It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Light Bulbs REALLY The Most Pressing Issue In The Country??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
*Warning Language!***

I love this guy... His Moment of Clarity is awesome!

I hadnt even heard that this great lightbulb debate is still going on? Even still... The points this guy brings up is right on...

We have much more important stuff to talk about, and fix... Like our tumbling economy, un-ending wars, and the need to create jobs, fake money... I could go on all day

What do you think?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I still buy the old light bulbs. The new ones are expensive and don't even come close to lasting as long as they advertise. Plus if you break one you have to call HAZMAT.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
funny bit of trivia...
Gov. Rick Perry has signed into law a bill that would permit the manufacture and sale of incandescent light bulbs within the state of Texas, thus circumnavigating a federal law banning their use by 2012.

problem is... there are no companies that make light bulbs in the state of Texas... go fig???

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I gotta be honest, I know of the light bulb debacle but I dont follow I or understand it. I want to be surprised that our Gov't is wasting it's time & ours with this non issus. But alas, like the media, it's all BS, meant to occupy Americans short attention spam with fear tactics & non issues.

I sooooooooooooo dislike the US Govt & her media whores

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sure we have fatter to fish to fry. However, this whole bunch of mandated light bulb BS has become the default poster child with all that has, is and will go wrong with the overstepping of our govt. No need for our federal overseers to mandate the purchase of anything.

The science behind CFL's is bogus and florescent bulbs are not built to withstand the patterns of daily residential living. The constant on an off habits of normal people drastically shortens the life of these bulbs. In order to get the max life you have to burn them for a minimum number of hours whether you need the light or not. I replace CFL's no less than I replace incandescent bulbs Its a scam and the mandate is ridiculous. Let the market decide.

However, I am excited to see LED technology in residential lighting. It's just way to limited and expensive at the moment. LED technology is where the real future of lighting is. CFL technology is already way outdated.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
lmao yeah lightbulbs. freaking insane man that shows just how um how to i comment on this without being rude how "SMART" some people are in this country.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I agree we have more important things to worry about, but... I disagree with government mandates of any kind.

What happened to mercury being bad for us and the environment?

What happens when someone doesn't properly dispose of one and it leaks into the ground of a landfill?
What about the recent reports questioning the health effects of using cfl? Electrical smog---emitting things like phenol. Look it up, it is there to find. There is even a statement that the bulbs should not be used near the head and should only be used in a well ventilated area. These kind of light bulbs always give me a headache.
Another thing that comes to mind about the electrical smog -is it RF pollution? Is that why they had to change from analog to digital, so the interference wouldn't be noticed so much?

Also, a cfl doesn't give off the heat that an incandescent does, so for those of us living in colder climates it could be harder for us to heat our homes.

I won't use them.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

S&F. This legislated mandatory switch to CFLs is the perfect example of how the government is more concerned with gaining control over every aspect of our lives, with no regard for the Constitution or common sense, than solving the real problems this country faces.

This video is the first time I've heard anyone talking about the purpose of this mandate being to funnel millions of dollars to the manufacturer of these environmentally damaging health hazards. I'd be willing to bet that the sponsors of this bill received generous donations to their campaigns from the manufacturers (and most likely a Chinese company).

Something about this really smells, much like the legislated mandatory switch to digital TV. Has anyone figured out yet why the government is so concerned about the video quality of "American Idol"?

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well actually the light bulb issue does show us just how ignorant the gov't thinks we are! Ok global warming bad, light bulbs containing mercury good. Not to mention the job loss from closing all those old bulb factories. Look at that the folks who know whats good for us added to our problems, shocker there!

top topics

join