It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I've just finished the same book, what did you think about the what happened to "Tony"? I think Ronson is clever in keeping it intentionally vague reflecting the grey area of psychopathy, but its sometimes an infuriating writing technique!

Have you read any of his other books? I've just bought the Men Who Stare at Goats, haven't started it yet though.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Just finished "Silentium" by greg bear. Very awesome book, not jogged down by the current events of the Halo series, but its own story in its own right, of course this saga took place a couple hundred thousand years before the covenant war.
Also currently reading up on, "The Lost Book of Enki" by Zecharia Sitchin.
Looking forward to...
Karen Traviss's "Kilo 5 triologys" last book.
Taylor andersons "Destroyermen" series, last book
David lynn golemans, "Event group" series, last book

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Currently reading:

My Work Inbox ....it seems to never ever end.....

posted on Apr, 29 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Game of Thrones series, fourth book...

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I've just started reading Booked For Murder by Val McDermid.

posted on May, 5 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I love to read and am currently reading James Rollins Bloodlines.

www.jamesrollins.com...

I am on page 80 and hooked. Cant wait to finish and start looking for the other books he and his friends have written such as Doomsday Key, Alter of Eden and The Devil Colony.

These are for escape and fun.

I am always reading other things to balance and harmonize my spiritual well being as well. On that pretty much anything Osho related. My Sat Guru.

posted on May, 10 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am reading The Long Walk by Stephen King.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I have the problem ( as I'm sure many here do) of starting multiple books at once. Currently I'm re-reading The Stand by Stephen King (unabridged), Letters From the Earth by Mark Twain, and House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Truth_Seeker
I am reading The Long Walk by Stephen King.

Excellent short story...I love the Bachmann Books collection.

And his other collection of short stories 'Different Seasons'.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

Love that username, just got Vonnegut's look at the birdie illustration tattooed on me.

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by denybedoomed

Love that username, just got Vonnegut's look at the birdie illustration tattooed on me.

This one?

en.wikipedia.org...:Lookatthebirdie.jpg

If so...nice!

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Link didn't work but if its the one with the nose and eyes, yes

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by denybedoomed

It was, yes...thought it must be...I therefore reiterate...Nice!

posted on May, 16 2013 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. When I heard the premise, I assumed some kind of predictive programming or desensitization of violence was the motivation-let's get young girls used to the idea of being soldiers, etc.

Wikipedia claims that the trilogy's fictional country of "Panem" is set in future North America, although there is nothing that I can see that justifies that claim. It further purports that "The Capitol" (sic) is in the Rocky Mountains, which is interesting given the real-life Denver Airport weirdness and the CIA moving their HQ out there. Again, there is nothing in the books to indicate where they are set, but someone took it upon themselves to make sure we knew that Panem=USA.

One thing that becomes clear from reading the series is that "Panem" went through a massive depopulation. This, too, is never explained, except to a passing reference about "destroying the atmosphere." But it becomes clear that the level of destruction is massive; District 12, where Katniss is from, has about 8,000 people at the beginning of the trilogy. It's said to be the smallest district, but even if the other 12 are 100 times its population, Panem has less than ten million people in it.

Another thing that strikes me as odd- Panem seems to exist in a vacuum. No other countries exist on whatever planet it occupies, or if they do, they never interact with Panem, even to trade, and are never mentioned by anyone. It could be that Panem suffers from a massive embargo and media blackout.

People have talked about how its such a strong anti-government screed, and how could such a book be allowed to circulate and gain popularity, if there was a government conspiracy. Of course, it is a story of rebellion against visible governments, and the shadow government has no problem with that. They support coups and revolutions around the world all the time. They always need Katniss Everdenes to overthrow one puppet government and help set up another, and so it's necessary to allow these kinds of stories to get into the public consciousness.

edit on 16-5-2013 by Snsoc because: comma

posted on May, 20 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I am reading Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King.

posted on May, 23 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The Terminal Man by Michael Crichton

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Inferno by Dan Brown

Save your money and your time. It's wretched. I'm purging with Castaneda.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Just finished Cosmic Trigger, and am getting into Prometheus Rising... I am in a R.A.W mood as of late

Peace, NRE.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I am currently reading a thread on ATS titled "what are you currently reading?".

Actually I am currently reading Plato's Republic. It's a really interesting read full of philosophical ideology.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The S-Word, by Chelsea Pitcher. Amazing book.

www.goodreads.com...

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join