It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A financial Meltdown and medications.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
So I have been reading a lot about the coming Meltdown.. Be it financial, or otherwise..

I can see a lot of things are being prepared for by the common man.

But what I am wondering about, the people with medical conditions who need their medicine to actually live. We're not talking about those who take statin drugs, or their prilosec. We're talking people who have had organ transplants, type 1 (insulin dependant) diabetics, and others of that level of seriousness.

What could or should we expect to do in such cenarios? Will the red cross provide emergency meds to those who cannot get them from their local pharmacy?

There are 25.8+ million diabetics in the USA, 8.3% of the country.
Source

Transplant patients: 14,000 roughly according to graph
Source

I know there are other serious medical conditions that requior meds on a daily basis..

The chaos that ensues from any number of possible cenarios is mind boggling, but the serious part comes if it's a protracted, or longer then a few months before some form or semblence of civilization comes back about.

Insurance companies, for a number of years have been limiting how much medication we can get at any one time, depending on how the Dr. writes the perscription, you get either a 30 day, or 90 day supply.

Makes me wonder if they plan it that way to prevent any of us "drains on society" from remaining through a bad situation.

What say you, ATS? Thoughts, suggestions?

P.S. I have been getting extra meds from my dr. when I go in for a visit.. she's been kind, and gives me a month or two extra.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
My husband takes seizure meds. If people on seizure meds abruptly stop taking them it can cause a series of non-stop seizures along with possible coma or death. Our insurance will only allow him to fill one month at a time, so I started investigating. I found a hometown pharmacist who will sell us the seizure medicine at HIS cost. We just bypass the insurance completely and pay cash so that we can keep several months worth of medicine on hand in case of an emergency. If TSHTF he can cut down his medicine gradually and not worry about the life threatening side effects of going "cold turkey".

Believe it or not paying cash at the pharmacists price is cheaper than paying just the co-pay using our insurance. Now mind you we have used the same pharmacist for a long time and he knows we have insurance so we're not trying to pull a fast one on anybody and it's not an under the table deal. He does the same for a lot of people where we live. I know that most people don't have access to such a good man to get their medicine in such a way, but it doesn't cost anything to ask. It could be worth investigating for people who really need medicine to live and want to be prepared just in case.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Ahh that sounds like an excellent arrangement you have with the local pharm.

I have looked at paying for my meds, perscription requiroed, of course. a single vial of insulin is over $68 each. I use three a month, so 68x3= $204.

Might have to see if there are any small "mom an pop" style pharmacy's around here..

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

Had started a similar topic a few months ago which can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Bottom line is that the thoughts of this happening causes great anxiety for many people.

Timidgal

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
We gotta do what we gotta do. Personally, I try to keep at least three months worth of medication on hand at all times.

Sucks being older and dependent on med's to survive. Without my med's, I would certainly become near death.

Should SHTF though, even three months of med's will not save my arse. Those of us that are sick will probably die off. Yet.... if the bottom does drop out, even healthy folks will succumb. No water and food will kill more people faster than me going without medication.

What a conundrum.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by timidgal
reply to post by Cygnis

Had started a similar topic a few months ago which can be found here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Bottom line is that the thoughts of this happening causes great anxiety for many people.

Timidgal

Yes, I did read your thread a while ago, I also was told about such things from my wife who works for a hospital here where we live.

Thank you for linking your article to my post, Timid, much appreciated, and good for reference..

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by brilab45
We gotta do what we gotta do. Personally, I try to keep at least three months worth of medication on hand at all times.

Sucks being older and dependent on med's to survive. Without my med's, I would certainly become near death.

Should SHTF though, even three months of med's will not save my arse. Those of us that are sick will probably die off. Yet.... if the bottom does drop out, even healthy folks will succumb. No water and food will kill more people faster than me going without medication.

What a conundrum.

THe common folks have it easier then those of us cursed.

Water can be filtered, and boiled..

Food is more of a concern, but there are those who, given no choice, will do what they must to survive.

Those of us without life-saving medcines, like anti-rejection, and insulin, and various others, are left with only 1 option.. slow, agonizing death.

it really is a shame that Big Pharma, and the Medical community are more interested in revolving door business, then they were about curing.

I don't see how one could do such a thing. They have no soul or conscious..

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

The slow agonizing death thing scares me a great deal. I'm seriously considering adding a gun and bullet to my medication regimen. NO....I will not go out completely disparaged in fear, pain and considerable anxiety. How sad things are becoming. I am afraid and I am more fearful of our leaders. Our leaders can not see beyond their own feet.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

No problem, Cygnis. Sorry I couldn't respond until now but let's keep our eyes on the situation as Big Pharma is definitely not to be trusted!! Take care!

Timidgal

top topics

join