It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Searching WITHIN a thread?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Performed a quick search but found nothing, so far.

Is there a way to search within a thread? Simple enough. If there is a thread with 50 pages, and i see a reply on page 50 that does not quote the original, the original could be anywhere. There should be, if there is not, a way to search for names and phrases with in threads.

I was reading a reply today, and thought, "man, i wish i could read the original post." Since i have no frame of reference...

Good idea.

Yes?

~~~~~

If one already exists, please direct..

Thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Sure, you can search any page on the internet for words or phrases. At the top of your browser click on "Edit". Then scroll down and select "Find". Then type in your word or phrase...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Sure, you can search any page on the internet for words or phrases. At the top of your browser click on "Edit". Then scroll down and select "Find". Then type in your word or phrase...

That only looks for the word that is on the loaded page. I am talking about searching the entirety of a thread, from page one to however long the thread is.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Did you try using google operators?

possible by inurl, making search look like

site:abovetopsecret.com inurl:threadXXXXXX ...

replace thread ID number and add words after.

alternatively, just use the 2nd operator, but in ATS' Ask search, as it defaults the 1st ask.abovetopsecret.com inurl:threadXXXXXX ...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

I have not tried that, but i was kinda hoping for a "Search this thread" button or something similar, something easy.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...&hl=en&lr=&prmd=ivns" target="_blank" class="postlink">LINK

this page shows how to search on this very thread for the word "thread".

Basically copy and paste the url of any page in ats, and delete the last few characters that indicate the page number into the "search within domain box". This will enable you to search the entire thread.

The link looks funny, but it works
edit on 7/18/2011 by DrEugeneFixer because: fix link

edit on 7/18/2011 by DrEugeneFixer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

couple more suggestions on this thread. same topic.

peace

search feature for individual threads

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalemcfad

couple more suggestions on this thread. same topic.

peace

search feature for individual threads

Funny thing, i was just browsing the board business forum and saw you started this same topic just two days ago.

Doh.

I'll try the suggestions on your thread, but i still think there needs to be a "search this thread" button.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

My vote goes to adding a "search this thread" button too! It's a search we all have the need for at times, so I think there ought to be a way to make it easy to do. I've tried to search back through threads for something I know I saw, and I finally gave up because there was no easy way to do it.

If moderators are taking such suggestions, might I also add that there be a way to print entire threads in a somewhat condensed print-friendly version? Other sites do have that feature, and I'd sure like to see it here.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I just joined ATS and was looking for the 'search thread' button too. Had to google it to find this thread.

I was just on a 64 page thread and after reading about 14 pages of it, I wanted to search for a particular keyword in the thread to make sure my reply wasn't going to be repeating an already discussed angle of the subject.
I was very surprised to find I couldn't do that....but then realized it would be silly to add this function as it would mean less ad impressions for ATS.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Bump.

I still wish there was a "search this thread" button.

It would be very helpful.

posted on Aug, 8 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

There have been times when staff have to dig out some reply from a thread that might be pages long. What I do is use google and search site/thread title/phrase/member.

It usually works.

posted on Jun, 17 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: Liquesence

There have been times when staff have to dig out some reply from a thread that might be pages long. What I do is use google and search site/thread title/phrase/member.

It usually works.

It just seem like there should be a much easier way, similar to a ctl+f to find a word on a page, but to find words/phrases (or even a member post, if they posted on, say page 10 in a thread with 30 pages) within (very long) threads.

That would be valuable to both staff and members, I would think.

new topics

top topics

join