It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Currently juggling a fair amount of reading: Grey Hat Hacking, CCNA Study Guide and one of the Bones series books by Kathy Reichs.

Have to admit right now the fiction is winning out over the technical stuff, its just hard to get into dry reading on the night shift.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Switched to Hunger Games. I like to read the book before watching a movie based upon it, so that I can bash the movie for not being entirely faithful for the book.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Herodotus, the Histories.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Saint With A Gun - William Ruehlmann

A penetrating analysis of the American mentality as seen through private eye fiction. Ruehlmann traces the American Detective personality back to its roots, the lawman of the Old West rather than the civilized British inspector, and explains our man's psyche in terms of the nation's makeup, peculiar or perverse as it may be. Included among writers discussed are Mickey Spillane, Ross MacDonald, Donald Westlake, Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler - all names who have been entertaining America for years. --- from book's back cover

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm reading The Hunger Games, so I can see if it's appropriate for my 10-year-old. So far, it's not any worse than the last two Harry Potter books (which she has read), so I'm thinking she can read it.

The last book I read was Devil in the White City, about the Chicago World's Fair in 1893. I thought it was fascinating, especially because I was in the middle of a trip to Chicago when I was reading it.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
just finished Angie Sage's Darke (book 6 in the Septimus Heap series)

and started reading Sri Ram Kaa and Kira Raa 2013 Mayan Sunrise

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am reading
Roanoke The Abandoned Colony
And
Meg: Hell's Aquarium.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Sort of a holiday tradition in my family to read a lot. Part of our Festivus I guess?

Finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons last week. If you like sci-fi, it's a must read. Plenty written about it already and I think the movie comes out 2013? The reason I'm even mentioning it is if you start it and like it, buy the second book. Hyperion might as well end 'to be continued'...

Almost finished with Born to Lose by James G. Hollock. It's a true crime novel about Stanley Hoss. If you like the genre (I really don't), it's a well researched and horrible tale. I read it because a lot of it happened right around where I grew up and I knew some of the people in it. If you're from the Pittsburgh area and/or remember the terror this guy brought, it's worth reading .

Just started Marx's Ghost by Charles Derber. I heard the author on a radio interview and was intrigued enough to buy it. Just started it but if you aren't familiar with Marx and are from the US, I think you'll be surprised. Also plenty of ATS type ideas in there, I'm looking forward to the rest.
edit on 12/26/2011 by beezwaxes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I read Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll last week.

I'm now reading Boneman's Daughter by Ted Dekker.

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Two works of fiction:

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens ( ithink this is my third reading in the last 5 years or so)

Beyond The Door by Phillip K Dick (1st time read)

One work of non-fiction:

2010 CIA World Fact Book
edit on 1/6/2012 by lightseeker because: added text

posted on Jan, 6 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
For fiction, I am re-reading T H White's The Once and Future King....sigh...what can I say...a revelation each and everytime I return to it...this time I am particularly interested in understanding Archimedes...

For fact (if such a thing exists) I am reading the Alien Bendictines of York by the Reverend J Solloway.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
The Shallows What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains by Nicholas Carr

Carr—author of The Big Switch (2007) and the much-discussed Atlantic Monthly story “Is Google Making Us Stupid?”—is an astute critic of the information technology revolution. Here he looks to neurological science to gauge the organic impact of computers, citing fascinating experiments that contrast the neural pathways built by reading books versus those forged by surfing the hypnotic Internet, where portals lead us on from one text, image, or video to another while we’re being bombarded by messages, alerts, and feeds. This glimmering realm of interruption and distraction impedes the sort of comprehension and retention “deep reading” engenders, Carr explains. And not only are we reconfiguring our brains, we are also forging a “new intellectual ethic,” an arresting observation Carr expands on while discussing Google’s gargantuan book digitization project. What are the consequences of new habits of mind that abandon sustained immersion and concentration for darting about, snagging bits of information? What is gained and what is lost? Carr’s fresh, lucid, and engaging assessment of our infatuation with the Web is provocative and revelatory. --Donna Seaman

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I am reading Don't Look Behind You And Other True Cases by Ann Rule.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King. Here's the link on Amazon 11/22/63
. So far it's a very interesting book. One of his best so far.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I am reading the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. It's called Catching Fire.
Awsome series!!!

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I just started A Journey To The Center of the Earth by Jules Verne.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
At the moment I am kindleling solving the communion enigma.

Which is pretty good. Just don't forget your filter.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Battles That Changed History: Key Battles that Decided The Fate of Nations

Why the West Rules for Now by Ian Morris

What I have lined up next: Intellectual Self-Defense

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm reading Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join