It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix hacked?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Anyone out there having a hard time getting into Netflix?

My wife was watching a movie and when it ended..

no more Netflix..

can't get it on my p.c. or my Ipad either..

called my friend and he can't get on Netflix either..

maybe they got hacked by Anon??

read this..

Netflix seemed to be operating on that fairly straightforward logic Tuesday, when it said subscribers who want unlimited access both to the DVDs the company mails out as well as the video it streams online will have to pay 60% more per month -- $15.98 rather than $9.99. Customers were perturbed, at least as much as Coke fans who heard the company wanted to cajole a few more coins from them when the sun w

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Same thing happened to me. I was watching netfix on my sisters account from PS3 after the movie, some rows weren't displaying movies then I tried to log out and log back in and it wouldn't let me on..... I figured my sis might have ended her account or shut me out....... I hope it's not another "good" deed from Anon that we all should be thankful for?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Hacked? Well anything is possible, but Netflix could also just be down for the count. Unless Anon/LulzSec is pissed about the rise in monthly fees?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Working fine for me, just started a new southpark just now!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

hmmm..

still not working here..

any one else have it working for them?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Just flipped to another episode of south park and all is still working well......

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Im in Ottawa Canada and Mines down as well.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
its working for me but I can say its been a little buggy for me for about a week

I keep getting "this cannot be played right now" or "there was an error adding your movie" but it always works on the 2nd try

I think its probably a side effect of updating things

and for the record, I am also annoyed at the price increase, but I also accept that it was inevitable

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Just logged onto my netflix.. won't work on the Ipod, but works fine on computer and xbox.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I had to change my pass as my login credentials weren't working. Still I cannot use the netflix plugin form media center....It never had a problem until today. I can watch movies through my browser but that's not how I use the service.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
LOLZ!!!

If this was an Anon attack (lulzsec has disbanded remember after 30 days of lulz!) you would find it clearly showing on there web site as you tried to login.

Anon have not claimed this one... and i dont think they will either.

If they did.. it would be simply to stop you watching all that rubbish and make you step out side and take a look at the real world for a while instead. lmao.

No news from the irc or twitter about it.. so looks like its just general maintenance... which would only affect certain servers anyway... hence some of you can connect and some of you cant... It was prolly listed in the Planned Maintenance section which most people never read anyway.

anonymouSabuThe Real Sabu: We are busy. Dont mind our slow tweets. Media. Federal Contractors. Royal Families. We are going hard on you. Our people rise and resist!

Latest tweet from Anon... "Media?" ... i would be very surprised if this is them... but if it is.. its for the reason i stated above.

WAKE UP AND STOP WATCHING ALL THE CRAP!!! ITS DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU SITTING THERE WATCHING SO YOU CAN'T WAKE UP AND SMELL THE BURNING BODIES!!!!!

if(rant"finished","rant more" else "stfu")

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Did a quick google search

Huffpost Netflix Down

Netflix's streaming services appear to be offline for many users, who have taken to Twitter to report the disruption. According to DownRightNow, the outage seems to have taken place sometime after 5 p.m. ET on Sunday. Netflix has yet to respond to the issue via the company's official tech blog, or on Twitter @NetflixHelps. A representative for the company was not immediately available for comment. Netflix recently announced that it will discontinue its existing $9.99 service plan consisting of DVDs by mail, as well as unlimited streaming content. Instead, two separate plans will be available, one for streaming and one for DVDs, each costing $7.99. Customers can still opt for a streaming and DVD subscription, but they'll be charged $15.98 per month for the combination.

Netflix outage

BYTE -- Netflix streaming went down for several hours Sunday night. According to reports on Twitter and BYTE editors testing it around the nation, the system failed across various platforms beginning at approximately 4 p.m. Pacific Time. At 8:30 p.m. PT, the system was not fully up and running. A customer service representative confirmed to our reporters that the system was in fact down. The Los Gatos, CA company has yet to report the reasons for the outage. Users across consoles, mobile devices and their computers reported the outage -- and their outrage -- Sunday evening on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. Our editors tested and confirmed Netflix was down at locations nationwide and on varous devices before reporting this story. Speculation that hackers were responsible for the Netflix failure remains just that. That was by no means clear at this writing. Sunday night's outage was wide-ranging, according to our testers and online reports. And it cuts deep for this public company.

Here are some Tweets from users: "@Netflix is down. Maybe anonymous hacked them after that 60% increase" "People complaining about Netflix price increases, can't complain about Netflix being down. More users = more demand = higher prices." "Becoming friends with Hulu+ on @Xbox since the @Netflixstreaming is down. I got options!"

edit on 17-7-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I only experienced it being down for around 30 minutes here in North Texas, but I can't say if it was down before hand.

The funny thing though,I went to their website to trouble shoot and it would not load up either. Two computers acted like the website just plain didn't exists.So I google searched and saw comments on various websites of people who called customer service and CS said they had no idea what the problem was.

I'm betting on a hack attempt or someone at Netflix hit a wrong button. If it was hacked and people are that mad over a price increase, they should go after those that forced Netflix hand. Yes they would raise prices anyway, but this one was because people like Sony wanted some more money for the rights to their movies.

For those who still don't have it back, give it time. It should come back soon enough. I feel your pain though...had a big night planned that almost went down the crapper.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Streaming via PC is ok for me.
But Streaming via wireless blu-ray player is not working at all.
Not even attempting connection. An immediate error, usually It just asks for a new code.
my player is a Vizio.

The Macs and PC's here are having no issues.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Streaming via PC is ok for me.
But Streaming via wireless blu-ray player is not working at all.
Not even attempting connection. An immediate error, usually It just asks for a new code.
my player is a Vizio.

The Macs and PC's here are having no issues.

sounds u've gotten great stuff.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by majortackle

If you mean the equipment...It's hand-me downs from work.
Older machines that have been replaced.. we can buy them at sort of an auction style sale. Still pretty good items.
The newest Mac is 5 years old.

And the Vizio was a Wal-mart special..130 bucks for blu-ray, built-in wireless. and a few internet apps..One of which is Netflix...Works pretty well.. I'm pretty sure I've seen the Player on sale at 99 bucks recently..if you're interested. The model is a VBR-220...
Sony had a similarly priced model...But one Caveat....It's "internet ready"....meaning you have to buy a wireless adapter seperately.. The Vizio is all self contained..And it all works!

BTW...The Netflix app is working now.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
LOL why didn't I just check facebook? silly me.....

Netflix
For those of you having difficulty streaming tonight, our apologies - we're aware of the issue and working to fix it as quickly as possible.
4 hours ago · 37062434 ·LikeUnlike ·
2,434 people like this..View all 3,706 comments.Write a comment.....

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

Thanks Tygart for the info..

well, now we know...

all is good now..

new topics

top topics

join