It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Truly Believe there is a terrible coffee conspiracy.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
reply to post by againuntodust

What brand is it?!

Folgers.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Support your local roasters! Find one, go visit them, sample the coffee they have to offer, and then only order from them.

I order a 5 lb. bag at a time and brew using a Bialet ti Moka Pot. It ends up being only slightly more than I would pay for the vacuum sealed, mass produced stuff at the store.
edit on 7/17/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I never liked coffee until about 5 years ago when I started drinking Dunkin' Donuts Iced coffee. I now have a horrible addiction to it. I feel as if there is no coffee that tastes better. I have bought bags of it, but making it at home doesn't taste the same. Almost everyone I know begs to differ with me. Maybe I'm weird. My father drinks nothing but Maxwell House Colombian until a few months ago. He thinks the taste "suddenly changed". Ever since he has been trying to find a new coffee, but no luck. Gee, us picky coffee drinkers.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My mom drank coffee for what seems like forever, and since I was the only child and had everything else in the house to do as chores, making coffee became one of them. When I married my husband I developed a taste for it, and tried Yuban in a search for something different from Folgers. Wow, I fell in love! You could make this stuff strong enough to arm wrestle and it still wouldn't be bitter. I don't drink it nearly as much as I used to, and for crying out loud, the cost is one big reason why. I agree with the OP though that it lacks the kick I loved years before. I've begun to experiment with adding different roasts to my standard Yuban, and still looking. I'm going to try a french press or the little Italian number shown in a previous reply and hope for the best!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Note to others, if your coffee is bitter, that is the caffeine you are tasting.

Flat out not true. Caffeine is tasteless.

If your coffee is bitter either the beans were over roasted or you burned it during the brewing process.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
First off, whenever you see 'premium' or something else of that nature along with "100% Arabica beans" it is an oxymoron. Arabica beans are the lowest grade bean grown because it is in fact easier to grow, which means cheaper to buy and sell. This is why it is so 'highly' regarded, not because of its strength or flavor.

Arabica coffee could be compared to McDonalds or Taco Bell grade beef. I'm sure you could google search and immediately find sites that say otherwise, but this is the internet..

Robusta beans have about 50% more caffeine, have a fuller stronger flavor, but are harder to grow, thus more expensive to buy and sell. Most coffees you buy at a gas station, grocery store, or even some coffee shops are Arabica beans with a miniscule about of Robusta beans blended into it for flavor, foam, and potency.

Also, if the beans are over roasted they will lose their caffeine potency. You should look for a light roasted Robusta bean from Eastern South America, Africa or Malaysia next time you buy. You will probably have to order it online, as I'm sure you won't be able to find it at your regular kroger.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

If your coffee is bitter either the beans were over roasted or you burned it during the brewing process.

Caffeine is not tasteless. I've put it in my mouth and it tastes bitter. I suggest you try it:

Buy some.

Caffeine[4] is a bitter, white crystalline xanthine alkaloid and psychoactive stimulant.

Anyone familiar with the taste will actually be able to identify it right away when drinking espresso.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I prefer Folgers as well(especially Folgers Organic, it's pretty pricey though). I also have one of those k-cup coffee makers, and really recommend them for true coffee lovers everywhere. There are a hundred different types of coffee,hot chocolate, and teas to choose from. Some of the caffeine free k-cups taste exactly like regular. If you want a major caffeine kick try 'Wake Up Call"

Peace, Nova

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

Yeah, something is up with the quality of everything. It is hit or miss these days with all types of consumables, comestibles and contraband. You have to be awfully clever these days to get anything to behave like it did in the good old days.

My advice. Uh, I really don't know. Make whatever it is yourself if you can manage it.

With the coffee, however, that is not really possible, but I did recently discover by accident that the Italian, Verona Roast instant (yes, the instant) Via from Starbucks (not the Columbian) should probably be classified as a controlled substance. It is wholly responsible for all of my mad posting last Memorial Day. I'll never touch the stuff again.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

I know what you're saying I have actuallly had my coffee in the morning like 8am and jsut afterward fell asleep till 1 in the afternoon (it was a rainy stormy day, but still). This just happened to me last week. I don't even "feel" the caffiene after days of going without which happened prior to the above incident I had been without it for three days and that's not usual... I think my get up and go has got up and went. Also you could be getting chicory cut coffee and that stuff lowers the caffiene value. I hate it tastes like crap.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I've definitely noticed the same thing and at first I thought I was just getting used to the caffeine, or requiring a certain amount just to function out of drinking too much too often... but even a triple-shot latte cant 'pick me up' anymore. Darn GMOs. Why cant anything be natural, as it should?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Hi, Boncho.

I think all of the Xanthines are really interesting.

I have read that the bitter taste actually sends a signal to your body to sort of say, 'Get ready, here comes the xanthine!'

Anyhow, they are all bitter, especially theobromine.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.sciencedirect.com...

edit on 17-7-2011 by Frater210 because: Ia!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Coffee ..buy it at a convienence store and its so weak that you can see the bottom of the cup ..
I like strong coffee..like Lousiane coffee with chikery .
Want a kick ?? brew a triple measure of Lousianne coffee with chickery and brew it three times . Good stuff .
I use 4 scoops of regular coffee for 10 cups of water .

Little added resipe ..1 cup strong coffee ..two table spoons maricino cherry syrup and two cherries add some choclate syrup (2table spoons ) put whipped cream on top ..Enjoy

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasco2

While caffeine can have a bitter taste, it is very unlikely that it is what your tasting in your coffee. If you are tasting a bitter flavor then you either have 1) burnt or 'over roasted' beans, 2) they are old beans or 3) your taste buds need more balance on your tongue. Try adding a pinch of kosher salt to the coffee before you brew it and it will balance out the flavors on your tongue. Salt is quite often used to balance out the different flavors on our tongue and works like a charm. The key thing here is that you first have GOOD QUALITY coffee. Foldgers is no better than drinking dirt!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I drink 2 cups of Folgers at around 9am and by Noon I am ready for a nap. I know what you are saying, OP.

The only coffee that picks me up is a large iced coffee light and sweet from Dunkins Donuts, but thats loaded with sugar.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by granpabobby
Coffee ..buy it at a convienence store and its so weak that you can see the bottom of the cup ..
I like strong coffee..like Lousiane coffee with chikery .
Want a kick ?? brew a triple measure of Lousianne coffee with chickery and brew it three times . Good stuff .
I use 4 scoops of regular coffee for 10 cups of water .

Little added resipe ..1 cup strong coffee ..two table spoons maricino cherry syrup and two cherries add some choclate syrup (2table spoons ) put whipped cream on top ..Enjoy

me and my hubby go down to New Orleans sometimes and the first place we go is to get Chicory coffee at Cafe Du' Monde. I thought the history of chicory was fascinating!

Coffee first came to North America by way of New Orleans back in the mid-1700's. It was successfully cultivated in Martinique about 1720, and the French brought coffee with them as they began to settle new colonies along the Mississippi.

The taste for coffee and chicory was developed by the French during their civil war. Coffee was scarce during those times, and they found that chicory added body and flavor to the brew. The Acadians from Nova Scotia brought this taste and many other french customs (heritage) to Louisiana. Chicory is the root of the endive plant. Endive is a type of lettuce. The root of the plant is roasted and ground. It is added to the coffee to soften the bitter edge of the dark roasted coffee. It adds an almost chocolate flavor to the Cafe Au Lait served at Cafe Du Monde.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Which of the following is more likely:? There is some coffee conspiracy going on, proof of which would be next to impossible to obtain...or, you are simply experiencing tolerance in action? Many of the chemicals that people put in their bodies to affect chemical levels in the brain, such as illicit drugs, nicotine, caffeine, etc, lessen in effect in a gradual but highly pronounced manner.

So basically, your baseline tolerance level, or the level that made you feel good initially, has been raised. This cannot be bypassed, sometimes even when time has passed in between uses. I am convinced this is the case, even though you say you have dismissed it, because I have experience, too much experience actually but all for scientific research that was not available from other sources, regarding various types of chemicals and how they affect the body.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I drink massive quantities of very strong coffee.(I fill the filter to the top) I have not noticed anything different about my coffee. I drink a whole pot every morning before I go to the gym.

If I don't get my coffee I become the bringer of death, seriously I almost shot my coffee pot for being slow once, before I realized slow coffee is better than no coffee.

I usually drink Folgers but I'll take whatever I can get my hands on as long as it's coffee flavored coffee and not that fu-fu crap.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by boncho

So I should have been more specific, caffeine is one of the reasons your coffee is bitter.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac47a9edd407.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Frater210

I have read that the bitter taste actually sends a signal to your body to sort of say, 'Get ready, here comes the xanthine!'

Which would make sense. When you drink espressos it kinda feels that way doesn't it. Somewhat like the burning of alcohol down the throat.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join