It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NA and AA program.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

No there is Physiological FACTS backing up my statement and if you don't "think" so......ask a recovering alcoholic or drug addict if they can EVER drink or use again "without" having to experience "craving" ALL over again.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
NA/AA is a good idea and i am very happy that they exist

but

the lack of Supervision make it very easy for some Group-Leader
(noisy People with a big Mouth)
to abuse the Program and the Member!

that our Society (the Executive) think that a NA/AA Meeting is a Substitute
for a real Therapy, it is not!!!

the total Abstinence Paradigma,
Abstinence can be deadly too,
some People can handle a manifest Addiction much better than this pragmatic Rule!

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
OP, I'd like to ask you to look at this situation from another angle. I hope I am not misinterpreting your story, but it sounds like some of your AA/NA buddies dropped you when you decided to not follow the path they were following. There is a pertinent aspect to recovery that has not been mentioned so far that I think you might be missing. One of the hallmarks of addiction is self-centered fear. We are usually caught up in addiction because of this discomfort and just want to feel good. at least for a time. When it stops working and we get ourselves into trouble or just get sick, the party is over and somethings gotta give. You expressed gratitude for the program and what it did for you and how you used it to pull yourself up from the bottom, but my question is, what did you do for the program??

Somebody at the meetings you may have never noticed might have been comforted by your presence, the thoughts and feelings you shared might have made a big difference to newcomers, whether they expressed that or not. What I am saying is, it's not just about what's in it for you. The most rewarding thing about being in a program like AA or NA is the fact that you can actually make a difference for someone else struggling with the same issues. That is exactly how it works. It's reciprocal, it's not therapy, it's not rehab, it's a framework that exists to allow people to help each other. I could be entirely off the mark here, but if you did not experience the rewards of service to others, then you didn't get all that you could have from the program, an increased understanding of how powerful recovery is.

I once spoke at the Bellevue detox, about 25 zombies in a circle practically drooling, in pajamas. At the time it seemed they were incapable of paying attention, and I felt way out of place. Something happened at the end of the meeting however; a few of the zombies came over and thanked me and gave me a hug, the kind of thing that I never experienced in a "regular" meeting. I left the hospital with my knees shaking, I felt like I was walking on air. That kind of high could never be achieved with drink. All it took was an hour of my time and a willingness to be open.

I wish you the best of luck, and peace.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Pilot

You said something very important many People dont realize or forget;
the AA/NA is a "Support-Group*,
People need to support other People, without this NA/AA cant work!

edit on 6-8-2011 by Human0815 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Yeah, you can rely on it to take the place of your social connections for a time, but you still have to live in the world as it is. It can be difficult to navigate.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
My heart goes out to you OP, addiction is a lonely, confusing and dangerous path. The 20's are pretty harsh too. lol Be gentle with yourself and stick to your limits. You know yourself best.

I attended meetings for a bit and at first was praised..."ohh, 37 days! great job! you're so strong!" then, "do you have a sponsor? No? Working the steps yourself? oh that's not recommended". They should all over me. I felt worse than when I walked in the door and almost fell off the wagon because of it.

So I see where you're coming from. If it's not their agenda, you're doing it "wrong". In my opinion, that is a destructive attitude to a newcomer who is just trying to feel their way around.

If you are off the substance of your choice, are feeling stronger, are growing day by day...keep going! Keep learning! Don't be derailed by the loss of fairweather friends.

Much love and luck to you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join