It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sensationalism over substance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I have been around here since '08 and have watched the hungry dogs descend on fluff and BS but when presented with hard cold evidence of a HUGE conspiracy to poison people with Agent orange derivatives, about how the people have fought since Viet Nam to get the timber companies to stop spraying their concoctions on our bodies and water supplies. It just does not have the catch of someone grabbing a TSA tit.I guess kids born with heart tumors and folks dropping like flies to kidney and liver failure just is not sexy as TSA titty. When a reality, a hard cold reality is proven and the state is back peddling like crazy to protect it's ass it would seem as if it is just why ATS is here. But after these yrs I realize this place is just for ranking the poor and promoting a specific political agenda from the hypocritical stance on discussing drug law to the asinine topics that get attention I have come to the point ATS is more an irritant than asset. It says deny ignorance but I see it promoted full swing with a dash of class war to flavor.
I will not let the door hit my ass on the way out.
seed

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
this place is a user generated environment
if the "new crowd" is not posting stuff you find interesting
you should post the info and threads you like
the great thing about ATS
its all us baby

stay nd help make ats great

xploder

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Well looking as the majority of people get their news from the MSM it tends to equate that people are relaying their information in the same way. There is always going to be sensationalism in one way or another because it takes people awhile to wake up and smell the coffee. Plus with a lot of MSM pieces posted here there is going to be sensationalism.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
lots of people make goodbye threads...

you'll be back.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

Interesting perspective...

So you are apparently fed up with and are leaving because of the contents of certain thread topics you find of no interest and or for being mundane? One would think that if you didn't care for said topics then why read and be bothered by something that you are not interested in in the first place? It seems to me that it would be better to contribute and participate in the topics of your own choosing and ignore the others.

In other words, why not just simply write, promote and contribute to the various forums that are of interest to you while ignoring the rest?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Because that would actually make sense Slayer! You know we can't have that. How dare you derail this oblivious complaint thread with sound logic and reasoning. Shame on you!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

"I have come to the point ATS is more an irritant than asset" You may have missed this, or not ,as pick and choose the points to address is the theme for many.Addressing a whole concept is far too taxing.Feel free to disagree.
seed

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I think this thread left a bad taste due to lack of replies. It happens. I've had no flag/star/posts on a couple of my own...

Looking at your thread up there, it's hard not wonder if you couldn't have done more to 'sexy' it up? Let's be fair, images go a long way. There's also timing. Some great OPs vanish when half of the US are in bed and some garbage threads ride the moment into a few hundred posts.

Before we knock on the door of 'big personalities,' perhaps we could have tried a little harder?

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed
It says deny ignorance but I see it promoted full swing with a dash of class war to flavor.
I will not let the door hit my ass on the way out.
seed

Goodbye posts are against the T&C

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Can I have your stuff?

Couldn't resist

I guess I don't see why people get upset and leave when a certain topic is discussed too much or not enough. There is enough content in all areas to keep someone busy and if they want a particular in-depth discussion on a topic I'm sure there are places dedicated for just that.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Before we knock on the door of 'big personalities,' perhaps we could have tried a little harder?

Did a test a few years ago... because some skeptic threw a hissy fit about sensational titles and 'asked' why I didn't do more serious ones..

So I did three threads... two with the sensational titles

A Herd of Martian Creatures?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Alternative 3's Base on Mars Discovered?

And one serious one...

Fossils on Mars - A Collection of Evidence

On the first two days the first two threads took off like gang busters... with the usual skeptic/believer wars
had 7 pages each by day two

The serious thread on the other hand barely made it past page one, even though it got three applauses.

Why? Because there was little to debunk... so no debunker/believer war... which is what really keeps a thread going. There was also little anyone else could add except to say Nice job S&F, something ATS frowns on...

That is why a serious well researched thread flops... despite how many actually read it.

What was funny in a sad way was the original guy who triggered this, never even looked at the thread... and a few months later a mod asked me why I don't do a Martian fossil thread

This is why the sensational threads stay on top. And you won't find the professional debunkers hanging out in the serious threads

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I'm so mad I can't star your post! I really need to stay out of the unstarable forums

Originally posted by Signals

I'm holding your smiley as hostage - I demand $... no nevermind - money is worthless
I'll think of something nifty I want and get back to you

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I think this thread left a bad taste due to lack of replies. It happens. I've had no flag/star/posts on a couple of my own...

Looking at your thread up there, it's hard not wonder if you couldn't have done more to 'sexy' it up? Let's be fair, images go a long way. There's also timing. Some great OPs vanish when half of the US are in bed and some garbage threads ride the moment into a few hundred posts.

There is nothing ¨sexy"about the subject which stands on itś own merit and affects everyone living in logging land as well as down wind of it. If a oonspiracy¨website is not interested in the real thing but chases down bigfoot it is exactly as I said , more an irritant than asset. I have been through far too much over this to waste time or breath. If there is no interest in what is actually happening as opposed to a pile of steaming speculation like many threads. Then I have no time for the place. Due to the issue my time is quite valuable to me and I do not waste it lightly.
seed

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

"I have come to the point ATS is more an irritant than asset" You may have missed this

I am allergic to Aspirin. It irritates my respiratory system. So I avoid taking it or any of it's byproducts. Additionally, Poison oak and Ivy irritates my skin. I avoid contact with those as well.

as pick and choose the points to address is the theme for many

Personal freedom to pick and choose a topic of interest is not a conspiracy.

.Addressing a whole concept is far too taxing.Feel free to disagree.

No offense, but so far this thread and your replies sound to me more like a whiny childish complaint rather than something of real substance. Crying and stopping your feet because others don't see things or believe what you do is a poor substitute for getting out there and engaging those who agree and disagree with ones perspective on any given topic in a mature and realistic manner.

Get a grip.
This is how things are in the real world.
Deal with it.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

"I have come to the point ATS is more an irritant than asset" You may have missed this

I am allergic to Aspirin. It irritates my respiratory system. So I avoid taking it or any of it's byproducts. Additionally, Poison oak and Ivy irritates my skin. I avoid contact with those as well.

as pick and choose the points to address is the theme for many

Personal freedom to pick and choose a topic of interest is not a conspiracy.

.Addressing a whole concept is far too taxing.Feel free to disagree.

No offense, but so far this thread and your replies sound to me more like a whiny childish complaint rather than something of real substance. Crying and stopping your feet because others don't see things or believe what you do is a poor substitute for getting out there and engaging those who agree and disagree with ones perspective on any given topic in a mature and realistic manner.

Get a grip.
This is how things are in the real world.
Deal with it.

So THIS is how things are in YOUR real world? Whatever dude. Whiny? Nah I gave the real deal and TSA titty is the big story. More about priorities. The priorities of ATS are not aligned with mine. I posted this as I have watched the priorities change here to the point it is as I said ¨more irritant than asset¨
It appears to me this leaves you a bit butt hurt that someone would make this assessment and say something about it. Will you all miss me so much you must challenge why I choose to diminish my participation?
I have to comment on your parting shot of ¨this is how things are in the REAL world¨ LMAO this is how things are on the interweb not real life, maybe step away from the screen and look out side?
seed

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

It's pretty damn awful, but true enough. The fight-club threads take off and I used to enjoy them a lot. Unless it's an outrageous collection of misinformation, particularly about history, I tend to steer clear of them.

One thing caught my eye though, the 3rd thread you linked that...

On the first two days the first two threads took off like gang busters... with the usual skeptic/believer wars had 7 pages each by day two

The serious thread on the other hand barely made it past page one, even though it got three applauses.

It got 8 pages and 63 flags.

One of those flags was mine.

The best thread I've posted got 7 replies

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It got 8 pages and 63 flags.

yeah it did in the long run... but we had to drag people into it

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
If you are expecting the world to beat a path to your door you will always be disappointed. I know you have important information about something going on right where you live.
How many people have to read and respond to your post before you feel it was worth it? 2? 5?50?

Everything you said is true. Now you just have to figure out how to work with it. Seriously. Yes, they are poisoning people in the Pacific Northwest and the timber companies and government don't give a damn who gets in their way.

You never know who might read it here and be able to help or bring resources to play. ATS is a platform for many things. Don't get jealous because people happen to have an interest in UFO's or bigfoot. The world if full of trite subjects and some of them are scientifically ridiculous - but this is a conspiracy website after all where one man's nonsense is another man's life interest.
You are allowing a perceived lack of interest in something affect your ability to convey some important information.
If you don't do it who will? Sometimes life puts us in positions we don't want to be in but it usually happens for a purpose.

You can usually get friends to check out your new threads if you message them to let them know about it. I had to find it from Kandinskys link otherwise I'd have never seen it.

For the record you should know that "goodbye" or "my last post" threads won't stay up.

Best wishes to you and your community my friend.
edit on 19-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Appreciate the sentiment but said I was going back to lurking for news. Apparently you misconstrued my not letting the door hit my arse as more than just a statement about the fact this is hardly the first place WE have had similar disinterest. We( me and MY family) have been banging doors since 99 over this issue and others even longer. You have seen ALL the news available about this, Not much, after cancers and death have stolen my neighbors and sickness has stolen my childrenś future.I no longer have the patience to ¨go on about it¨ without some interest, knocked on and down too many doors to get to where it is even being covered at all.
I suggest rather than pick this post apart it might do better to assess the substance of what I have posted and realize it is NOT only here in the PNW. I have given ATS all the info asked and will continue to update my existing posts (and have) but as I said ẅill not let the door hit me in the arse over posting here.
And yes, I did have higher expectations from a conspiracy site when presented an ongoing and exposed conspiracy of this magnitude. But as I also said this is not the first stop I have made, nor will it be the last.
This post addresses that ATS is slipping into sensationalism over substance by my several yrs of reading posts here. Also that the headlines of posts are becoming more wild and outrageous to get Sś andFś. I have watched jewels of importance go down to TSA titty( my new favorite lame post) and not just this issue but many others. It is the nature of ATS now and is in contrast to what drew me here originally.
So please look at the thrust of the post which is sensationalism over substance, and go down the new posts and see if I may have a small point to make. Asktheanimals you are a very decent person and great mod but you are really misunderstanding my position. I do not have time to ¨Push¨ this issue here and do what it takes to
1) continue to fight the problem
2) Stay healthy enough to want to keep fighting
3) put the info in places it will be a) usefull b) painful to those doing this and c) recieved with the gravity the situation calls for
As I said I will continue to lurk the news but my energies on this issue will not be squandered as they are quite finite at this point. I hope this brings clarity to my point, That this is NOT a bitter goodbye but a strong realization of a downward creep in what draws interest here anymore and an attempt to bring it to light(board Biz).
But yes I am not above admitting a certain resignation to entropy as I posted this.
seed
Mea Culpa I said I would go back to lurking news in another post. Just another example of why I will not be posting more than updates any more. I have way too many irons in the fire to keep track of every word here over several posts. And much more important things to keep straight than my post on an internet forum. Like the chemistry of the case we are submitting which I am developing.
I guess this really boils down to where is my time and energy going to give the most bang for my energy bucks?
Well for ME lurking and reading news here is all I feel is worthy of my time. I have two issues which are foremost for me and my family. Pesticide exposure and that Cannabis is what has stood between me and death many times since. Neither is popular here and I am not trying to challenge the TOS on it further.
I hope this will be read as it is over a few paragraphs but more I hope it is understood that I have limited time or energy for pushing what should be grabbed at this point in my life.I am quite ill and have a short fuse after yrs of this fight.
edit on 19-7-2011 by mustard seed because: Clarification

posted on Jul, 19 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I apologize, I think I did misconstrue what you had said. I was trying to be encouraging in a rather negative way - that may have been inappropriate.
Thank you for all the work you have put in to this issue. As you said it's not just you and your neighbors that are suffering.
I guess some of the very worst news is what we feel the need to ignore the most. That may be the crux of this issue here.
At any rate the fault is certainly not yours and I am sorry if I intimated that in any way.
Just so you know I have a brain tumor as well. I'm lucky it's metastasizing very slowly but it's something I loathe going back to get MRI's done for. I don't want to know the truth about it so I think it does relate how I mentioned above.
I wish I had some answers for you or knew of any way to help but I don't.
That doesn't mean I won't be thinking about it though

Again, my sincere apologies, I have no idea of what you have already been through.
May health and happiness walk beside you and best of luck to you in all your endeavors.

~Asktheanimals

top topics

join