It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Poverty Includes A.C. and an Xbox

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by LoneGunMan

Making assumptions and basing policy on those assumptions is an extremely slippery slope. All rich folks were not crooks in the same manner that all great atheletes are not taking juice.

I am not talking about "rich folks" I am not talking about those that make millions even. Bill Gates is not in the category I am talking about.

I am talking about the 1% that owns nearly everything and hordes it to stay powerful and create lack.

The people I am talking about ARE ALL CROOKS!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I was thrilled to get a 10% raise at work! That 10% raise was $2400 per year or $200 per month. It made us completely ineligible for the food stamps! We had a net LOSS of $500 per month.

Since my #1 concern was taking care of my family, I went to my boss and tried to give the raise back or negotiate for a little more. Making $25,400 was not going to work for my family! The boss declined on both and was appalled that I would ask. My family had to make some major sacrifices to survive on my new "higher" income, and I kept the job and progressed over the next few years. Now I am making a lot more, and my wife has returned to work, and we are doing fine. Our situation was temporary, and the aid was used as intended.

Still, it seems like a ridiculous system to work in such a manner? Ridiculous that daycare costs more than a job making $10 per hour. Ridiculous that a very small raise can result in complete loss of benefits. Ridiculous that my boss didn't have enough common sense or courtesy to look at the whole picture. And we are one of the lucky ones! One of the success stories. I'm sure there are others that didn't turn out quite as well.

Now that's more in line with what I see with families. The cut-off lines are ridiculous when they should just have an analog sliding scale (or front load it and tax it later). I actually had a guy working for me that I would actually keep his hours under a certain limit so he could receive aid and feed his family. No shame in it since the government's gonna get their money back someday.

edit on 19-7-2011 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Just because someone has a flat screen tv, cable and x-box doesn't mean they are not poor! You have to take into account HOW they acquired those things. I can obtain any of those things on the street for a fraction of what you think they paid.

The woman who occupied my apartment before myself had a big 50" flat screen, an Xbox and surround sound.

She got them from one of those rental places.

Eventually she sold them and some weeks later was arrested.

Prime example of how poor decision making helps keep the poor poor.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by DZAG Wright

Just because someone has a flat screen tv, cable and x-box doesn't mean they are not poor! You have to take into account HOW they acquired those things. I can obtain any of those things on the street for a fraction of what you think they paid.

The woman who occupied my apartment before myself had a big 50" flat screen, an Xbox and surround sound.

She got them from one of those rental places.

Eventually she sold them and some weeks later was arrested.

Prime example of how poor decision making helps keep the poor poor.

No... it's a prime example of how bad decisions make people go to jail. Holy crap, what a way to twist things. There are plenty of billionaires in Wall Street who made dumber decisions than that woman and they aren't poor or in jail.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DZAG Wright

This is one of the most accurate depictions of the propaganda machine right now. Did you write this yourself? If so, may I use it?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
No... it's a prime example of how bad decisions make people go to jail. Holy crap, what a way to twist things. There are plenty of billionaires in Wall Street who made dumber decisions than that woman and they aren't poor or in jail.

True, there are.

And arresting this woman for her theft isnt going to help get her on the right track or help her pay her bills. This crock of a justice system needs a massive overhaul.

But she is still the one who having no means went out and rented these ridiculous items and for whatever reason decided to sell these items and trash her apartment before running.

Those decisions, whether she were to be caught and arrested or not, do not aid in exiting a state of poverty.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ahem, don't forget about iPhones and Blackberries.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm inclined to think her choices were intentional so she would get arrested - some people would rather go to jail than be homeless

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
how many members here own a business? The reason I ask is I want to know if it would be practical to add an extra shift to hire the unemployed?

maybe thats a dumb question, I dont know. Im thinking if the unemployed were working again and paying taxes that we wouldnt need to raise taxes against the rich or poor?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

If you were homeless, where did you keep your flat screen tv and xbox? Just curious.

The entire business can be underscored by your view of AC. It is now a necessity. It was not a necessity in the 70s. Were so many folks dying because of a lack of air conditioning that there became a government mandate to have ac? When I was a kid my father finally made enough money to get a window unit AC that they put in my parents bed room. We all slept on the floor in there during the summer. Did we sleep OK prior to that? Yes.

The difference between what is considered poor today and what was considered poor just 30 years ago is amazing. My mother used to darn our socks, cut our jeans off for shorts and then sew parts on other jeans when we got taller, we grew our own vegetables, she used coupons like a mad woman. We had no TV. We were fine and never took a handout. My father worked three jobs to provide for his family rather than take food stamps or welfare. Even if he could have taken them he would'nt.

Today all of these things are considered necessities and of course, everyone must have all of the necessities of life, right?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
What this report is is that it is about the middle class, the new poor
they have completely wiped out the visibility of the lower class or lower

what do they mean here?
Poor people aren't destittutes?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

I'm inclined to think her choices were intentional so she would get arrested - some people would rather go to jail than be homeless

It's possible. Though some petty electronics wont get you much time if any.

The woman appeared to be a career poor decision maker. For weeks after she disappeared and I had moved in there were social workers banging on my door and some drunken lunatic looking for her would show up at obscene hours until he eventually died a month or so into this harassment.

I never knew what sort of madness riding her wake would come knocking on my door. I left as soon as my lease was up. I fully expected a wrong-address raid or some criminal acquaintances of hers to kick in my door looking for something they believed she had.

Renting after unknowns is scary.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Yeah made it up on the fly. Have at it!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Don't forget about what is being discussed in this ATS thread (onehuman):

Tried to Hire a Homeless Man Today

me: "Want to make $20.00 bucks?
him: Doing what?
me: raking leaves
him: How many?
me: $20.00 bucks worth
him: I can make $20.00 bucks standing here in a hour
him: How big is the yard?
me: Small
him: I don't have to bag them or anything just rake?
me: Yes you have to bag them
him: No Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Ahem, don't forget about iPhones and Blackberries.

My brother in law has the Android 4G or whatever they are. He's poor with bad credit so I wondered how he got it. He go it under the Metro PCS plan where he pays like $40 per month.

So many people are in other peoples pocket and don't realize what that person is going through or doing.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever

Naw sometimes you just have to take that gamble. When you're poor you're forced to live day to day, can't really think about tomorrow. I tried to do the exact thing myself once or twice.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Yes, because we all know one person is perfectly capable of representing an entire demographic. Which is why all white people like genocide, all black people like to steal, and all Asians have robot slaves.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

Don't look for small businesses to add "extra shifts" anytime soon. All you social entitlement proponents who were all over the new healthcare law are to thank for this. They will work the hell out of what they have so they don't have to hire new and face the new taxes that come with the new law.

I'm so sick and tired of the have-nots whining about spreading the wealth. Tough s**t! Make your OWN money and leave mine alone! Why should I work hard, pay for my own education so I can make more just so some lazy ass can demand they are entitled to some of it because they are too lazy to do the same? Sorry, but that dog don't hunt! You can call me whatever you want, but I earn my money and I intend to keep it! I don't give to charity unless 100% goes to the intended recipient. I have bought food for homeless people because giving them cash promotes drug/alcohol consumption and NOT nutrition. You want the state to take care of you then move to another country like Cuba and have at it!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Interesting post. I see no mention of the type of cars they drive. Do they prepare food at home... or do they dine out at the local soup kitchen??? Inquiring minds want to know.
edit on 19-7-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

If you were homeless, where did you keep your flat screen tv and xbox? Just curious.

The entire business can be underscored by your view of AC. It is now a necessity. It was not a necessity in the 70s. Were so many folks dying because of a lack of air conditioning that there became a government mandate to have ac? When I was a kid my father finally made enough money to get a window unit AC that they put in my parents bed room. We all slept on the floor in there during the summer. Did we sleep OK prior to that? Yes.

The difference between what is considered poor today and what was considered poor just 30 years ago is amazing. My mother used to darn our socks, cut our jeans off for shorts and then sew parts on other jeans when we got taller, we grew our own vegetables, she used coupons like a mad woman. We had no TV. We were fine and never took a handout. My father worked three jobs to provide for his family rather than take food stamps or welfare. Even if he could have taken them he would'nt.

Today all of these things are considered necessities and of course, everyone must have all of the necessities of life, right?

I kept my xbox and tv at the last persons house I crashed. When I was able to get my own place I would go get it, or if I was going to be crashing at someone elses place for a while.

You know when I was in school playing football, the coach wouldn't let us drink any water the entire practice here in Florida? A coach would go to jail if he tried the same tactic today. See how things have changed? I don't remember any of my friends falling over dead in practice either but SOCIETY now mandates that water be available during sport activities.

So what has changed is society, and maybe some genius can do some research into this, but perhaps it has changed us physically also. I don't remember hearing about anyone dying from the heat when I was young and everyone didn't have a/c. I never heard of a child dying during football practice.

Try this one, when I was young all the children walked to school even if it was 2-5 mile away. How come we are no longer doing that? Kids stayed home by themselves even if they were 8 years old, good luck with that now.

Our society has changed so what was common for us is ridiculous now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join