff that changes entire climates.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
It's crazy that in one part of the country there are massive floods and a few hundred miles away there's a drought of biblical proportions. Sounds like some sensible water infrastructure would solve the issue.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logman
It's crazy that in one part of the country there are massive floods and a few hundred miles away there's a drought of biblical proportions. Sounds like some sensible water infrastructure would solve the issue.

Well, at one point we probably did have a sensible water infrastructure.
But that was before massive urban development and the Army Corps of Engineers began to divert natural water routes.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When you talk about infrastructure normally your talking about suburban neighbourhoods and well planed cities... none of that comes into play in these rural mostly undeveloped farming and ranching communities...
they must make do with whatever is offed and more times than not, next to nothing is offered unless you happen to be one of those huge corporate farming outfits

A real pity the federal government never viewed our own food production with the same urgency as it does our military... that lack of foresight might just be the biggest danger to our national security we have faced thus far...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Makes me fear that the dust bowl my once again spring to life in the Midwest and looking the two recent dust storms in Phoenix does not give me hope either.

It's a sad situation. If not floods then drought...

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I am an amateur history buff, and i can tell you for free right now that food and water are the two most common denominators to causing wars.

No food? go steal some land to grow it. No water? go steal some land to drink from.

Its that simple and with the coming years looking bleaker, well all I can say is the USA just stole Libyas water and the Bush family are sat on Peru's largest underground aquifier.

coincidence? don't you believe it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
It's a horrible situation over a wide spread area, here is just one state's account.

www.theeagle.com...

LUBBOCK — The extreme heat and persistent drought seen in much of Texas is taking its toll on wildlife, with deer, birds and other animals abandoning or unable to feed their young.

Pregnant does are having problems carrying fawns to term, and most of them born prematurely aren’t surviving, according to the Texas AgriLife Extension Service. Other does are abandoning their newborns because drought-induced malnutrition has robbed them of their ability to produce milk.

Abandoned fawns found all over the Panhandle and South Plains have been brought to the South Plains Wildlife Rehabilitation Center. Ten had been brought to the Lubbock wildlife center by the end of last week. “With the drought, there is no feed for the mother deer. And if they can’t feed, they can’t produce milk. They can’t feed their babies, so they are leaving them,” center volunteer Gail Barnes told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

The newborns that don’t starve are easy prey for predators such as bobcats. One fawn that survived an attack was brought to the South Plains center, Barnes said. “It’s in isolation, it’s torn up so bad,” she said. Other fawns are in bad shape as well, she said.

“They are emaciated and dehydrated, and we are having to hydrate them. They are responding after several days of hydration,” Barnes said.

The question is, will it work it's way up the food chain?
edit on 19/7/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Its a bad thing, but this La Nina weather, so it will disappear eventually.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So, if we can control the weather like a lot of ATS members are convinced of, why not seed the clouds and end it?

I can see the replies now: "Its apart of the NWO's plan".

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAPT PROTON
Its a bad thing, but this La Nina weather, so it will disappear eventually.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah but the damage has already done... If this heat wave were to break right now
we might be able to limit or summer farming losses to ...80% or so... meaning 80% less available food for the coming winter... wounder that will do to the commodity markets???

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Very bad news for the 3rd world who'll be further exploited and forced into real poverty by Imperial America.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Here is some relative news, and they are describing the situation not just as a drought, which can mean temporary, but they are now calling it the beginning of aridification in those regions, as in, it will continue to worsen.

Climatologists call drought a “creeping disaster” because its effects are not felt at once. Others compare drought to a python, which slowly and inexorably squeezes its prey to death.

The great aridification of 2011 began last fall; now temperatures in many states have spiked to more than 100 degrees for days at a stretch. A high pressure system has stalled over the middle of the country, blocking cool air from the north. Texas and New Mexico are drier than in any year on record.

www.nytimes.com...

"Drier than any year on record" Does that not take exclusiveness away from La Nina?
The article address water shortage issues too...

Bad omen? Sounds like it. Regarding wildlife, there was this thread:www.abovetopsecret.com...
About how infant animals are being abandoned by parents, which is a result of uncertainty(or certainty) for their offsprings ability to thrive.

spec
edit on 19-7-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I don;t have much to add but to say thanks for the information and the heads up.
I'm betting though it;s the independent farmers that are taking the real hit.
Usually the big corporate farms have secured water supplies so I'm wondering are they also this bad off?
Not that I worry about them but how far spread is this drought and who might not be affected by it.

Cheers......
Make that cheerless,
ATA

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Hopefully in at least 50 more years people will realize the culprits were Monsanto and HAARP.

Star and flag

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I was thinking the same thing.

It seems to me I read a thread the other day that said we were going to probibly go into another dust bowl, but it had to do with repeating patterns of weather cycles. I will have to see if I can find that thread.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join