It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taiwan = Chinese Taipei at Olympics?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I just saw the Taiwanese athletes at the opening ceremonies and they addressed them as Chinese Taipei instead of Taiwan at the insistence of Mainland China. They are not even able to use the Taiwan National Anthem when they win medals.

I'm very surprised that Taiwan agreed to that.

Taiwan doesn't seem to have the level of independence that many of us have thought.

Related story:

BBC:
Taiwan has already accused China of mixing politics with sport after being told to remove adverts for the island from hundreds of airport baggage carts and buses in Athens.

Its athletes take part under the team name of Chinese Taipei, and its national flag and anthem cannot be used when they win medals.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
Taiwan doesn't seem to have the level of independence that many of us have thought.

I am a little surprised, but god knows you don't want to offend the ChiComs. Given thier human rights record it was disapointing that games are there at all. Anyway, perhaps all the sabre rattling and bullying the mainland has been doing got to them.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Yeah and the announcer said they have been granted permission to have their own team
Granted"? how about they have a right to their own team, apparently Taiwan has more bark than bite. Its real stupid they can play their national anthem if they win any medals.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
When China reentered the Olympic movement in the early 1980s, Taiwan was forced to use the moniker "Chinese Taipei" in order to compete, despite the fact that Taipei is merely a city in this country, and that China's claims to the island state are a farce.

Unfortunately, the international community doesn't provide enough support for Taiwan against China, and therefore, Taiwan wouldn't be allowed to compete unless it went with this IOC imposed moniker. Unfortunately, this isn't just for the Olympics, it is for just about everything, including Miss Universe. The Taiwanese delegate to Miss Universe broke down in tears a couple of years back when informed that she wouldn't be able to wear her "Taiwan" sash.

This is only one example of how Taiwan bullies this democratic island of 23 million people. WHat they don't seem to realize is that it only creates more resentment of them in Taiwan and less of a desire to have any kind of interaction with them.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
They had this title at the Rugby Sevens a good question thread starter i wondered about this too, maybe China wishes that Taiwan could represent them.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think it is pretty stupid that at an event that is supposed to represent the good and common things to all people of the world, they still opress certain countries.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i must tell u that taiwan is a part of china.
it was ,is and never will be a country.
it is not Taiwan being oppressed,
it is china being divided.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   
SUIHX - Why doesn't China just let em go?

If Hawaii wanted to not be apart of the US we would more then likely let them go. But then or course we would only have 49 states and we don't want to have to change our flag so we would claim Iraq as number 50.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by suihx
i must tell u that taiwan is a part of china.
it was ,is and never will be a country.
it is not Taiwan being oppressed,
it is china being divided.

Please check out the various threads on the subject at ATS, Chinas claim on Taiwan is a little dubious

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:14 AM
link   
most country won't let a part of it declare independence
the UK won't let northireland go
Russia won't let ** go (sorry i don't know how to spell)
in china it is the same
you said you would like Hawaii go
I don't think it is a popular opinion in the US
no one want his(or her)country to be splitted up
right?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:25 AM
link   
If you are interested in the "Taiwan issue"
you can looking for information via web.
but plaz don't be confined to the US
you can visit some websites in Taiwan and the chinesemainland(some of them have English version)
then u can get a impartial idear of it
also u'll know Taiwan and the Chinesemainland better
I see many US people's knowledge of china is too limited.

[edit on 21-8-2004 by suihx]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   

If you are interested in the "Taiwan issue"
you can looking for information via web.
[edit on 21-8-2004 by suihx]

Been there done that...... No how about you take a look at the factual evidence (ie. not the "truth" as dispenced by you ministry of propaganda and see that Taiwan and its people are being further alientated by the heavy handed sabre rattling that your government persists with. You could have won over the people of Taiwan by how you dealth with Hong Kong. Given the recent protests one has to wonder.. One China, One Bas System

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
my suggestion is for you to have a better understanding of the "Taiwan issue"
i did'nt asked you to agree with me
actually I don't think anything the chinesemainland do could win the people of Taiwan
I often visit websites in Taiwan
To often,when taiwan intends to join a association only a country can enter and failed,it was because of "the oppression of the chinesemainland(or the CCP)"
when the taiwan merchants loses money in the chinesemainland,it was because of "the oppression of the chinesemainland"
when the economy of taiwan doesn't go on well,it was because of "the oppression of the mainland"
the chinese government has repeated again and again the war is only the last resort,and if taiwan admit taiwan is a part of china,then anything can be talked about.
but in taiwan it was interpreted as the mainland is desperately want a war.
under such circumanstances,how could the mainland won the people of taiwan.
the voice of the chinesemainland is too weak to be heard.on the contrary ,taiwan leaders played underdog very well,wins lots of votes in taiwan and lots of sympathy in the world.
now nearly all of u believe that the PRC is oppressing taiwan
but hardly anyone of u knows the taiwan leader is contiually provoke the
PRC govenment.
as for demoncracy,the chinesemainland has a bad reputation because of it,
it can be used as a reason why the some of the people of taiwan don't want a reunification.but china is making progresses now,not only in economy,but also in the government system.
if they don't want to jion china now,we can talk about it later.no deadline was set.the most important thing is that taiwan don't declare independence.unfortunately it is just what the taiwan leaders trying desparately to do.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Look, Taiwan is NOT a part of CHina. It was not given to CHina as a part of a properly ratified, legally binding peace treaty as is required under international law for the transfer of territory from one state to another state. Thus, China has NO LEGAL claim to the island-country.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   

my suggestion is for you to have a better understanding of the "Taiwan issue"
i did'nt asked you to agree with me
actually I don't think anything the chinesemainland do could win the people of Taiwan...
...the chinese government has repeated again and again the war is only the last resort,and if taiwan admit taiwan is a part of china,then anything can be talked about.
but in taiwan it was interpreted as the mainland is desperately want a war.
under such circumanstances,how could the mainland won the people of taiwan.

Theres 180 pages dealing with this. Go talk there. Better yet, read and you might learn something.

Like the fact that China has no legal claim over Taiwan.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowlrunnerIV

Like the fact that China has no legal claim over Taiwan.

They invaded Tibet because some Tibet King married a Chinese Princess in like that 5th century. It dont take much for them to claim land belongs to China.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludahai
Look, Taiwan is NOT a part of CHina. It was not given to CHina as a part of a properly ratified, legally binding peace treaty as is required under international law for the transfer of territory from one state to another state. Thus, China has NO LEGAL claim to the island-country.

Not to take away from the seriousness of your argument but...
you waited 15 months to respond to him?

Did they have you locked up in a Chinese prison for speaking out against the state?

[edit on 24-11-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Why are we on Taiwan right now, holy crappers, don't let this turn into another mud slinging 180 page thread.

Americans can believe what their CNN tells them, and we will believe in what we want to believe.

The truth is that a civil war in China 60 years ago never ended, there was no peace treaty, there was no official ceasefire, so the war is actually still on.

They have to go as Chinese Taipei because they have no political influence, they can't influence the Olympic committee to change their name but China can. They only have less than 20 countries in the world acknowledging their independance and how many does China? They have no seat on the UNSC but China does and all these are political influence which means China can do pretty much anything they want with Taiwan.

The region in Russia that tried for independance is called Chechnya, an area filled with violence, death and muslims (litterally).

The end to Taiwan is an unification without a single shot fired, in two years time, Taiwan is extremely likely to have a pro-unification president and guess the outcome. More and more countries are ditching Taiwan for China and in the future they'll be one loner in the corner of the class. Taiwan is being integrated more and more everyday with China and in a few years time, they wouldn't be able to live without China and then it is only obvious what the outcome will be.

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Whats the problem.

its like saying ROC. Chiense teipai means chinese on taiwan

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
Whats the problem.

its like saying ROC. Chiense teipai means chinese on taiwan

The country's name is Taiwan. Not Taipei, and not "Chinese Taipei". Why doesn't China compete as "Chinese China"? The "Chinese" moniker is intended to be a badge of ownership by the ChiComm govt. and you and everyone here knows it, whether they admit it or not. Playing semantics doesn't change the truth one little bit.

The only reason it's Chinese Taipei is because the ChiComms are fat, greedy, ignorant, politically immature bullies and the Taiwanese don't want to be invaded and bombed by a bunch of communist tyrants simply because they threw an international tantrum over a name.

The Olympics became a complete joke the day the Chinese Communist regime was granted the right to host them. The spirit of the Olympics is dead and gone. R.I.P.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join