It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I am currently reading Don Quixote Its really funny, then I'll probably start reading Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Your Religion is False
Just like Someone with Mental Illness, Only More So
and Have a Little Faith

posted on Aug, 30 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. The book takes place in the near future where society is crumbling and everyone plays the same video game. This game is an ever growing world where anything is possible and where everyone spends the bulk of their time. The kids go to school in the game etc. The creator of the game dies and, upon his death, his will is read to the entire world. Turns out there's an easter egg in the game and the first player to find the egg will own the game. The creator of the game was a child of the 80's and, as such, the egg hunt centers around all things 80's (and late 70's).

It's an incredilbe book that tosses 80's trivia at you nonstop, as well as old school computing and gaming. On top of it all, it's a fast paced, exciting book that will, most likely, be made into a movie. One review called it Willy Wonka meets The Matrix.

www.amazon.com...

Now I'm reading Hell's Horizon by Darren Shan. This is part two of his "city" series about a town run by The Cardinal, a sinister gangland boss who, apparently, cannot be killed. Part one was great and can be found here:
www.amazon.com...=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1
Part two is, so far, good but, stupidly, I read the description of part three to ensure I was reading them in the right order and now I know what happens in the second book.

Books read this summer that are worth looking into:

The last werewolf
Roboocalypse (this is a must read)
Lost In Shangri-La (nonfiction, great story)
In the Garden of Beasts (also nonfiction and very interesting)
Moonwalking With Enstein (great book about memory contests)
The Radleys (fun vampires in the burbs book)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
"We the Animals" by Justin Torres.. A quick but good read.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Another Judgement Day ~ Simon R. Green

A fun little fantasy/sci-fi novel. It is part of the Nightside series.

There's a new sheriff in town, and he's got the Nightside's rich and powerful quaking in their boots. He's The Walking Man, and it's his mission to exorcise sinners-with extreme prejudice. Problem is, the Nightside was built on sin and corruption, and The Walking Man makes no distinction between evildoers and those simply indulging themselves. He'll leave the place a wasteland unless someone stops him, and P.I. John Taylor has been handed the job. No known magic or science can affect The Walking Man, and if John can't discover his weakness, he'll be facing the very Wrath of God...

I am also reading "Morals and Dogma" by Albert Pike.

The first chapter is amazingly powerful. I can see why some people would say that the US was built as the first Mason nation. I can also see how Masonry is very misunderstood. From what I have read so far Masons seem to be far from the evil characters people portray.

There is a lot of knowledge and truth contained in just the first chapter. Ideas on freedom, fraternity, wisdom, knowledge of ancient myths and symbolism, and exortations to be better humans. I will reprint two of my favorite passages below. The text is not bound by copyright.

The nations are not bodies-politic alone, but also souls-politic; and woe to that people which, seeking the material only, forgets that it has a soul. Then we have a race, petrified in dogma, which presupposes the absence of a soul and the presence only of memory and instinct, or demoralized by lucre. Such a nature can never lead civilization. Genuflexion before the idol or the dollar atrophies the muscle which walks and the will which moves. Hieratic or mercantile absorption diminishes the radiance of a people, lowers its horizon by lowering its level, and deprives it of that understanding of the universal aim, at the same time human and divine, which makes the missionary nations. A free people, forgetting that it has a soul to be cared for, devotes all its energies to its material advancement. If it makes war, it is to subserve its commercial interests. The citizens copy after the State, and regard wealth, pomp, and luxury as the great goods of life. Such a nation creates wealth rapidly, and distributes it badly. Thence the two extremes, of monstrous opulence and monstrous misery; all the enjoyment to a few, all the privations to the rest, that is to say, to the people; Privilege, Exception, Monopoly, Feudality, springing up from Labor itself: a false and dangerous situation, which, making Labor a blinded and chained Cyclops, in the mine, at the forge, in the workshop, at the loom, in the field, over poisonous fumes, in miasmatic cells, in unventilated factories, founds public power upon private misery, and plants the greatness of the State in the suffering of the individual. It is a greatness ill constituted, in which all the material elements are combined, and into which no moral element enters. If a people, like a star, has the right of eclipse, the light ought to return. The eclipse should not degenerate into night.

There is no more sovereign eloquence than the truth in indignation. It is more difficult for a people to keep than to gain their freedom. The Protests of Truth are always needed. Continually, the right must protest against the fact. There is, in fact, Eternity in the Right. The Mason should be the Priest and Soldier of that Right. If his country should be robbed of her liberties, he should still not despair. The protest of the Right against the Fact persists forever. The robbery of a people never becomes prescriptive. Reclamation of its rights is barred by no length of time. Warsaw can no more be Tartar than Venice can be Teutonic. A people may endure military usurpation, and subjugated States kneel to States and wear the yoke, while under the stress of necessity; but when the necessity disappears, if the people is fit to be free, the submerged country will float to the surface and reappear, and Tyranny be adjudged by History to have murdered its victims.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I'm currently reading Dracula The Un-Dead by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm currently reading 'Crossfire' by Jim Marrs.

Pretty good book so far. Definitely worth buying.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
A few of the books I have devoured in recent weeks:

The Hiram Key
The Second Messiah

...both by Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, concerning the Knights Templar and Freemasonry, amongst other subjects. Highly recommended.

The Elixir And The Stone
The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail*

...written by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh (and Henry Lincoln as far as 'Holy Blood...'is concerned). Recommended.

The Jesus Papers: Exposing the Greatest Cover-Up in History

...written by Michael Baigent solely. Once again, recommended.

Hitler and the Age of Horus

...written by Gerald Suster. It explores an alternative angle on the rise of Hitler and the Nazis, emphasising mystical and occult influences. Fascinating book, highly recommended.

The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ

...written by Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince. Very similar to the work of Baigent and Leigh, but working around and sometimes beyond their hypothesis. Recommended.

The Crystal Sun: Rediscovering a Lost Technology of the Ancient World

...written by Robert Temple. Described as an "intellectual detective novel," Temple shines a new light on the subject of lens' and optics in antiquity. So glad I stumbled across this one at my local library. Very much recommended.

A few others I cant recall at the moment but shall add in future

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I just picked around 20 books from my dad's/mom's/my own bookshelf to read. The first book that I started plowing through is called Don't Worry, Make Money by Richard Carlson. The next one will be one of Graham Hancock's. The aim is to read the 20 before Christmas, the aim is to read more than before, and stop using the laptop and online resources for reading as much. Conventional wisdom, and all that.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I'm reading The Dresden Files short stories (Jim Butcher) currently, and next up is the Game of Thrones books (G.R. Martin).

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'm currently reading Clive Barker's Abarat which will be followed by Days Of Magic, Nights Of War and if I pace myself properly I should finish it just as Absolute Midnight, which is finally being released on the 27th, drops onto my door mat. If it takes him seven years to write the fourth book in the series I may just have to hunt him down and give him a kick or two

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Currently reading

The Destruction of Atlantis by Frank Joseph. There is some new information in here I hadn't come across before.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
New Stories From The South 2010

This collection is losing steam. It doesn't seem nearly as tight or southern-centric as it did in the 1990s. It doesn't help that they have editors from New York picking the stories. I wish Alqonquin would let one of the many talented writers or editors in Chapel Hill have a shot at getting the collection back on it's feet.

posted on Sep, 22 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Just finished "Hounded" the first book of Kevin Hearne's "Iron Druid" series...

Basically, it's about a modern-day druid (who is over 2000 years old) and his adventures. In this book, he has a sword that an Irish God wants, and he makes some strange allies (and enemies) during this trial....

It's got vampires, werewolves, and witches, etc., so right in line with those who like books like this.....

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GaboVarfang
I am currently reading Don Quixote Its really funny, then I'll probably start reading Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

Right on, I read the first book during the summer. The world needs a modern Don Quixote

I just finished "The Rule of Law" by Tom Bingham.

Just started "Three Wishes: Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak" by Deborah Ellis

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Reading George R. R. Martins series 'Fire & Ice' from which the HBO series 'Game of Thrones' is based. Having very much enjoyed the HBO series I purchased the box set of books and WOW - simply one of the best stories I've read in a long time. You know those books where sometimes the prose is so beautiful you read and re-read a paragraph? This is one of those.

I'm on book 2, A Clash of Kings, and the story lines do not let up. This is a must read for fantasy lovers but I also highly recommend it to those who do not normally tread in the genre.

I was so pleased the actor who plays Tyrion, the Imp and 'little person' won an emmy. His acting is spot on. I was surprised also to find that the HBO series stays very true to the books down to the verbage. Nicely done!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I figure this is a good place to make my first post. I am reading:
Flaubert's Parrot By Julian Barnes
I am a Strange Loop Douglas R. Hofstadter
Them Jon Ronson
and
Kafka on the Shore Haruki Murakami

I am also reading the Walking Dead series and The Umbrella Academy which I just picked up yesterday.

posted on Nov, 19 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm currently reading Killshot by Elmore Leonard.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join