It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting smoking for my daughter.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
My son asked me to stop, I did for 5 days... That was 2 weeks ago. Honestley day 5 was the worst, I smelt a cig and caved
but I am trying again. I have to pick my day. Probably fri. Since thats my daughters birthday

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You have chosen the best motivation for quitting. My daughter recently asked me to quit. I was able to quit while pregnant, but as soon as I delivered I started back up again. I have asked my daughter to give me 3 months to cut back, so its not so difficult. I have had horrible experiences with the medications. I have an e-cig but it irritates my throat. My plan is to cut back and then try to sleep/lounge the first 3 days away. Of course I'll have to include fasting in that because after meals will be the hardest for me.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It is no small thing you do. I quit almost 15 years ago. Tried over and over again, and then I began to develop a wheeze. I really felt bad...Also...didn't know what I was missing. ie. after appx. 3-5 days I noticed , that Chili tasted like Chili. and a steak tasted like a steak. I came home from work and smelled the jasmine of the moon flowers blooming in the front lawn one evening. I had no idea my sense of smell and taste had been so affected.
I looked into lots of ways to exercise. then settled on a bike. Low impact and a good workout. First day I could only ride a couple of blocks. After two weeks I was riding a mile. then I got myself a road bike and did 10 miles..then 20 --30--40--50 miles. I am now 61 and I ride century rides up to 100+ miles in less than 6 hours. I ride a minimum of 20 miles a day. A real rush! And I don't smoke.
And ....I am still here for my wife and grandchildren. I doubt I would be here now if I had not stopped and began to exercise. You can run the shakes off through exercise. However I did use a graduated patch as well. Not sure how much it actually helped. But I tried hundreds of times to quit. It wasn't until I realized I wanted to see my children and grandchildren, that I finally got the job done. Money in the bank for your daughter? best thing you can do. Find an activity you really enjoy. One that makes it hard to smoke at the same time. Golf isn't good..you can smoke. Swimming is good. running is good. Your activity must be intense enough to make you concentrate on your sore muscles and not the need for a cig. You need a different rush. For me it is going up a very steep incline at 20mph at the end of a 40 mile ride. For you..well just make it your thing.
I wish you best of luck, and I will say a prayer for your success tonight. You can do it. Indeed if I can, anyone can

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by showintail

I have warned my friends that smoke that I will not be hanging around with them for about a week a two. I am afraid that if I am around it or smell smoke that it will be way to easy to have one. Good luck to you in trying to quit.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

That is awesome, congratulations. I have not ridden a bike since I was a kid, that just might be something I can get into for my exercise.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I, too, have been smoking for about 15 or 16 years (about a pack a day). I had my last cigarette on Thursday night. I didn't want to quit before, so I did not bother to try. I have a son (3 yrs) and my wife has wanted me to quit since we met. I am on my fourth day and so far it has been a breeze. It has crossed my mind several times, and I once thought of buying a pack (day 2), but it really is more of a mental dependency. The reason I have not been too bothered by it, is that I have some really crazy stuff going on right now and so I am worried about other things. Keep your mind off of it. I think that's the biggest part.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by notquiteright

Glad it is working out for you my fellow quitter.
I have been trying to come up with a way to describe how my body is feeling, and it is hard. If i had to try I would say that I miss the feeling and the taste of the smoke in my mouth. I know it sounds weird but fellow and ex smokers probably get what i mean by this.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
My daughter also asked me quit...For a year everyday, Mommy when are you gonna quit??
Well we have been having some wildfires here and the smoke is thick and you can see the ashes in the air on some days and at the hospital where I work, there has been an increase in respiratory problems that I mentioned last week in a conversation, and my daughter said flat out that I was stupid for smoking!!!!

I quit the next day on 7-11-11.................
Its been rough! But my daughter smiles every day when she kisses me and tells me I dont smell gross! It has been very hard but I can already tell a difference in my breathing!

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Well, today started out really tough. The cravings were really intense most of the morning. As I went through the day it seemed to start to get a bit easier. Right now its seems the hardest times are right when I wake up, and after meals. Since it seems like as the day goes on it is getting easier, I am hopeful tomorow will be an even better day.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Out of curiosity on how long the body takes to recover after quitting smoking I found this list of stuff.

Source: www.ciggyfree.com...

Effects of Quitting Smoking – After Eight Hours
•Carbon monoxide in your body drops.
•Oxygen level in your blood increases to normal.

Two days After Quitting Smoking
• Your sense of smell and taste will improve.
•You will enjoy the taste of your food more.
•Your risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

After Three of Four Days
•Bronchial tubes relax.
•Your lung capacity will have increased.
•Breathing becomes easier.

After Two Weeks of Not Smoking
•Blood flow improves; nicotine has passed from your body.

Two Weeks to Three Months After Quitting
•Circulation improves.
•Walking and running are easier.
•Lung functioning increases up to 30%.

Six to Nine Months After Stopping Smoking
•You’ll experience less coughing
•Less sinus congestion
•More energy (less tiredness and shortness of breath).

One Year – Happy Anniversary! Mark Your Calendar
•Your risk of heart disease will be about half of what it would have been if you continued to smoke!

Five Years After Stopping Smoking
•Your risk of stroke will be substantially reduced and you have a lot to look forward to. You are well into your recovery from the effects of tobacco addiction.
•Within 5 to 15 years after quitting, it becomes about the same as a non-smokers.

After Ten Years Free From Addiction
•Your risk of dying from lung cancer will be about half of what it would have been if you had continued to smoke.
•Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas will also decrease.

After Fifteen Years – Congratulations
•Your risk of dying from a heart attack is equal to a person who never smoked.

Yes, it does take time, but where will you be in fifteen years if you don’t stop smoking now? You may be one of the lucky ones like George Burns, but what are the odds of that?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
This morning when I woke up I had the worst craving for a cigarette that I have had since I quit earlier this week. I was able to over come it and the rest of the day seemed to go by really easy for me. Here's to hoping that the hard part is behind me. So far I have depositied $25 into my daughters new saving account and not spend it on smokes.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Well, I guess I am on day 11 now. It pops into my head once in awhile, but not too much. I hope everyone else is doing well with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Try this book, it worked for me...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/01c6122c2add.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Hope you can do it, my father smokes and its annoying you get woken up in the morning by his cough and the smoke smells terrible

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Looks like nobody has posted in this thread for a while

I wonder that is a good thing or bad, today is day 1 for me.

I am a 3rd year engineering student and the toughest aspect that I experienced during my many
futile attempts at quitting was having to sit for long hours of studying and try NOT to think of smoking
when taking a break.

My sister pointed out to me the irony in studying for 15+ years of my life only to die of cancer or some
other tobacco related illness, but what she and other non-smokers cannot understand is that craving
doesn't abide by logic and that it is easy to lose sight of why you stopped in the first place.

My new outlook is responsibility, i am looking to become a responsible member of society and that implies that
I need to look out for my own health. I have read the tips and other methods that members have tried but I am
reluctant to use medication (zyban, patches e-cigs etc) as it seems more of a replacement than a cure and who knows what long-term effects those have (surely better than smoking) but regardless it does not seem attractive.

I think it would be nice to have a thread (this one possibly) that isn't too big where we (quitters) can post on a daily (every few days maybe) or weekly basis so that we can at least know that others are going through the same problem and experiencing the same syptoms and be updated on how they're coping.

Let me know what you think.

Regards

top topics

<< 1   >>

join