It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan = Chinese Taipei at Olympics?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Stop your disucssions of the Taiwan issue if you truly want to discuss that matter(s) go to the "Can China Invade Taiwan Thread" and also stop saying that you'll be prooved disproved, go to that thread and argue it there I am not tolerating a millions threads like this where me I'll have to argue on each and every one of them.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Middle Kingdom
Stop your disucssions of the Taiwan issue if you truly want to discuss that matter(s) go to the "Can China Invade Taiwan Thread" and also stop saying that you'll be prooved disproved, go to that thread and argue it there I am not tolerating a millions threads like this where me I'll have to argue on each and every one of them.

This thread was started before you even became a member of this forum.
It's about 15 months old.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by COWlan
Why are we on Taiwan right now, holy crappers, don't let this turn into another mud slinging 180 page thread.

Americans can believe what their CNN tells them, and we will believe in what we want to believe.

The truth is that a civil war in China 60 years ago never ended, there was no peace treaty, there was no official ceasefire, so the war is actually still on.

The civil war was between the CCP and the KMT. The KMT is out of power and the ROC has no sovereign claim to Taiwan. The civil war is over. Treaties are not required to end civil wars. In fact, such documents are a rarity except over the past couple of decades.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is a thread about tawainese atheletes in the olympics, discuss that, not the history of chinese conflicts and politics.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
As long as China keeps its current repressive communist government, I truly don't think the democratic people of Taiwan will want to unite with China.

Taiwan better stay out of the Olympics if China wants to get political. I hope the olympics in China fail, there are a million better places to host the games.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by RK_Pr0t0c0l]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
What did the moderator just tell you?

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RK_Pr0t0c0l
Taiwan better stay out of the Olympics if China wants to get political. I hope the olympics in China fail, there are a million better places to host the games.

[edit on 25-11-2005 by RK_Pr0t0c0l]

There are a lot of people calling for a boycott of the 2008 Olympics. China is going to try to have Taiwan's reference changed to Taipei, China. In fact, domestically, they already use that moniker (both in English and Chinese.) Here in Taiwan, there is increasing use of simply the term, "Taiwan", especially in pan-Green oriented publications.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by suihx
the UK won't let northireland go

The UK will...its the NI that wont.
Dont bring that in, if you want to go down that road...be prepared for the consequences.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
The country's name is Taiwan. Not Taipei, and not "Chinese Taipei". Why doesn't China compete as "Chinese China"? The "Chinese" moniker is intended to be a badge of ownership by the ChiComm govt. and you and everyone here knows it, whether they admit it or not.

Last time i checked WIP its was the ROC not taiwan

China competes as the PRC. There is no badge of ownership, If your country is china you use chinese to refer to the people. How is that hard to understand?

The only reason it's Chinese Taipei is because the ChiComms are fat, greedy, ignorant, politically immature bullies

Aren't all polictians like that?

The Olympics became a complete joke the day the Chinese Communist regime was granted the right to host them. The spirit of the Olympics is dead and gone. R.I.P.

The olympics were always a compete joke. It is used by countries with huge egos to have pissing contest with each other.

The americans and the soviets in the cold war use to do it all the time

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite

The olympics were always a compete joke. It is used by countries with huge egos to have pissing contest with each other.

The americans and the soviets in the cold war use to do it all the time

Well mate thats your opinion and I respect it, even if I think its a load of Tripe.

Just asking, why is it tripe for people to compete?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Competetion is good for anyone. but packing each olympics with as many athletes you can and making poorer or smaller countries have less of a chance of wining gold is kinda unfair. Some countries only win a brooze or no metal.

Its just a event where the richest countries send their athletes to have pissing contest with each other.

But what is bad about gloating

[edit on 26-11-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Competetion is good for anyone. but packing each olympics with as many athletes you can and making poorer or smaller countries have less of a chance of wining gold is kinda unfair. Some countries only win a brooze or no metal.

Its just a event where the richest countries send their athletes to have pissing contest with each other.

But what is bad about gloating

[edit on 26-11-2005 by chinawhite]

A) that happens everywhere.
B) that is what a compition is like.
C) Its not a pissing contest.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Last time i checked WIP its was the ROC not taiwan

The ROC moniker has been gradually disappearing from common use ever since CKS died. But you completely missed the point. Whatever you call it, it ain't "Chinese Taipei".

China competes as the PRC. There is no badge of ownership, If your country is china you use chinese to refer to the people. How is that hard to understand?

So I guess in the next Olympics, Australia will be competing as "Australian Canberra". Your playing with semantics is amusing, but completely irrelevant.

The only reason it's Chinese Taipei is because the ChiComms are fat, greedy, ignorant, politically immature bullies

Aren't all polictians like that?

Yes, but we can vote them out of office if they start becoming a corrupt regime suppressing and imprisoning their own people. Isn't democracy just super?

No, the Olympics was simply boring before. Now, with the CCP allowed to host it, it is a joke.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
So it wasn't a joke when Nazi Germany hosted it in 1936 (when Hitler refused to shake the black guy's hand)? Or Seoul when it was a vicsious one party state? Or when the Soviet Union hosted it, or...

[edit on 26-11-2005 by The Middle Kingdom]

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   

So it wasn't a joke when Nazi Germany hosted it in 1936 (when Hitler refused to shake the black guy's hand)? Or Seoul when it was a vicsious one party state? Or when the Soviet Union hosted it, or...

So you're asking if it wasn't a joke when evil, oppressive regimes other than the CCP hosted it, by your question therefore including the CCP in the same category as the Nazi regime? Well, I wouldn't go that far, but your opinion is noted.

But to answer your question, yes, it was a joke in those particular years as well. After 2008, we'll have to wait and see if it can recover from yet another black mark.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

[edit on 26-11-2005 by The Middle Kingdom]

South Korea had a democratic election in December, 1987, several months before the Olympics were held in Seoul 首爾.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   

So you're asking if it wasn't a joke when evil, oppressive regimes other than the CCP hosted it, by your question therefore including the CCP in the same category as the Nazi regime? Well, I wouldn't go that far, but your opinion is noted.

Lol, middle kingdom just screwed himself.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
A) that happens everywhere.
B) that is what a compition is like.
C) Its not a pissing contest.

A)True but they made it international
B)true
C)why not?. haven't you seen the competetion in the cold war or athens now?

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

A)True but they made it international

I was talking about international compitions as well.

C)why not?. haven't you seen the competetion in the cold war or athens now?

Why not? Because the competitors actually take it seriosly, the countries might not but the orginisers do.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

The ROC moniker has been gradually disappearing from common use ever since CKS died. But you completely missed the point. Whatever you call it, it ain't "Chinese Taipei".

There chinese aren't they?. Prove to me they aren't chinese. Because i am hell me like taiwanese than the average chinese

So I guess in the next Olympics, Australia will be competing as "Australian Canberra". Your playing with semantics is amusing, but completely irrelevant.

No because china is a short term for the PRC whilst australia there is no short term for it.

Like USA or US.

You bit about australia and camberra is amusing. Some #ries still reconize the ROC as the goernment of china calling it chiense taipei is to refer to their government

Yes, but we can vote them out of office if they start becoming a corrupt regime suppressing and imprisoning their own people. Isn't democracy just super?

Yes it is super seeing as how the new australian terriost laws will forbid anti-war protest and now able to detain "suspected" terriost with out charge.

Super isn't it

No, the Olympics was simply boring before. Now, with the CCP allowed to host it, it is a joke.

The CCP is not hosting the olympics the chinese people are.

What gives western countries more right to host the olympics than china?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join