It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

college fraternities and clubs-

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Long time ago, I was in college (3 different times spread over 14 years). I was in and out of a couple frats and a bunch of campus clubs. All were hung up on form and rules.

Finally at my last college a few of US formed our own group. We called it the G.L.O.V.E. Club. We were of course off campus.
We had one rule and it was inviolate:
No other rules.

Eventually we were the biggest frat/club. Anyone could join, anyone could come to any gathering as we didn't have meetings. All decisions were based upon participation. If someone wanted to do something and others joined they did.

While it might seem to anarchical or even purely democratic, it was neither. Dues and participation were asked for- if you did neither you did neither for whatever that particular occasion might be.

We elected representatives to various college functions, sometimes supporting them and sometimes not.

The only trouble we ever had was at the second gathering. A very popular guy decided we needed a president and it should be him. He had lots of credentials. He was president or past president of virtually every club on campus and the largest fraternity. For a while it really looked like he might get his way. He lost out because the rules were clearly against him.

Going to the Dean of the college, the Dean of Student Affairs and others he tried to force our closure. I was editor of the college newspaper at the time. By the second edition of him gracing the front page and wallowing in his own humiliation he was not the most popular guy on campus any longer.

This is what is wrong with fraternities and clubs- someone always wants to run things.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Wow, anyone trying to close an organization they are denied entrance to is disgraceful in my opinion.

new topics

join