It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incandescent bulbs get a one year extension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Looks like they bought us a little more time to fight the original travesty. They were able to sneak this in as an amendment.

On one hand, I am glad to see them staying out of personal freedom for another year. On the other hand, I am sickened by the way government works, how for better or worse, they can never do things straight forward, and instead resort to sneaking amendments into bills, more often than not where the two have nothing to do with one another.

The U.S. House approved a provision to save for a year the 100-watt incandescent light bulb, which has become a pear-shaped symbol of personal freedom to some Republicans.

Lawmakers passed on a voice vote an amendment to energy- spending legislation for fiscal year 2012 barring the Energy Department from implementing or enforcing lighting-efficiency standards set by 2007 legislation. The law would effectively push the traditional bulbs off store shelves, starting with the 100-watt version next year.

Source
Additional reference

So they still plan on forcing this on the American people, but we have a little more time to try and get the government to listen to the people.

It is only a battle victory. The war rages on.
edit on 17-7-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Here is a great video to watch...

enjoy!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I am surprised we haven't seen any protestors breaking some of these in the capitol buildings, senate or house office buildings. Have the government have to evacuate some rooms for these toxic 'green' bulbs and maybe we can get them to change it.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
They don't really save all that much in terms of environment. And if you're just using regular bulbs, are you really going to save that much in the way of energy?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
HOLY CRAP
there are procedures for cleaning up a broken cf light bulb.
this is the first i've ever heard of it.
i didn't think they were supposed be dangerous?

heck i was just gonna complain about the fact they just suck. now i find out that they are hazardous to my health and there are rules to safely clean a broken cf light bulb. even worse from my point of view about a year ago i had about 100 normal florescent bulbs break at once in an enclosed space, does this mean i'm screwed?

as for the compact florescent bulbs. they are totally useless, i have found that i have to use a 100w cf bulb to get almost the same light i get off a 60w normal bulb. then there is the fact that in my experience a normal bulb is far cheaper than a cf bulb. add on top of that i have found that a normal bulb lasts for YEARS, where a cf bulb will only last a couple months,(if lucky).
on top of THAT even there is the fact that cf bulbs will not fit into a good chunk of standard light fixtures, (the darned fragile things tend to even break trying to put the cover back on, OH CRAP that's really bad apparently, oops).

i tried cf bulbs, they sucked so i went back to the old standard bulbs, as they are better in every respect. NOW they want to force us to use dangerous, super fragile, expensive, not even emitting same light level, light bulbs that don't last even near as long?.

guess i'll have to go out and start hording a good reliable product because BIG BROTHER has their hands in a corporations pocketbook, and want to FORCE us to use expensive, hazardous crap. TO save the environment? is that warped or what. personally i don't think that using something to save a little bit of power, that is apparently hazardous to me, is good for the environment. sure lets save some energy don't worry about the actual environment (if not good for me how good can it be for the environment?)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by baddmove

I am surprised we haven't seen any protestors breaking some of these in the capitol buildings, senate or house office buildings. Have the government have to evacuate some rooms for these toxic 'green' bulbs and maybe we can get them to change it.

The "new" molitoff cocktail. Environmental terrorism style.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Serious question.

Is there any LOGICAL reason they are banning normal lightbulbs.

Also like to add that I am going to make a Come and Take It flag pic with a lightulb on it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

In all honesty, I think that the government wants to support China's growth and economy, pollute the waters and land, affect peoples mental capacities and get people accustomed to accepting more authoritarian law.

I say that without any exaggeration.

When the government/elite do something, it usually serves multiple goals. I don't think that they had any good intent when trying to ban incandescents. The governments record doesn't really support the claim that they are all that concerned with the environment.

new topics

top topics

join