It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL Homeowner kills intruder with 44 magnum.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Mudman21
reply to post by OccamAssassin

In a lot of states there is the Castle Law. Most states with the Castle Law protects the homeowner from litigation. My plans for the person that breaks into my home will not be death. It will be a bullet in the gut (most painful area to be shot) and both knees blown off (provided the situation allows for this scenario). I want this person to live and remember what he brought upon his self.
edit on 18-7-2011 by Mudman21 because: (no reason given)

Bad plan.

"Dead men tell no lies." That is the castle doctrine mantra. Police tend to favor it as well.

Also, you never say, "I killed him." You always say, "I shot him." One way it sounds intentional, the other way it sounds like self-defense.

Plus the knee is a very small and moving target to be trying to aim for and hit during the ultimate stressful situation. Chances are you won't be able to do it, and the bad guy will then be all over you.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mudman21
reply to post by OccamAssassin

In a lot of states there is the Castle Law. Most states with the Castle Law protects the homeowner from litigation. My plans for the person that breaks into my home will not be death. It will be a bullet in the gut (most painful area to be shot) and both knees blown off (provided the situation allows for this scenario). I want this person to live and remember what he brought upon his self.

Yeah, I hear you, but there's still that pesky litigation thing.

Scumbags suing people who defend themselves. We should fire every judge who takes such a case.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Very true. Although with my shotgun that isn't as much of an issue.

In the situation like the OP, you definitely could not shoot at the legs, because the kids could have been in the background, and/or you take a chance on a ricochet off the flooring.

Its definitely always best to shoot for the center of mass in any situation. If that also happens to be fatal, so be it.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Home invasions can happen to anyone at any time just ask 77 year old Congressman Boswell from Iowa

Rep. Leonard Boswell and his grandson fought off an intruder during a home invasion on the congressman’s farm in Iowa.

A statement from the congressman’s office says the home invasion happened about 10:45 p.m. Saturday. An armed man came in through the front door and attacked Boswell’s daughter, Cindy Brown. He demanded money.

The 77-year-old congressman heard his daughter’s screams, came into the entryway and attempted to disarm the intruder. As they struggled, Boswell’s 22-year-old grandson, Mitchell Brown, got a shotgun from another room. When Mitchell Brown pointed the shotgun at the intruder, the man fled into the fields around the house outside of Lamoni.

Boswell’s spokesman Grant Woodard says other than some scrapes and bruises, the family is fine.

The local sheriff, FBI and other agencies are investigating.

This intruder fled before he got shot!

www.theblaze.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
My home defense gun is a Saiga 12 converted. Got one propped up in the corner of my room with a twenty round drum ready to go. Trust me, I won't miss his knees and if a person is still coming at me after a gut shot with 8 shot buck, I ain't going for the knees anymore.

The castle law in Mississippi protects the homeowner of any litigation as long as their is proof of forced entry. There has been several cases just in north Mississippi where the intruder has tried to sue the person that shot them only to have their cases reviewed and thrown out. There was a case about a month ago where an intruder was shot and killed outside the front door of the home. The homeowner was sued by the family but the case was thrown out b/c the intruder had already broken the glass to the front door to gain entry.

Oh and for the record, I posted "if the situation allowed for the scenario"!

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Note to White House: This is why we need to protect the Second Amendment.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Ya know I'm a huge fan of .44 mags...
did his look anyting like mine?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Dont bait us reasonable people who are fit and healthy enough to do the job with blades and fists. Thats just silly.

That said, good on the homeowner. I hope the man does not lose a single evenings sleep on this, because any silly sod walking into the barrel of a 44 probably didnt have a hope of reaching old age. I mean self destructive tendancies of that nature would have got him killed somehow anyway. Fist fight with a Mac truck, chewing radium candy, sexualy molesting a grizzly bear, and messing with Chuck Norris in a public rest room pretty much would be as dumb as what this creep did.

Again , good for Mr Homeowner and his Magnum.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Not being funny, but if you cannot hit a kneecap from across the room then can you consider yourself to be anything but a liability with a loaded weapon? I mean twenty feet? Its not that far away really is it? I mean if you OWN a weapon, surely its on you to train with it till you can slot a penny piece on cue from at least that far?

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
Just remember....

If you are in a situation where you have to shoot an intruder......make sure that its fatal.

Otherwise you could be open to litigation!

Sad, but true.

Their family will still likely sue you.

And they'll say things like, "You used hollow points. That means you were looking to kill someone", and other related BS trying to make it seem that you were the "bad guy" in defending yourself and your family..

edit on 7/18/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

I use hollow points because I have an 80 year-old neighbor next door (West) and kids across the street and on the other side (East). So, in effect, I am saving lives if I shoot an intruder as hollow points tend to not travel past walls.

Glad this family was OK.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
the worst part is getting the smell of the gunpowder out of the room.

remind me not to break in to a gun owners house.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Not being funny, but if you cannot hit a kneecap from across the room then can you consider yourself to be anything but a liability with a loaded weapon? I mean twenty feet? Its not that far away really is it? I mean if you OWN a weapon, surely its on you to train with it till you can slot a penny piece on cue from at least that far?

it's all about legal stuff.

you wound him he can sue.

you kill his ass and there is no legal stuff AND he is in your house threatening your kids with knives.

duh!

ETA; AND WHERE WAS THE STUPID DOG! lol!
edit on 19-7-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Here is the link to the News Story and video if anyone is interested...
www.cbs12.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!

Instead of an INNOCENT FAMILY being BUTCHERED to death, we have an ARMED home owner who terminated the life-threatening situation and freed the world from another dirt-bag who would most likely have struck again, and again, and again to other innocent families.

What do you think of this one you pathetic anti-gun IDIOTS???

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

Judging by your name I would assume you don't have Firearms experience.

Shooting a can off a fence at 20 feet is a lot different then aiming for a kneecap on a moving intruder who has the intent to do harm. He's most likely wearing pants which means the actual knee is concealed too...

(I.E. He'll be running most likely... not only that, but the pressure of the situation with adrenaline in your body... makes for an "Un-trainable" situation.)
edit on 19-7-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

I completely agree. I have read stories of shootouts where dozens of bullets were fired at point-blank range and both parties have been unharmed. There was a story in my old hometown, where a plain clothes police officer shot it out with another man in the entrance to a bar, only a few feet apart, and over 30 bullets flew, but only 2 struck the assailant and he died. None struck the officer.

It is difficult enough to get a good shot on the torso in the heat of the moment. With kids in the room, and darkness, and grogginess from being awoken suddenly, it is an extremely difficult situation. I'm glad this one turned out exactly as it should have, and I hope nobody would really think about making some superhuman attempt at a knee shot in that instance.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

if you thought i was baiting you, you must hold strong anti-gun sentiments. your version of "sensible" is to have a fist fight/knife fight with a 19 year old who has TWO knives? and the stakes are your life, and your kids lives?

i don't see how you can find time to diss guns on a story like this.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Do you feel lucky punk?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2cb38468464.gif[/atsimg]

I love it when people who break into homes get what is coming to them and the taxpayers are saved the costs of a trial and incarceration.

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well, Do Ya???

.44 Mag is great, but if used in a home where family and neighbors are around, it definitlely needs to be topped with a Glaser Safety Slug or other frangible round.

edit on 19-7-2011 by 1SawSomeThings because: add link

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Just proves the point...

When seconds count, police are minutes away.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join