It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan = Chinese Taipei at Olympics?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by RK_Pr0t0c0l
Lol, middle kingdom just screwed himself.

How?

Originally posted by devilwasp
I was talking about international compitions as well.

There is no other international competetions which make countries want to compete.

International swimming or things like that are not country vs country event but a athlete vs athlete event. Olympics is still a athlete vs athlete event but to much nationalism

Why not? Because the competitors actually take it seriosly, the countries might not but the orginisers do.

And what about the viewers. Are they driven by who runs faster or the medal chart?

[edit on 26-11-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
There is no other international competetions which make countries want to compete.

International swimming or things like that are not country vs country event but a athlete vs athlete event. Olympics is still a athlete vs athlete event but to much nationalism

Look up world cup, international rugby...and tell me there is no nationalism.

And what about the viewers. Are they driven by who runs faster or the medal chart?

[edit on 26-11-2005 by chinawhite]

Some are yes.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Look up world cup, international rugby...and tell me there is no nationalism.

There is nationalism but i am talking about a internatoinal event no just a few selected countries

I thought playing for your team was voluntary. What i mean is the grants the governments gives to their athletes.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

There is nationalism but i am talking about a internatoinal event no just a few selected countries

I thought playing for your team was voluntary. What i mean is the grants the governments gives to their athletes.

This is an international event, not just a few selected countries.

I dont know actually, but the government does pay for the team.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Human right issue on China is just the tool western government make their people feels they have the best living standard on earth.
Been China several years that i know its 5000 years culture make it a more peaceful and civilized country than others.

stereotype is often used by CNN and other medias to make things tricky.

i can't help laughing when i saw bbc used a 2001 movie to introduce Chinese issue, sadly-compare with cnn, BBC is a much fair media on top of it.

to find several human right issue is a piece of cake in big country such as China. It's even not a hard job to find some anti-human right case in USA nowadays.

Ironical, right?

[edit on 26-11-2005 by taobo33]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Excuse me, but you said that the Olympics is now a "joke" just becuase and originally ONLY because the PRC is hosting it.

But several dictatorships had hosted it over the years and they weren't jokes then?

I did not screw myself in any way, The Chinese People are hosting the event, we are far more democratic then any of those countries were and far freer.

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
Excuse me, but you said that the Olympics is now a "joke" just becuase and originally ONLY because the PRC is hosting it.

Yeah, because I forgot that other oppressive regimes had hosted it. Thanks for reminding me.
Joke back then, joke in 2008. In between, all good.

I did not screw myself in any way,

Hey, what you do with your own time behind closed doors is your business.

[edit on 2005-11-27 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
The olympics are a event to compare nations and shouldn't be interfered with by polictics.

The olympics are for the chinese people and not the government

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
SUIHX - Why doesn't China just let em go?

If Hawaii wanted to not be apart of the US we would more then likely let them go. But then or course we would only have 49 states and we don't want to have to change our flag so we would claim Iraq as number 50.

Um... Did the US let the South go when they wanted to secede?

Maybe they call it Chinese Taipei, because the people of Taiwan are Chinese?

Even Bush Calls Taiwan "A Free and Democratic Chinese Society"
Now why would he call Taiwan a Chinese society if they (according to some ppl here) arent ETHNICALLY Chinese?

[edit on 27-11-2005 by k4rupt]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Maybe they call it Chinese Taipei, because the people of Taiwan are Chinese?

Even Bush Calls Taiwan "A Free and Democratic Chinese Society"
Now why would he call Taiwan a Chinese society if they (according to some ppl here) arent ETHNICALLY Chinese?

The CIA world fact book lists Taiwanese as the major population group with mainland Chinese people accounting for 14% of the population.

People Taiwan

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
About 98 percent of the population is of Han Chinese ethnicity.

Of these people, 84 percent are descendants of early Han immigrants known as native Taiwanese

The remaining 14 percent of Han Chinese are known as Mainlanders

The other 2 percent of Taiwan's population, numbering about 440,000, are the Taiwanese aborigines

en.wikipedia.org...

84% of the population in the CIA world fact back are listed as Taiwanese. That 84% labeled as "Taiwanese" are Han Chinese immigrants that MIGRATED before WWII. the 14% labeled as "Mainlanders" are the same exact people but migrated to Taiwan AFTER WWII. They are... the exact same ethnicity...

Meaning 98% of Taiwan's population are ethnically Han Chinese with 2% as aboriginies.

Please get your facts straightened out.

[edit on 27-11-2005 by k4rupt]

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
The CIA world fact book lists Taiwanese as the major population group with mainland Chinese people accounting for 14% of the population.

The CIA ....laugh

Taiwanese people can be divided into two groups BSR(original people) and WSR(outsider people) They are probaly grouping them as where they were born before 1950 or possibly 1900. one came in 1850 they call him a WSR while n came in 1900. and call him BSR. now that makes him a different person?

Because in 1900. taiwan only had a population of 3million+. the real growth happened after 1950. from a population of 8 million it jumped to 22million in 50years.

This happened with immigration after the communist and before the communist.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
The Olympics became a complete joke the day the Chinese Communist regime was granted the right to host them. The spirit of the Olympics is dead and gone. R.I.P.

The Olympics died the day a Minister from the Fascist (Nationalist) government of Spain was voted in as Chairman of the IOC. The time of death was pronounced when he took the Olympics to a military dictatorship and the last nail driven in to the coffin when they were given to Beijing.

The last earth will be heaped on the grave when the torch is carried into the stadium.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   

The olympics are a event to compare nations and shouldn't be interfered with by polictics.

The olympics are for the chinese people and not the government

So then there was no problem with the Olympics going to Berlin in '36 then and allowing Leni Reifenstahl to preach Hitler's view of the world through the Olympic games?

"Yuri, mate, I realise you've just invaded Afghanistan, a soveriegn nation, I realise you were largely responsible for deposing the King, the only man who has ever kept the country peaceful and neutral, I realise you just hit the bell to begin the latest round of The Great Game, but hey, these are the Olympics and politics shouldn't interfere, right? The athletes should be allowed to get on with the competition, without politics intruding, right?

Despite the fact that Sport is an integral part of your propoganda machine, despite the alleged inhumane training practices your coaches institute, despite the officially state-sanctioned cheating your allies indulge in, despite the fact that everything you do runs counter to the values of Pierre de Coubertan."

The Olympics are purely about politics for nations such as Nazi Germany, the USSR, the ROK and the PRC.

Although the RoK would make a transition to democracy shortly after the Olympics, that movement had started long before the Olympic games of 1988.

As for the other examples, the governments of the day used the Olympics to further reinforce and enhance their domestic policies, thus turning the Olympics into a political tool.

As will the government of Beijing.

However, how are they going to explain to their people that the team from "Chinese Taipei" don't march behind the PRC flag, don't raise the PRC flag, or wear the PRC team uniform when they keep telling the people that Taiwan is part of the PRC?

Shouldn't really be too hard, when you control the airwaves and the net, "Chinese Taipei" simply won't be seen on any television screen on mainland China.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
HowlrunnerIV im not arguing for the olympics but againest it.

However, how are they going to explain to their people that the team from "Chinese Taipei" don't march behind the PRC flag, don't raise the PRC flag, or wear the PRC team uniform when they keep telling the people that Taiwan is part of the PRC?

And you would know how informed chinese are because

A) you have never been to china
B) Your not chinese
C) You have family in china

You think chinese people dont know about the taiwanese situation?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can name reasons for the majority of countries which hosted the olympics why it was polictical. THere is always soething you want to show the world.

Its just ignorant to say oh they did it because it was polictical.

Why is the USSR in this group? why isn't most western countries and the US?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   

I can name reasons for the majority of countries which hosted the olympics why it was polictical. THere is always soething you want to show the world.

Its just ignorant to say oh they did it because it was polictical.

Why is the USSR in this group? why isn't most western countries and the US?

You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
that is just another way to avoid the question

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You guys are a hoot. I was born in Taiwan, grew up in the U.S. and competed internationally for Chinese Taipei in a sport that I won't mention so the men in red won't come take me away... Please allow me to shed some perspective on some things. Disclaimer - I didn't go through and read everything in this thread.

Don't try to understand the China/Taiwan politics with Western notions. A lot of what goes on is driven by "face". Much done these days is economically driven too, but both sides will indeed take action or at least "sabre rattle" over issues that are by Western standards seen as silly or immature--just to maintain face.

Why "Chinese Taipei?" It makes Taiwan look like a province of China in the eyes of the world. While competing in China one year, we were approached by a man wearing the standard ragged suit of a mainland official. He said to us, "you realize that Chinese Taipei," strongly emphasizing those words, "is a province of China?" I was looking for a taperecorder on him somewhere to see if I was being set up. He repeated the statement two more times, and I just shrugged and said I don't deal in politics. It was surprising to me that they did not put up a royal stink about all those little white labels on junk in the past that read, "Made in Taiwan".

Why is it supported? Even if a mainland Chinese competitor does not feel strongly about Taiwan's situtation, he/she must support its government's policies for fear of retribution. While competing in Canada, we were pals with the mainland Chinese team, but when the Canadians flew the Taiwan red, white, and blue nationalist flag outside, the entire angry (or acting angry) Chinese team threatened to boycott. We had to ship in our cruddy white athletic flag instead, but we understood that if they did not complain then they'd have hell to pay when they got home. They might even have gotten banned. The Canadian organizing committee for the event was like, "geesh... what's the big deal? It's just a flag..."

Why does Taiwan take it? It depends on China too much as a trading partner... it depends on outside sources in general for goods... try drinking Taiwanese brand powdered milk and you will understand. Even as a competitor, if I make a fuss then it destroys my chances of being able to compete. At a world competition one year, I took two Taiwanese mini flags from my bookcase shelf and was going to wave them at the competition to cheer on my teammates. These were confiscated by my parents. They asked why I would want to jeopardize 13 years of training over some silly desire to wave the flag (and besides it is the Nationalist flag and not necessarily respected by all the Taiwanese). So, we ran behind our Aussie friends who brought a huge flag in the stands and pretended to be Australians that year. The flag/country designation issue is not the main problem for us competitors. We often gain great benefits by competing for Taiwan such as not having a gazillion competitors to qualify through to get to the top levels. However, what really affects us adversely is the fact that Taiwan has no clout in many disciplines and it affects the judging.

If you have been following the news in the straits, Taiwan itself is very divided. There are many people who would not mind merging with China under the right conditions--ie. don't touch our economy or our identity. Many think that a one-China future will enable Asians to overtake the evil Western people who have supressed their rise. *cough* It is a fallacy to think that Taiwan is anti-mainland China on all respects. However, when I ask the young people, I find consistently that they say something like, "I don't care about all that political stuff; I want my cool music and Japanese style... I don't believe China will ever invade; it's all talk. However, Taiwan is not part of China and never will be; we are totally different people."

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the explanation on the situation in Taiwan CeramicCat.
It's nice to hear from people who live over there.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Your post states that the mainland chinese really care about taiwanese independence and its a act by the government. Who are they representing then

Originally posted by CeramicCat
However, Taiwan is not part of China and never will be; we are totally different people."

As in how?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join