It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A letter to my Representative... ( an appeal to write your Representative on the state of affairs i

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I, as most Americans, am appalled by the debt ceiling "negotiations." Since when do the ideals of a faction, Democrats / Republicans who call themselves political parties, outweigh the responsibility representatives have to their constituents?

Do not think that this is a personal attack on you as I am writing you because you are the representative that represents me, but this is a general outcry to the House of Representatives as a whole!

I am sure that you all are intelligent people, capable of forming your opinions, to have gotten as far as you all have and to have obtained and held such an esteemed position. All I ask is that you all do what is right for the American people, and your constituents that voted for and against you; for those that benefit your office and those that may cause its detriment.

Look beyond your political affiliations and do what you feel is right in your heart for the American people and our country, or all shall soon be lost.

Sincerely,

That about sums it up, let's see if it makes a difference. Now that I've reread it, did I lay it on a little too thick?

Write your Representative today! All you need is your 5 + 4 digit zip code.

Write your Representative!

Find your 5 + 4 digit zip code
edit on 18-7-2011 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2011 by majesticgent because: edited the subject

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

Superb!
Also, two thumbs up for actually doing something, while many simply gripe!

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I wrote many times before and they sent me a form letter, explaining why the decision they made was important to them. I do think writing at least gets it off your chest and is helpful from an emotional standpoint.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Nice job. I don't think you laid it on too thick at all. your letter is succint, professional & respectful. perhaps our members of Congress can learn something from you.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

That's probably what I'm expecting as this is not the first time I have written before, but, hey at least we tried...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Elected officials rarely if ever send anything other than a form letter telling you why their decision is best for you. Writing them letters does you no good other than for the purpose of venting your frustrations which will just be further compounded when you receive a non-reply in response.

I would personally remove anything that gives them the benefit of the doubt about their judgement or intelligence; let them know you are fed up with their crap.
edit on 7/18/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Haha, next time lay it on more thick. The response you get will be the same, so do it to vent.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

If you know enough to know it is probably a pointless exercise; is it really [I]trying?[/I]

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Just like a million or so sperm fail to fertilize an egg, all it takes is that one to succeed and produce a miracle. Maybe someones letter can get through and do the same...

Wow I am poetic today...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
Elected officials rarely if ever send anything other than a form letter telling you why their decision is best for you. Writing them letters does you no good other than for the purpose of venting your frustrations which will just be further compounded when you receive a non-reply in response.

Here's an interesting take on the subject from an Alberta MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) and it addresses something I read a long time ago. Some good suggestions on the linked page as well...especially the Letter to the Editor option...gets yer gripe out there in front of God and Everybody!

"A rule of thumb I have is that on a petition presented to me, for every 30 signatories there will be one real person with true awareness and concern for the issue. In an email writing campaign I calculate that 20 identical form letter emails are equivalent to one real, informed person who cares deeply for the issue. I measure five form letters (as opposed to individually written ones) mailed to my office as equivalent to one such real person. One phone call to my office, however, from a real person (not associated with a lobby) counted for 20 real people concerned about the issue. One personal letter written to me from a constituent (not associated with a lobby group) was the measure of 30 real people with deep concern for the issue. The reason for giving personal calls or letters such serious attention is that they usually mean that many other persons are feeling the same way, but have not yet chosen to call or write to me about their viewpoints..." www.capsc.ca...

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by majesticgent
reply to post by eNumbra

Just like a million or so sperm fail to fertilize an egg, all it takes is that one to succeed and produce a miracle. Maybe someones letter can get through and do the same...

Wow I am poetic today...

I'd hate to steal philosophy from Watchmen, but that lone sperm, after a generations of the same thing happening again and again to create one specific life is a considerable miracle.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I feel like my parents used to feel when I was growing up back in the '70s. They would say that it doesn't matter who was voted in they were all the same. I have e-mailed, snail mailed, called it doesn't matter dem or repub they are going to do what they want to do. The real politicians are at the state and local levels. They will at least listen more so than DC. Go ahead and write it doesn't matter. Just like it doesn't matter what they say or do to us at some point people aren't going to take it anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Russh50
I have e-mailed, snail mailed, called it doesn't matter dem or repub they are going to do what they want to do. The real politicians are at the state and local levels. They will at least listen more so than DC. Go ahead and write it doesn't matter.

I maintain that it matters, as these clowns ultimately need to be re-elected. If they choose to ignore their constituency, they go back to selling cars...whatever. Look at the tea party...for better or worse, grass roots or astroturf...they are influencing policy. Further, you can join the party so you have more direct access...or you can run against a candidate's nomination simply to get your issues heard.

If you want to do your lawmakers a real big favour, though, stay quiet. Hell, stop voting entirely. Then they don't get held to account. You want them nervous? Show them you are paying attention!

top topics

join