It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all the Flood water go?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
For the record, my personal opinion regarding the evolution v creationism philosophy is quite blurred right now. While evolution 'sounds' logical, it doesnt quite sit right with me. Creationism does but I find it difficult to understand it having no religious faith other than that of science. A catch 22 I guess.

However, the point of this topic is quite simple this.. Where did all the flood water go?

I came across a page from the USGS site, called: How much water is there, on, in and above the Earth and must admit, was taken back by just how little water there actually is.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/04a49d4ca276.jpg[/atsimg]

As you know, the Earth is a watery place. But just how much water exists on, in, and above our planet? The picture to the left shows the size of a sphere that would contain all of Earth's water in comparison to the size of the Earth. You're probably thinking I missed a decimal point when running my calculator since surely all the water on, in, and above the Earth would fill a ball a lot larger than that "tiny" blue sphere sitting on the United States, reaching from about Salt Lake City, Utah to Topeka, Kansas. But, no, this diagram is indeed correct.

About 70 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth's water. But water also exists in the air as water vapor, in rivers and lakes, in icecaps and glaciers, in the ground as soil moisture and aquifers, and even in you and your dog. Still, all that water would fit into that tiny ball. The ball is actually much larger than it looks like on your computer monitor or printed page because we're talking about volume, a 3-dimensional shape, but trying to show it on a flat, 2-dimensional screen or piece of paper. That tiny water bubble has a diameter of about 860 miles, meaning the height (towards your vision) would be 860 miles high, too! That is a lot of water.
Source

Now assuming this data is more-or-less correct, where has all the flood water gone to?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Understanding this tends to help

Water Cycle

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Condensation/evaporation.

2nd line.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I understand the the principles of water cycles, the data on the USGS page attempts to take this into account when calculating all of the earth's water..

If all of Earth's water (oceans, icecaps and glaciers, lakes, rivers, ground water, and water in the atmosphere was put into a sphere, then the diameter of that water ball would be about 860 miles (about 1,385 kilometers) across, a bit more than the distance between Salt Lake City, Utah to Topeka, Kansas. The volume of all water would be about 332.5 million cubic miles (mi3), or 1,386 million cubic kilometers (km3). The picture at the top of this page illustrates this. A cubic mile of water equals more than 1.1 trillion gallons. A cubic kilometer of water equals about 264 billion gallons.

Of course we all contain water as does all living creatures, but even so, there is so little water dont you think?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Understanding this tends to help

Water Cycle

How does that explain the trillions and trillions of tons of water that would have seemingly vanished in the space of 2000 years??
edit on 17-7-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

EDIT:

Id suggest watching these videos.....

The whole series is well worth a watch...." Why do people laugh at creationists " - By Thunderf00t

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

sometimes when there is an EQ the water dissapears in the earth. In fact in just the past couple weeks there have been rivers and lakes just dissapear into the earth.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Its a blatant lie....

Only animals with nostrils were brought on....so why have we still got insects and animals without nostrils??

My guess is this.

There was a flood...but it was a localized flood. The people believed it was world wide because...they were morons.

There was no need to get rid of trillions of tons of water....as it wasnt here in the first place.

40 days and nights of rain cannot cause a global flood....because there is not, and never has been that amount of water present on our pale blue rock.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The better question would be where did all the water come from to cause the flood. Answer the impossibility of this have the answer to the impossibility of the other

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Most of it was from the Tidal waves caused by the now known Brown Dwarf Star that is in a long orbit around our Sun. The rest evaporated. Also there was a lot less water back then.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
ararat is 16,854 feet high. almost three miles high. think about that. the titanic lies at 10,500 or so. 40 days of constant rain would not produce that amount. even though i am christian, i have never believed the ark story. the science just doe not hold up. also, according to the bible, noah and his sons were the only ones left. that means noah would have had to have a black son, an asian son etc..... also, first cousin had to marry first cousin and maybe even brother and sister. so, we would all be distant relatives of incest. where are the stories of the descendants traveling to america, asia, south america?

personally, i do believe that god did make the world. it just took an AWFUL long time to do so.

around 10,000 years ago, the mediterranean started to pour into the black sea, almost doubling its size. the people fleeing this would have thought that this was a world wide flood. this was probably where it came from.
edit on 17-7-2011 by blackthorne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thats an EASY ONE!!! Lets take it from the christian method of answering questions...

...It was all done by a magical genie who popped out of a bottle that was floating across the water!!!

The genie magically popped out and magically vanished the water with a magical wand that was inspired by 'god'!!!

After this when the waters magically disappeared, a magical talking snake and magical talking donkey came by and said thanks to the magical genie and made a child sacrifice to the genie to satisfy 'god'.

God was now well pleased by the spilling of innocent blood from the innocent babies sacrifice!!

The genie then blamed all the bad things of the world on a boogeyman named 'satan' and told them that god loved them and that 'god' flooded the world and drowned all their innocent babies and kittens and puppies just to TEST THEM and their FAITH... and because of course, he... LOVES US!!!

edit on 17-7-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There is not enough water on the Earth to make it a WATER WORLD. Here is a picture of what the Earth would look like if all the ice melted. You see a lot of flooding but still a lot of land as well.

www.johnstonsarchive.net...

www.johnstonsarchive.net...

They are saying the sea level would only rise 66 meters (216 feet) so anything that is now higher than that above sea level would still be dry land.
edit on 7/17/2011 by fixer1967 because: to add link

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The myth of Noah's ark is simply a rewritten version of an original myth, The Epic of Gilgamesh, from the Enuma Elish produced by the Sumerians.
The Sumerian cuneiform writing has been estimated to go as far back as 3,300 B.C. while The dating of Genesis is uncertain, scholars place the date between 1,500 and 500 B.C.
Either story is myth,there is no proof of a global flood, in fact there are mountains of evidence that prove it didn't happen.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by loves a conspiricy
Its a blatant lie....

Only animals with nostrils were brought on....so why have we still got insects and animals without nostrils??

My guess is this.

There was a flood...but it was a localized flood. The people believed it was world wide because...they were morons.

There was no need to get rid of trillions of tons of water....as it wasnt here in the first place.

40 days and nights of rain cannot cause a global flood....because there is not, and never has been that amount of water present on our pale blue rock.

Correct, the Flood story that you hear in the Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible is actually a written version of the verbal memory of a flooding of the Black Sea some 8 thousand years ago due to glacial melting.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 7/17/2011 by SG-17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

You are joking aren't you? Adding a post that you are stating in definitive terms based on (1) a theory & (2) in wiki, is ridiculous.

I re-read your post and there was no sarcasm there but it still read like you are an authority on the subject. Please be careful with these wiki theories as there are people that will believe them.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JonU2

The similarities are uncanny and must be attributed to traditional story telling in the area.
Main character is warned to build a boat to escape the flood.
Main character is told to save himself, his family, and a sampling of animals.
The boats were sealed with tar.
The boats came to rest on a mountain.
Birds were released to determine if the waters receded.
Main character sacrificed an offering.
Both accounts occurred in the plains of Mesopotamia, in the locale of the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

I believe that localized floods happened in the region and stories became legend and fit nicely into their religious indoctrination
Archaeological Evidence of such floods have been unearthed during the 1928-1929 excavations,and up to Flood deposits reported by MacDonald in 1988.
The many flood-deposit layers show that flooding in southeastern Mesopotamia was not unusual in ancient times.
These accounts are just a lesson on how story's grow taller on down the line.
What amazes me is how modern educated people can still be blinded by religious dogma in the face of overwhelming facts.
edit on 18-7-2011 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JonU2
reply to post by SG-17

You are joking aren't you? Adding a post that you are stating in definitive terms based on (1) a theory & (2) in wiki, is ridiculous.

I re-read your post and there was no sarcasm there but it still read like you are an authority on the subject. Please be careful with these wiki theories as there are people that will believe them.

No, I am not. The theory is the most plausible source of the Flood stories as the Black Sea area was known to be settled 8,000 years ago and anyone escaping a massive deluge would have most likely traveled south, along the Tigris and Euphrates, which was also settled 8,000 years ago.

The Wikipedia page is well sourced, so it is reliable.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher

Most of it was from the Tidal waves caused by the now known Brown Dwarf Star that is in a long orbit around our Sun. The rest evaporated. Also there was a lot less water back then.

Oh really?

That would require that brown dwarf to pass by as close as the moon...and funny enough, there's no records of a brown dwarf just doing that, or orbiting our sun for that matter. There are several hypothesis involving an object in the Ourt cloud, but they haven't been proven.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If you read some of the ATS threads on the reality of the Hollow Earth, I think you'll find that many of the towns and cities there are built next to the sea.

Where do you think all that water came from?
edit on 18-7-2011 by Snippy23 because: fallibility

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne
ararat is 16,854 feet high. almost three miles high. think about that. the titanic lies at 10,500 or so. 40 days of constant rain would not produce that amount. even though i am christian, i have never believed the ark story. the science just doe not hold up. also, according to the bible, noah and his sons were the only ones left. that means noah would have had to have a black son, an asian son etc..... also, first cousin had to marry first cousin and maybe even brother and sister. so, we would all be distant relatives of incest. where are the stories of the descendants traveling to america, asia, south america?

personally, i do believe that god did make the world. it just took an AWFUL long time to do so.

around 10,000 years ago, the mediterranean started to pour into the black sea, almost doubling its size. the people fleeing this would have thought that this was a world wide flood. this was probably where it came from.
edit on 17-7-2011 by blackthorne because: (no reason given)

The Bible doesn't say it was only rain that caused the flood:

Genesis 7:11(KJV)
11In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

As for how people came to populate the different parts of the world:

Genesis 11:9(KJV)
9Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the LORD scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join