It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Burden of Desire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I want, I wish. Are there any heavier ideals in the human mind? The weight of karma is forged in these links, the chains that bind us to this earth. And yet rather than relieving the weight we create more burdens. How often do we consider how to juggle so many of the things we want if we were to have all such wants fulfilled? How do we then fulfill the desire to maintain and protect these things? The answer is war, famine, hate and diseases of the mind and body.

But who's to blame us?

Every day we are inundated with urges to desire, want for the sake of want. For wealth and power, gold and flesh. Desire is all around us as a self-fulfilling prophecy. We want because they want us to. And they are us.

The crown is not the symbol of wealth, nor the gauntlet of power; both are symbols of the burden taken on for the people. Understand this and find peace.
edit on 18/7/11 by TravelerintheDark because: because

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Amen brother.

Want and desire like any other false burden we place upon ourselves is caused by materialism. Of course, you know this, we've had long discussions about it already. But for those unaware, materialism is the root of every problem you've ever had. Think about that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Yes yes yes.

Beyond metayphisics, even, one could claim that desire is biological in essence, in that every organism from the multicellular level on up is driven by imperitives to take in the raw chemical building blocks of itself, to maintain a boundary of some sort against the rest of the world, to export entropy, and to reproduce. Any organism unable to do these things ceases rapidly to be an organism at all. "Desire" is merely the surface emotive manifestation of a much more profound impulse encoded into every cell of your body.

And all mother nature cares about for any living creature is getting it to do these things. If making you miserable is a more efficient way of achieving these goals than making you permanently blissed out, then mother nature will choose misery every time. Thus, a common pattern on planet earth seems to be just enough pain and misery to keep you on the edge of total collapse, but not so much as to tip you over the edge.

What a drag, huh?

edit on 7/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

S&F.
Nicely worded. I have long since left Christianity, but the moment I truly understood liberation from desire, "the Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want," jumped into my mind. Wish, want, and desire take us away from the sacred moment of 'now,' and we lose true appreciation and love for what we have so far been given. Thank you my friend for the truthful message. May Peace be upon you.

edit on 7/18/11 by Sahabi because: Spelling

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

[color=gold]

the burden of desire a burden indeed

like an indenture servant who pays to be freed

instead of freedom its power and that come with

desire forces the ego to produce that wish

produce by any means so is the desired way

some will even kill their loved 1z if it means they'll get paid

paid in full being the only rule

and those who dont follow
are looked upon as fools

yet they maintain and desire exist with them

reality their not the losers their the 1z who win

by accepting hardships evenly dealt across the board

and kept their souls clean even when they could of scored

its crazy because the burden only brings loss

but desire in the tainted makes them feel like boss

lol indeed for how is this

if 1 didn't know better id think above is pissed

upset at all the bosses and that they claim

but can't even map ways for all to maintain

not even not even only the desireds permitted

in the fake made world that's really their prison

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******
NAMASTE

edit on 7/18/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Amen brother.

Want and desire like any other false burden we place upon ourselves is caused by materialism. Of course, you know this, we've had long discussions about it already. But for those unaware, materialism is the root of every problem you've ever had. Think about that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I agree with you, the current sociaty is made by these very rules to enslave you with materialism.
I mean just look around, humans are no longer humans, they are just consumers.
It was done with this very intent, it's no accident, to enslave the human mind.

edit on 28-7-2011 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Nicely wrote, and so true!

Here is something for you to ponder upon:

You worry about worrying.
You fear being fearful.
You try to not try.
You desire to not desire.
You create the problem by trying to solve it.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It is basically, being able to predict the outcome of our own actions that leads to desire of previously experienced phenomenon.

Thus, not expecting anything to happen, yet being oneself in the moment is the key to evading the temptations of desire as well as the incumberances of anxiety.

top topics

join