It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Premeditated words leading to manipulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Most of our actions and words are premeditated to a certain extent. But while we are interacting with someone in person, our words come naturally (without thinking in advance) which gives a unique meaning to the conversation and brings out the real person of you. But when you are not talking in real time and on face, that is for example, writing on a website or anything not in 'real time' then much of it is premeditated which would not be the same if you were talking in real person. Does that make one manipulative OR being able to manipulate others because you are putting a lot of thought behind your words?
Of course people can manipulate in real situations too, and I have seen that also (mostly then they are doing it on purpose) but this is about people who are not aware of their manipulative self but that are actually doing it as a result of an opportunity of not being able to talk in real time...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Yeah-Alright

Might not one think carefully about ones words in order to communicate a thought or sense of things that normally would not be communicated and understood without the manipulating aspect you are pointing to?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have to think before I speak because I tend to either blether a load of #e or put my foot right in it. I put it down to aspergers syndrome. But I agree if you want to manipulate someone you'd have to arrange your words carefully.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
But we are taught to be careful with written word. I mean we a JUDGED based on our ability to spell, puncutate, and communicate in written form. I cannot escape 12 years of standardized education concerning this - as well as additional study of such in further writing courses in College. So therefore we tend to THINK about and EDIT visual format - we don't have that luxury when words just effortlessly float out from between our lips. My God, to be able to edit some of what I have SAID in life!

So when it comes to putting thoughts in a format where I can visually see them - I have been manipulated by years of training. Having that same "governor" for verbal communication requires a contemplative slowing of thought. I don't often have time for that micromanagement of self. So I guess if I want to manipulate a situation I am best off to write . . .

Manipulation, thoughtful manipulation of others requires time and effort - and my hard drive is just not big enough for that on any thing like a consistant basis.
edit on 18-7-2011 by LittleBirdSaid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Words give you power - the power to reach out and alter the way another person thinks. If you think about it, every word causes real physical change in the nervous systems if those hearing it or reading it. The written word in particular is persuasive on people's long-term mental architecture.

But power in itself is nether good nor evil. Electrical power may be used to torture with a cattle-prod or to shock a heart-attack victim back into life. Same with the written word.

top topics

join