It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama wusses out again...does not appoint Elizabeth Warren to Consumer Financial Protection Agency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

President Barack Obama said on Sunday he will nominate former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray to head the new agency charged with protecting consumers from financial fraud and abusive practices on issues such as mortgage lending and credit card fees.

The pick allows Obama to sidestep some of the controversy he would have faced had he nominated Elizabeth Warren, who is credited with conceiving of the idea for the new consumer agency and championed its creation. But the president is still likely to face a big fight with Republicans on the nomination of Cordray, who is a close Warren ally and whose selection will require Senate confirmation.

Though Obama's fellow Democrats control the Senate, Republicans could use a procedural move to block a confirmation vote. An event is planned at the White House on Monday to formally roll out the choice.

news.yahoo.com...

Elizabeth Warren was the only real choice for this job. She has fought tooth and nail to protect Americans from the banksters that we bailed out. They were lobbied hard against her getting this position and Republicans repeatedly trashed her every chance they had.

Once again, Obama caves to Republican pressure as he always does...instead of actually doing the right thing.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Back near the end of the Bush Admin, I used to hear people cry, "This is the worst President in US history!"

BUT NO. THIS President, Obama, "is the worst President in US history." But thats okay. You only have mere months left, sir. Then you'l move back to Chicago, to the South side, and stay in your little SRO there, and watch White Sox baseball on TV, while Michelle gets you a beer.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I don't see it as a cave in, but merely a smart play in the battlefields of politics. Richard Cordray is a career politicition and as noted, a close associate of Elizabeth Warren.

Obama knew he would not get what he wanted so chose the next best thing. I'm sure that the play book wil remain the same.

But his Presidency does not have much time left to get Congress to play nice with each other.

Yea, I don't see that happening either.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Cut me a break. Elizabeth Warren probably asked President Obama to have her name removed. the Republican grilling has been relentless. the lady is way too classy to have to deal with the hutzpah of the R members of Congress and their absurd, argumentative questions. I'm amazed even Obama has the fortitude to deal with their arrogance. perhaps if they (Republicans) could find a way to stop kissing the ass of corporate America and put the people of America first they'd get some real work done. one more thing; Elizabeth Warren is a smart, dignified, classy lady........IMO Republicans in general seem to have a real problem dealing with this type of female.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
post deleted i have no idea what im talking about
edit on 17-7-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

Cut me a break. Elizabeth Warren probably asked President Obama to have her name removed. the Republican grilling has been relentless. the lady is way too classy to have to deal with the hutzpah of the R members of Congress and their absurd, argumentative questions. I'm amazed even Obama has the fortitude to deal with their arrogance. perhaps if they (Republicans) could find a way to stop kissing the ass of corporate America and put the people of America first they'd get some real work done. one more thing; Elizabeth Warren is a smart, dignified, classy lady........IMO Republicans in general seem to have a real problem dealing with this type of female.

I agree that Elizabeth Warren was a good choice, probably the only nomination I would have supported.

But you do realize that if you replaced Republican with Democrats in your post, it would still read the same? You don't even have to look that far in the past.

It seems that Bi-Partisanship and compromise are a thing of the past.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I don't agree with hardly anything Obama does, but to overlook a woman and put a man in a position of power over a woman.......HE FINALLY DID SOMETHING RIGHT! Ever since women have been handed positions of power the whole country has plummeted in every way. Dont balme the men either....as you woumen have always said, behind every great man is a better woman right? You can't cherry pick. Under those terms and the fact that the country started to really plummet when womens liberation started. It was pretty simple before then. Before womens lib = best country in the world, only great empire in existence. After womens lib = utter devistation and the implosion of the country and all of our enemies are now the great empires and America is nothing but a wasteland. Complain all you want women, but look it up.....around the time of womens lib the country's greatness took a dive. Why? No other country takes us serious now as a force.....we are just another pansy country who runs everything by emotions and womens rights. Meanwhile it's the programs, like Planned parenthood......is taking everyones children from parents for stupid things and even funding pimps to abort prostitutes. The womens organizations are nothing but destructive and done on purpose. You may hate me and what I say but look it up. Look up the women funded organizations and know that they are to either destroy families or men.....and these are the things that made America great once.

Notice here, Planned Parenthood.........when did it start? Yep! right at the beginning of the most noted womens liberation movement (when they got hijacked by idealists)......in 1921!
Here is proof:

The organization has its roots in Brooklyn, New York where Margaret Sanger (emphasis by me: a woman, of course) opened the country's first birth control clinic. Sanger founded the American Birth Control League in 1921

source

So Obama didn't wuss out, as you said.........this is the only time he has shown any strength. I would support him 100%, despite the fall of our country, if he would just rid the world of feminists......any way he can!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Of course not...she would actually offer change we can believe in.

We all know now that was just a campaign slogan.

S&F Excellent find OP

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Elizabeth Warren should run for president in 2012.

Or I guess as a second choice I wouldn't mind seeing her as veep for Ron Paul.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yeah, really. I'm by no means fond of or easy on the Obama administration, but Warren was a good choice for head of a consumer protection agency. The fact that she could not be confirmed tells you just how "bought and paid for" both parties are, and the appointment instead of a banker who has held high positions at Capital One and and Duetche Bank is a slap in the face to the consumer. It also proves just how toothless Dodd-Frank really is in reigning in Wall Street. Another fox guarding the hen house, is what we have here.

One of the things that frustrates me so much about the administration is that it seems like people like Warren and Volker and maybe a couple of others who are intelligent, pragmatic, bipartisanly respected,and principled are there, and they lend legitimacy to the admin but nobody listens to them and they don't defend them like they do ideologically rigid cabinet members and advisors.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl

She'll never make it. If she or any other woman did make President........it would be the final bullet in America's head. Then we can safely say ....It's all over!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phenomium

Originally posted by Partygirl

She'll never make it. If she or any other woman did make President........it would be the final bullet in America's head. Then we can safely say ....It's all over!

By no means being racist or implying any kind of threat, but

Didn't they say this if any black man became president?

I am sure many people may have said it if a womanizer or a draft dodger or an alcoholic/coc aine user or a movie star or a peanut farmer or a Kennedy (oh, never mind that last one)

However, I do agree with you!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Forget who he did or didn't hire, I'm still stuck on the fact that there's been yet another department of useless services created by the federal government. This couldn't have been rolled into one of the other pointless departments?

Wait, what am I saying? There's not near enough spending by this administration. We have to get to $15 trillion in debt by the end of the year. I think the President gets a pony if he meets that goal.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Forget who he did or didn't hire, I'm still stuck on the fact that there's been yet another department of useless services created by the federal government.

Actually no, it wouldn't have been useless, at least with Warren at the helm...don't know much about the guy appointed...will have to look up info on him.

The banks hated this woman and she was drilled repeatedly by Republicans in Congress every time she sat before them.

Anyway, I hope she runs for some type of office...I'm sure she'd win a seat somewhere.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Elizabeth Warren should be president.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

The banks hated this woman and she was drilled repeatedly by Republicans in Congress every time she sat before them.

I know it's sophomoric, but I truly can't stop laughing at this sentence!

Yes, it is useless. Yet another department has been created that duplicates the effort of several others. Again the government is spending more money that we don't have.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by LooksLikeWeMadeIt

Elizabeth Warren is a smart, dignified, classy lady........IMO Republicans in general seem to have a real problem dealing with this type of female.

It's possible she might have told Obama not to appoint her, but that would make all the crap she went through all for nothing.

Rokky...I agree....she'd make a good President.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
yep create another government orgianzation that picks up where the federal reserve leaves off.

yep hire another person who has no clue how a business or finance works.

the consumer protection agency should have never been created their are enough laws and regulations on the books but no create more government control on the financial sector.

its not rocket science people if banks are not making money they can not lend money nor credit.

now the cpa will dictate to the banks what the can or cant charge and who they can or cant lend to

hip hip horrah for the fascist left of america.
edit on 17-7-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join