It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can any American support the GOP fight against the Consumer Protection Agency?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

Love that Liberal "please government save me!" logic...

FACT: Most harmful products in the USA are taken off the shelves after being discovered to be unsafe by PRIVATE Consumer Advocate Groups.

Most warning labels to advise on direction and procedure are the result of lawsuits.

Meanwhile Government employees have the lowest production per capita, doing God only knows what because it aint helping us. At the time of the financial crisis for example there were 9 agencies responsible for overseeing mortgage fraud/practice. They claimed with everyone doing their own investigations it was simply to confusing. And no government employee could quite understand what a Derivative even was.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

When Corporations fear Government it is a democracy and when Government fears corporations it is a dictatorship.

And what do you get when gov't and corporations are one and the same? Fascism.

e.g., GM, AIG, CITI, Bank of America, Obamacare/insurance mandates, SEIU, UAW, AFSCME, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, "green" industry; and the list grows with every new "progressive" initiative that favors a business or sector over others.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   

The nanny state guarandamntees that the new saw you bought won't hack your arm off. It makes sure that new radio you got won't shock you. That new toy you just got your kid doesn't contain harmful products that could endanger their health or safety. Corporations have already proven that they are inept and uncapable of self policing themselves as that would interfere too much with profits.

Bull. The "Underwriters Laboratories" is a private organization of corporate and insurance risk managers that certifies appropriateness without any government input. It is an industry creation, and market-driven.

Why haven't the feds mandated "SawStop" technology? Why did they wait until private organizations pointed out the dangers, to step in on certain cribs, basinettes and other "baby-minders?"

You cannot legislate common sense, good parenting or appropriate use of consuner products. The nanny state is a half-assed effort to combat the "Darwin effect" as it applies to modern-day idiots, or to pick politically popular solutions to market problems.

Reliance upon the government to provide for your well-being is an abdication of personal responsibility.

The corporation that kills its customers will run out of customers.

jw

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Nope, the Mattel lead paint issue from 08 was discovered by the CPSC and not by private entities.

Stop defending to the death private interests as they only are looking out for themselves and not you or I.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

Private interests weren't going to do jack squat about the drop side cribs and Gov't had to force the hand. I remember being in a work order one day and the topic was the safety of drop side cribs so what I did was have someone go to some sub shop and get like 3 4 ft long loaves and what we did was place a loaf in the side of the crib and dropped the side right on the bread just to see what it would do and it sliced the loaf in half with no resistance and one more case where private interests failed the people and that led to the recall and effective banning on that particular type of cribs. All other types of cribs and all baby strollers sold and cleared for sale in the US was ordered tested and chequed Toys R Us and Babies R Us was caught about 4 - 6 months after that trying to sell them, they got a multi million dollar fine. The next store that is caught selling it gets shut down and seized as well as receiving a huge 8 figure fine.

I am reminded of a case pertaining to a MacLaren baby stroller recall from 09 that lead to a massive recall of more then a million strollers whereas if a kid's finger got caught in a certain area and would slice it clean off. For that a mini hot dog was acquired and used and it got cut clean in half.

A private corporation will do whatever it can to keep and maintain it's public image as well as making sure that no bad press is ever leaked hence why there is Consumer protection laws that explicitly prohibit a company or corporation from intimidating, threatening and harassing a member of the public who has found a fatal flaw with a product so that the product default can be made public. If they were so about the consumer then these protections would not be required but since they can't be trusted as far as you can throw them these protections are mandatory.

Underwriters Laboratories Inc.may be a private entity but they are in near lock step with agencies like the US Consumer Protection Safety Council and they hold no corporate allegiance or alliance to any privately funded or publicly funded private entity.

Mattel's lead paint recall was caught by the Chinese Government as one of the plant operators tried to hook his boy who then owned a paint manufactuer however admirable he went about it the wrong way as to score a supply contract with a company like Mattel is one of the most lucrative contracts one could have in manufactuering it backfired and the plant operator hung himself in disgrace. Mattel has since employed a 4 stage paint testing protocol at purchase, pre application, post application and pre packaging which is expected to be a global industry standard in a few years. To read the datecodes on the bottom of a Mattel product the following sequence will appear :

"D19" which refers to a the 19th week of 2011 as A models are 08, B are 09, C are 10, D are 11 and so forth and that code will be issued in the event of a future recall.

Modern Mattel products will now add the following to it's bases :
"1186 MJ, I, NL" which is the headquarters for Mattel Europa BV and is deciphered as follows :
Gondel 1 1186 MJ Amstelveen, The Netherlands.

When there was the recall of The CARS range's Sarge model over lead I smelled it and got knocked to the floor and confirmed it was lead laced.

edit on 20-7-2011 by TheImmaculateD1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
why would anyone who doesn't own a bank vote GOP in the first place ? I work with a guy who makes 30k a year and is an avid republican

lol

they sold him on family values

lol

I ask my self this very question twice a week. There must be a lot of closet gay hating biggots or just really really confused people who are afraid of the Commies!!!!!!!!!!

OP- I'm in agreement. Shutting down this agency does nothing but hurt people. The banks have been supported enough.
The GOP is only for business. We're talking about people who think climate change is still up for debate. People who want to continually drill everywhere and think the EPA is wasteful. They worship the almighty dollar under the guise that they are good worshiping Christians.
edit on 20-7-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join