It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Canadians give Hubble hope!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
To those who are still grieving over Hubble's loss, this will make you jump up in joy. A Canadian robot has proven it has the ability to fix the Hubble!

www.technewsworld.com
The most-likely rescuer for the imperiled Hubble Space Telescope may be a Canadian -- a gawky robot named Dextre. With engineers' getting the go-ahead to design a robotic mission, the option of sending astronauts on a space shuttle to fix and upgrade Hubble appears clinically dead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet the question remains :Will Congress agree to a possibly huge repair costs? I doubt so! But there is still hope.

[edit on 8-14-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It would seem to me that given the incredible amount of data that this instrument has provided mankind that almost any cost could be justified to keep this thing in orbit, unless they have something bigger and better to put in it's place.

I remember when they first put this thing up and it had a flawed mirror. I couldn't believe that they could get it into space without knowing that the telescope was "near-sighted. It was such a thrill to learn that it could be fixed and the repair mission was the stuff of epic films, in my opinon. Where there is the opportunity to advance the understanding of the universe by mankind, then every effort should be made to pursue that opportunity.

posted on Aug, 14 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Let us hope that Congress is in the same mind frame as you and accepts to repair it.

new topics

join