It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis and ISS captured from the ground... in broad daylight!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Star and flagged OP. This is a good example of why good UFO footage is hard to find. Even with a good telescope and camera setup you just cannot capture good quality footage of fast and high moving objects. The footage you captured is almost impossible to get but you got it! Good job OP, now film some orbiting mother-ships.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
This is a good example of why good UFO footage is hard to find. Even with a good telescope and camera setup you just cannot capture good quality footage of fast and high moving objects. The footage you captured is almost impossible to get but you got it!

Thank you! I would describe it like this; this footage shows what it takes to resolve satellites so that they show shapes instead of just being point-like light sources (which can be literally any shiny thing at a sufficient distance and/or small size).

In most lights-in-the-sky footage people try to zoom in with their camcorders, the camcorder's autofocus has no idea how to properly focus a point-like light source (because it wasn't programmed with astrophotography or point-like light sources in mind), the image goes out of focus and you see a big circle called a bokeh, and then people spend time trying to analyze pictures of a bokeh which in reality tells you about the shape and quality of the optics (or lack thereof), maybe a bit about the color of the object (but not necessarily; goes to the optical quality again), but really tells you nothing else.

In the truest sense, I suppose that makes it "UFO" footage in that you can't identify it, but that does not equal or even suggest aliens or anything else paranormal. If its shape could actually be resolved, as in the footage seen here, it could be positively identified whether it be aliens or a weather balloon. I've actually had the chance to identify the latter before. To the unaided eye (and probably to camcorders as well), the balloon looked just like a reddish bizzare satellite at sunset. It was brighter than Saturn, but moved too slowly to be a low earth orbit satellite. A quick look in the telescope showed the balloon, the tether, and a payload box attached to it swinging back and forth like a pendulum. This was actually during a public viewing, so myself and a few other amateurs actually had the opportunity to show this to several people thus demonstrating the key to making identifications of point-like light sources.

The key is angular resolution. The bigger your optical diameter, the more you can resolve. A camcorder's lens just isn't all that wide, so it can't resolve much no matter how much magnification you apply. An 8" telescope, on the other hand, can resolve down to about an arcsecond in average seeing, sub-arcsecond if you stack a bunch of images.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Very nice job with all things considered ngchunter. Greatly appreciated. We always enjoy and benefit from your insight, so thanks.

A great asset to have here in this community!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Awsome footage my friend. I wouldn't have even thought of trying to see it in daylight.

A huge THANK YOU for sharing that with us.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
thats amazing

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Hi,

Very nice footage there. It looks like a dragon or something. Actually it looks almost to close to the ground to be the spacestation but I am sure it is the spacestation.

No S&N here since it is "just" the spacestation but very very nice footage indeed.
edit on 22/7/11 by Hilltaker because: Spelling.

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

edit on 23-7-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I am speechless, this is really, really impressive.

posted on Jul, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
wish I could have seen it.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
I'm pretty excited this worked as well as it did. There were not going to be any decent night time passes of ISS or the shuttle during the final mission from my location, so I attempted to capture it this morning instead. I've never succeeded in directly capturing ISS during the day like this. You can see the white shape of Atlantis and the black spot of its engine compartment at the top of the image when ISS first appears.

Dude im an editor if you send me the master file i can stabilize that for you. no charge!

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeillieN
Dude im an editor if you send me the master file i can stabilize that for you. no charge!

Thanks! I'll upload the file to a sharing site later and PM you the link. I've done stabilization before, but just haven't had the time lately. You could probably do a better job of it than I could anyway. Video editing is not my forte.
edit on 27-7-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
That is very cool. very historic capture you might be able to make some money off of that someday. really awesome though.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by varsityblazer11

Threads like this want me to get into astronomy again - a LOT has changed compared to when i was a kid and had a 60mm tasco

Those 8" meades look really awesome to me.

posted on Jul, 30 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That is just awesome, I want a telescope.

posted on Jul, 31 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

That is truly amazing . How the heck did you manage that

posted on Aug, 2 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Careful planning and orbital data-based computerized tracking. I'm planning on doing a tutorial video on how to do it.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

That was an amazing video thanks!!

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
For the 5th year anniversary of the final shuttle mission, and 5 years to the day I tracked it, here's a cropped and stabilized version of the original video:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

I'm glad this thread came back. Great footage of the most technologically-advanced thing we humans ever build.

And some people believe the ISS (and the rest of spaceflight) is fake

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join