It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Search feature for individual threads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just a quick question. I am not tech savvy so bear with me.

There have been some times I have wanted to ask a question or contribute to a thread that was 100s of pages long, but did not want to repeat anything that had been asked already ( have seen posters repeat a question and most times it gets ignored). I am not the lazy type, but don't always have the time to sit and read through large threads.

Is it possible to have a feature where we can search key "phrases" within a particular thread?

peace

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i believe all you need to do is put the formal thread title in quotes when searching, and then whatever key words you are looking for.

For this thread, you could search ( "Search feature for individual threads" savvy )

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Thank you.
That makes sense, kind of wish I would've thought of that before starting a thread. Savvy fail

peace

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dalemcfad

Thank you.
That makes sense, kind of wish I would've thought of that before starting a thread. Savvy fail

peace

Don't feel bad..you asked a question that has probably helped a few of us...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
i believe all you need to do is put the formal thread title in quotes when searching, and then whatever key words you are looking for.

For this thread, you could search ( "Search feature for individual threads" savvy )

I do not think that your solution works very well friend.

I just attempted to do as you stated but with different combinations of key words after the quoted thread title and came up with multiple "No results".

Here are two examples:
("Search feature for individual threads" feel bad)
("Search feature for individual threads" feel).

Why would "savvy" return hits but not key words from Gabby2011's "Don't feel bad" comment/post?

Dalemcfad tables an excellent question.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kneverr

i just tried that, too. And you are right. My GUESS is that is because you searched words that only appeared recently in the thread, and perhaps they search function hasn't 'crawled' the thread since then??

It works when I added in key words from the first four posts

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Yea I was able to do it on this thread, but went and looked at a large thread and randomly picked a post on page 1080 something. It was the three word story thread.

I searched thread title and three key words, but no matter how quoted in my search it didnt take me to that post. Tried without quotations and got 10 pages worth of hits.

I will try another large thread. The three word story thread may not have been the best one to test that theory on, although it confirms my belief it would be nice to have a keyword search option within individual threads. Specifically one that keeps you on the thread. Just type keywords and takes you right to page and post.

top topics

join