It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

August solar flares toasting the grid? America banking on it?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Yes. I am curious as well.

How is the date determined? What facts suggest it is August?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
But dont they know when one is actually building up thus they have much more time before the SF is actually sent on its way. I thought that they can monitor the activity on the sun and thus able to anticipate/estimate when a SF will actually occur.

There are mutterings now about possible increased activity next month including a heatwave across the US. So surely there is time to warn the public and all else. It appears that NASA has been making repeat warnings to its emloyees, whether these are drills or out of genuine expectation I dont know.

Thoughts from other?

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher
Surely Governments would make an announcement if there is likely to be a problem with advice for everybody in sufficient time for those who wish to prepare or provision can do so because no annoucement would mean much more panic and dissarray and even less control. This way people can turn as many things off as possible to reduce what gets affected or fried!

No? Yes?

Hmmm would they? Can you imagine telling 6Billion people we about to go back to the Stone ages? I think there would be a few Traffic Jams.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Yes but no where near as bad if saying nothing and if there is notice of weeks or even months then after the initial panic for a week or two people would begin to acept the fact and try and do their best to mitigate the impacts and provision the best they could to try and ride out the period without electricity. Going with electricity for months maybe a big pain but we sleep at night anyway. Its not as though we are going to be hit by a big lump of iron so not the devastation only the terrible uncomfortable prolonged experience of surviving without electricity.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

Nice.

I just settled a lawsuit after years of fighting, supposed to be getting paid in September.

Sounds about right.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity

Now comes in the part where America banks on it! As you all likely know, we are horribly in debt, they claim that on August 2nd the treasury will run out of money unless the debt ceiling is raised. Is it possible that they plan on all financial systems in the world to shut down? thus there is no records of their money or debt?

Now here is the problem with your theory...Do you think for one second that debt disappears when the power goes out? Really? Have you ever needed anything from the government? If you have you would know the paperwork goes on forever...the paper trails our government has are endless...
So, let's assume for a moment your theory is correct and paper trails don't exist...Do you think China will just forget we owe them money? They probably wouldn't be too happy if we shrugged our shoulders and said " Oops the power went out, how much do we owe you again? Nothing? Well great so we are cool?"
My partner in crime says check out this facility located in Las Vegas, NV it has it's own servers and so many back up generators that it could sustain itself for a long time and has government affiliations up the wazoo...so no one is forgetting about the debt: www.switchnap.com...

So conversation begins now! GO!
edit on 17-7-2011 by secretagentwomyn because: forgot end quote

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagentwomyn

Now comes in the part where America banks on it! As you all likely know, we are horribly in debt, they claim that on August 2nd the treasury will run out of money unless the debt ceiling is raised. Is it possible that they plan on all financial systems in the world to shut down? thus there is no records of their money or debt?

Now here is the problem with your theory...Do you think for one second that debt disappears when the power goes out? Really? Have you ever needed anything from the government? If you have you would know the paperwork goes on forever...the paper trails our government has are endless...
So, let's assume for a moment your theory is correct and paper trails don't exist...Do you think China will just forget we owe them money? They probably wouldn't be too happy if we shrugged our shoulders and said " Oops the power went out, how much do we owe you again? Nothing? Well great so we are cool?"
My partner in crime says check out this facility located in Las Vegas, NV it has it's own servers and so many back up generators that it could sustain itself for a long time and has government affiliations up the wazoo...so no one is forgetting about the debt: www.switchnap.com...

So conversation begins now! GO!
edit on 17-7-2011 by secretagentwomyn because: forgot end quote

Seems like you are underestimating the event that would take down our grid. It would take down the world grids....China would go down too. Read the book "one Second After" no one is worrying about paying the govt, let alone China back during the catastrophe. People are worrying if it is too soon to kill the dog for dinner!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
A huge CME would not wipe out the entire global grid.

It would only knock out the geographical area that gets directly hit by it. If it's big enough it could hit a portion of the Northern or Southern Hemisphere, but only the portion that's facing straight on.

Remember the planet is spherical. One part faces the sun while the other is away from it... a CME doesn't wrap itself all the way around the entire globe and from top to bottom. And not all satellites are going to be in the direct path either.

The Carrington event did not wipe out every single telegraph communication worldwide.

It all boils down to luck of the draw... being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There's no way to tell who the unlucky SOB's are going to be, so everyone prepares for the worst and hopes for the best.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

weather is normal for July.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Not making sense to me
Yes, let's say it will take down all grids, worldwide, It still doesn't mean China won't/can't know what is owed to them. 'It" doesn't take down the paper it's signed on. Even if it takes years to reconstruct the grid China would know what is owed. And not as if the debt was gonna be settled sooner anyways.

I don't have any idea what would happen if the worlds power grid gets taken down, other than just unimaginable is what i know.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

These ribbons of magnetized hydrogen and helium can in essence create an Ionic "bridge" between Earth and the Sun (same way a wire transports electrons). In the event we drift into the ribbons correctly we would see increased solar flares that create CONSTANT EMP's and Flux transfer events.

Hmm.. Something that electromagnetic physics can't argue with!

Good post, thanks for sharing. The scary part is that in the event of said scenario, the fallout is worse than a lot of folks realize. It reminds me of something I once wrote for a research paper in a Sustainable Infrastructure Strategy course...

"In 2008, the National Academy of Sciences published a 145-page report, funded by NASA that detailed potential scenarios from a major solar storm during the next solar maximum in 2013. It was titled, “Severe Space Weather Events – Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts Workshop Report”. A summary article of this report reviewed, “According to the NAS report, a severe space weather event in the US could induce ground currents that would knock out 300 key transformers within about 90 seconds, cutting off the power for more than 130 million people” (Brooks 2009). This would include the basic sanitation systems, water delivery systems, and anything connected to the electrical grid. Furthermore, “Within a month, then, the handful of spare transformers would be used up- the rest will have to be built to order, something that can take up to 12 months” (Brooks 2009)."

Boom.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Seems like you are underestimating the event that would take down our grid. It would take down the world grids....China would go down too. Read the book "one Second After" no one is worrying about paying the govt, let alone China back during the catastrophe. People are worrying if it is too soon to kill the dog for dinner!

Tell me something...How is it that I am underestimating anything...I am talking about a paper trail that would wrap around the world a few times...It does not take electricity so it is not effected. And if you think for one second that China will just "not worry about debt because people are worried about killing dogs" you are nuts. If their people are starving and killing dogs to eat, they are kinda gonna want their money in a reallllll baddd way! And I was suggesting that if the U.S. were intending to make us ignore the debt ceiling with a solar event, then even if the event knocked everything out, the debt still would not be erased from paper and memory and sooner or later the Chinese are gonna want that money....The solar event wouldn't last forever...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

AMEN to the logical thinkers today....I think there are a whole lotta people that really WANT something to happen because they hate the evil in this world, myself included. BUT we must not entertain ideas that induce panic and are not logical...and why? Because we end up looking real dumb when it doesn't happen #1 and #2 because we won't be prepared for the real thing....but I have MRE's, first aid, I know how to build a fire, # in a hole, and own some guns with plenty ammo...oh and an old fashioned bow and arrow....So, whatever happens I am ready but I won't entertain unlikely events..

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I may know medical or insect related subjects well, but Im admittedly an astronomical event idiot... so someone school me ( and others who are wondering) : how does one predict a solar flare or CME with any accuracy?Is it sort of like the earthquake predictions AKA educated guesses?
I understand most of the short and long range implications concerning a flare/cme as far as our ( ours in the US in particular... as I live here) culture, lifestyle, govt, and etc... but Ive heard this CME/flare prediction mentioning a "direct hit" and a sort of scorched earth scenario with extreme temps.. as in baked folks with nowhere to run or hide. Ive also heard the prediction mention that there is NO way to predict what side or portion of the earth would be exposed ( continent(s)) but it would definitely be in the Northern Hemisphere. How and why only the Northern hemisphere? How would a direct hit in a localized area take down the entire globes grid? IMO it wouldnt.. and would make an area ripe for pickin's.. but thats why Im here asking
Also, could this recent uptick my area has been having with electrical issues from a more active phase? Ive also read the sun is actually going back to sleep.. or a dormant phase... very soon rather than an active phase as claimed as fact so many times recently on ATS. How does this fit in with the massive activity needed to produce a mammoth solar flare event? Are we assuming that a period of intense activity precedes a period of dormancy? Id read that the dormant phase aids in a "little ice age" period... which we are getting ready to experience. A normal cycle.. not a doomer dream. Is this in agreement with the "other than nasa and noaa" info and data you are reading?

Im not a doomtard or given to doomtarding/fearmongering... and I definitely dont appreciate it being passed around. So for those like me... we need a little more information and I personally havent had the time recently to properly investigate the subject. Just thought Id ask the ATS expert class here. On other subjects Ive received incredible information from the ATS layman.. so speak up you basement dwelling geniuses!

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee

Tell me something...How is it that I am underestimating anything...I am talking about a paper trail that would wrap around the world a few times...It does not take electricity so it is not effected. And if you think for one second that China will just "not worry about debt because people are worried about killing dogs" you are nuts. If their people are starving and killing dogs to eat, they are kinda gonna want their money in a reallllll baddd way! And I was suggesting that if the U.S. were intending to make us ignore the debt ceiling with a solar event, then even if the event knocked everything out, the debt still would not be erased from paper and memory and sooner or later the Chinese are gonna want that money....The solar event wouldn't last forever...

And that is your opinion.
My opinion......lots of things would be erased. Lot's of things are not on paper anymore. Lot's of new agreements would eventually have to be made, And yes, maybe things would be up and running in weeks or months, but not as I understand it, in a worst case scenario. We don't have the backup infrastructure to replace the destroyed infrastructure, so in my opinion, a serious world grid catastrophe would take years to decades to repair.

And to the poster mentioning a CME, yes, in that instance one side of the earth may only be effected, but I was thinking more along the lines of some new phenomenon like our solar system floating through some sort of magnetized "fluff" that would effect our whole globe.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

As Marduk pulled out the spear from the ground, lifted it and threw it with force down on the earthly world. And while Marduk did this, Ishtar ordered the stars to send out a new light, invisible.

Sajaha 15
bookofsajaha.wordpress.com...

It seems the ancients knew...

edit on 17-7-2011 by Regenstorm because: edit

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Supposedly she said that NASA knew about massive solar flares that are heading our way in august.

Given that they only take a few days to get here, how exactly does somebody, anybody predict the future existence of a killer solar flare that hasnt happened yet?
In August, specifically. Not June, July or September, but August.
October is right out.

Hate to agree with you alfa1 because your are such an...

But, you could not be more correct on this post.

Thanks for being the voice of reason on this particular subject.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by CranialSponge

AMEN to the logical thinkers today....I think there are a whole lotta people that really WANT something to happen because they hate the evil in this world, myself included. BUT we must not entertain ideas that induce panic and are not logical...and why? Because we end up looking real dumb when it doesn't happen #1 and #2 because we won't be prepared for the real thing....but I have MRE's, first aid, I know how to build a fire, # in a hole, and own some guns with plenty ammo...oh and an old fashioned bow and arrow....So, whatever happens I am ready but I won't entertain unlikely events..

Oh trust me, I hate fear mongering just as much as you, I do not support doom and gloom. I created this thread based on the interconnection of several facts, All I did was connect some dots. Unfortunately we are not sure if we will drift into the ribbons in august. You, however are greatly underestimating the severity of a Solar storm with an ionic bridge between earth and sun, with an additional mass magnetic induction within the sun, the additional magnetic activity would create coronal mass ejections far greater then we have ever seen, and a "6 lane highway" for it all to dump into earths atmosphere, this would not just be one small EMP, but a constant flood of EMP's wiping out all of earths power grids. The extensive damage would likely take years to fix, and by then we would already be in civil unrest as everyone who banks will loose all of their money. Cars and transportation will not work, communication will not work, aircraft's and boats will not work. Don't take my reply as an attack against you as I wish to spread nothing more then peace and information. Once again I am NOT saying this is going to happen 100%, it is mere speculation that I felt should be shared based on the potential of the event that cross checks on several occasions. It's possible and the banksters would see it as a great opportunity.

Namaste.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
i believe that if you wiped out the power grids then it would only wipe computer data and things of that sort. Our paper trail is too long to just disappear. But maybe they are setting up a short circuit and going to "ACCIDENTALLY" light that paper trail on fire? just a thought...

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Could someone please tell me how 2012-2013 now become August 2011. Even if this would occur how does anyone predict it that closely when Nasa and their scientists could only attemp to predict it in 18 months. I agree that people should prepare for a diaster that is only common sense. No one knows when something is going to take out the electricity the heat can do that with all the ac's running etc. I think someone has let their imagination run wild or has been watching too much tv.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join