It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the future hold for British media?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
To quote FDR:

"In politics nothing happens 'by chance.' If something happens, then you can bet that it was planned that way."

I can't help but wonder if the phone hacking scandal, if not entirely planned, is at least going to see some major changes in the way British media is handled and run [and other countries if this begins to spread].

Will News Corp disband altogether and be bought out by separate companies?

news.sky.com... rss

With the decline of printed media sales dropping year on year are we seeing the death of the tabloid?

www.themortonreport.com...

Will advertisers be put off by the scandals, making newspapers and websites even less profitable?

www.guardian.co.uk...

Will more people be less trustful of MSM and seek out alternative news, rather than relying on the news sources they've always known?

nigelparry.com...

After all the hearings and enquires will the government be made to look non-complicit, leading to the conclusion that media empires are only safe in the hands of TPTB, meaning Britain and more countries become a State Media?

These are just few questions I've asked myself. One thing's for certain, five years from now things will definitely be very different with the MSM as we know it.

How do you guys see things turning out once the wind blows over on all this?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ginga

This is going to be a BIG plus for alternative news and websites, no doubts about it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
If anything is to be learnt from the investigations and debates, then the dangers of a centralised and monopolistic media needs to be one of them. There has been a big push for media consolidation over the years and with this comes increased manipulation of public opinion as different opinions and facts are silenced. The war industry has been a big promoter of a consolidated media as it allows for tighter control of its public image. With these systems in place many other industries are also taking advantage of this power to influence public opinion.

The media has been known as the fourth estate. When the politicians, judges and police fail us there is still a balance of power to keep the system accountable. Media consolidation has reduced the effectiveness of the media to keep society accountable. There are many conflicts of interest present as interlocking corporate relationships have hidden the truth and altered perceptions across many issues.

I do hope that a more diverse ownership of the media is one consequence as this will reduce the conflicts of interest in the system, promote public debate on complex issues and once again provide accountability to a system that is lacking in it.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
It is obvious that the Politicians whom were caught out, by the Expenses scandal, have an axe to grind. If they get their way the papers will be regulated like the TV News which has to be partial when it comes to political parties and politicians.

Also another thing which gets me, now they are talking about regulating sites such as Google, twitter and Facebook, using the cover that they restrict smaller businesses from promoting themselves on the Internet. Which I find is alot of horse poop. They are trying to do anything so the next time am MP decides to benefit from expenses, we the public do not find out about it, and they get away with it.

After all this is over, there will not be any free press in the UK any-more. Wither Murdoch still owns a few of them we will find out once it is all over an done with,

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

I am a little more optimistic, I dont see how breaking up the monopoly of the Murdoch empire is a bad thing. It is Murdoch who has been pushing for the pay as you go style on the internet, He charges to subscribe to The Times and The WallStreet Journal. Murdoch believes google is stealing his content when it posts stories or links to his papers.

I also don't see a problem with more regulation of the press. As long as that regulation is 100% independent, which I believe it will be. We need more plurality in our media, we need different owners, with differing view points. It's not like we don't have enough right wing reactionary newspapers already. The Sun will continue, probably the Sun on Sunday will be launched, and I'm sure Murdoch will again try to get a hold of SKY.

The print media will soon become a thing of the past and if it's up to Murdoch, you will be paying to subscribe to all sources on the internet.
edit on 19-7-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Im not saying it is a bad thing, just the opposite. What I am pointing out if the MP's have their way, what we are doing right now voicing, our own opinions on say sites such as ATS or giving out alternative news to the masses, rather than them following what news is being giving out by the Mainstream media. That is what they want to regulate also. To regulate what is given out on the internet.
edit on 19-7-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

It is a very serious risk you present and a possibility due to the value place on public opinion. The great firewall of China and the American Protect IP legislation is just two examples of this regulation. As the internet does continue to grow, more pressure is getting applied to control it. There are a lot of technical and global challenges that do need to be overcome for a cohesive regulatory control of the internet. As the internet is just one communication medium it is inconceivable that absolute control will be achieved while the users do have self determination.

The use of information blackouts, propaganda, misinformation and regulation will all have a part to play as the internet and humanity continues to evolve. As for where it all ends up is for the planet to decide.

top topics

join