It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giuliani to GOP on gay marriage: 'Stay out of it'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Source

Rudy Giuliani, always a critic of his party’s social agenda, urged Republicans to “move on” from social issues after New York State’s recent approval of gay marriage.

“I think that marriage should be between a man and woman, but I think that the Republican Party would be well advised to get the heck out of people's bedrooms and let these things get decided by states,” said the former New York mayor, who's considering another bid for the Republican presidential nomination, in an interview aired Sunday.

I could not agree with Giuliani any more, Americans, except most in the South, have moved past the social issues at the federal level. Allow the states to make their individual choices whether through courts, legislature, or referendum. This does not just go for gay marriage either it also goes for teaching of creationism, prayer in school, abortion, gun laws, etc… There is not one good reason any of them issues should be challenged at the federal level from this point forward. Republicans claim to be proponents of states’ rights but it just seems to me the only states’ they care to have rights are the ones across the South.

It is going to be a losing program to run on social issues, the ‘silent majority’ is now the ‘annoying minority’ and that is not going to secure a sound future for the party outside of the South and parts of the Midwest/Mountain West. Part of any real solid foundation is to expand their party’s influence into the Great Lakes, parts of the Northeast, and winning over more Hispanic voters. Talking about ‘God, guns, and gays’ will do none of that, actually it will alienate them voters even more, so why pursue it other than showing that you are beholden simply to the single-issue voters.

Appeal to the suburban voters and that will expand your chances. People like Palin, Bachmann, Huckabee, Gingrich, and Santorum do not appeal to that constituency because those in suburban areas are more focused on infrastructure, environment, the economy, trade, and crime. Not worrying whether their neighbor had an abortion or she is living with a woman.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
good on Giuliani, but to be fair, i know some lefties that are also against gay marriage.

just move on ppl, this does not concern you.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
He's right. Romney is doing just this. He's taking heat for it too for not being more forward. You want to beat Obama you have to be more open minded. You've got to appeal to the centrists. He's the only one imo.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well, at least me and drag master flex can agree on something. Now if only he would say "stay out of peoples lives all together".

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You are forgetting Jon Huntsman, Jr. He is very good in my opinion but the GOP would never elect him because he is a pragmatist. The Tea Party would despise him just as much as they do Obama. That plus he accepted a position by Obama so immediately he is a traitor for serving his country.

Take a look at this poll, it is of Utah voters when asked about 2012 election. Huntsman clearly defeats Obama 63 to 23 in the poll, better than all the others, and when going by ideological groups check out where he performs best.

Favorable/Unfavorable

Very Liberal – 63/27%
Somewhat Liberal – 69/27%
Moderate – 70/20%
Somewhat Conservative – 51/37%
Very Conservative – 30/59%

Center-right to Left is where his base of support is in the state of Utah, which is definitely much more Conservative than the national overall. So it is easy for him to campaign as the real moderate in the race. Now all he has to do is get his hands on the right to distribute this ad and Romney would take a serious beating.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Rudy in right on the money. Let is go and move onto more important stuff. We legalized Gay marriage in Canada and it has had.......no effect. The gay community represents maybe 5-10% of the population at best. What they do or do not do, is not going to have a major effect on the stability of society.

Its a no win position to take that gives your opponents something to attack you on. Hetrosexuals have something like a 44% divorce rate, and every week some famous person is caught being unfaithful. What rational does the state have in outlawing two people from making a commitment and bond to one another?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I think you could be a steaming pile of dog crap and beat Obama in 2012...but that's just me.

Also decent advice coming form someone who ran one of the most disastrous political campaigns ever in 2008.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

So… you want to back that claim up with some numbers or would you like to continue on with your baseless assumptions? I track every poll released and if anything the Republicans better start praying or 2012 will be a loss for them, especially if they do not nominate Romney. Do not believe me? I do not care, just telling you the facts not my opinion.

www.publicpolicypolling.com...
edit on 7/17/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Giuliani is a street fighter and a brilliant political strategist and if he says "move on" he knows what he's talking about because he can read the pulse of the voters extremely well. Can't say I always loved him when he was our mayor but I came to greatly respect him; at the end of the day, he cleaned up the city and was, honestly, the only person who gave locals any sense of calm or security right after 9/11. Now, whether the Republican base is smart enough to listen to him remains to be seen...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Good to see him agreeing with a few others I like - on this topic, and a few others, he is absolutely correct.

Now if he'd just say the same thing about other countries and get off the tired terrorism/militarism warhorse...regardless, I don't think there's much that could happen to ever make me like Giuliani. Even if it were over nothing else, the way he acted toward Ron Paul during the '08 race would probably be enough.

As far as the GOP needing to nominate Romney to win...has he even decided was his opinions actually are yet? I just can't trust that guy to ever say what he actually thinks, or not change it when it becomes politically beneficial to do so...and at this point, I'm still unsure whether or not the devil we know might not actually be better than any of the devils that we don't, if my horse doesn't end up on top this time around.

How very depressing.

join