It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are you currently reading?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Currently reading Decision Points by George Bush.

About 250+ pages in and I'm finding I hate him less and less.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I'm guessing that Decision Points was ghost written?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Damn you! It makes perfect sense!

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I would love to hear your opinions on this book in more depth. I've been thinking of reading it myself. However, being that I was pretty ardently anti-G.W I'm more prone to skip over it. What in it has changed your mind?

Back On Topic
I'm currently reading

The Get Away - Jim Thompson

You Are Your Own Gym - Mark Lauren
It is a great book dedicated to body weight excercises. It was written by a former special operations trainer and is endorsed by several former military officers. It basically teaches you the new mentality behind special forces fitness training. It also shows you over a hundred excercises. The icing on the cake is that it has four ten week
"programs" to get you jump started or transitioned.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The Death Instinct: Jed Rubenfeld

Book Synopsis:

Under a clear blue September sky, America's financial center in lower Manhattan became the site of the largest, deadliest terrorist attack in the nation's history. It was September 16, 1920. Four hundred people were killed or injured. The country was appalled by the magnitude and savagery of the incomprehensible attack, which remains unsolved to this day.

The bomb that devastated Wall Street in 1920 explodes in the opening pages of The Death Instinct, Jed Rubenfeld's provocative and mesmerizing new novel. War veteran Dr. Stratham Younger and his friend Captain James Littlemore of the New York Police Department are caught on Wall Street on the fateful day of the blast. With them is the beautiful Colette Rousseau, a French radiochemist whom Younger meets while fighting in the world war. A series of inexplicable attacks on Rousseau, a secret buried in her past, and a mysterious trail of evidence lead Young, Littlemore, and Rousseau on a thrilling international and psychological journey-from Paris to Prague, from the Vienna home of Dr. Sigmund Freud to the corridors of power in Washington, D.C., and ultimately to the hidden depths of our most savage instincts. As the seemingly disjointed pieces of what Younger and Littlemore learn come together, the two uncover the shocking truth behind the bombing.

Blending fact and fiction in a brilliantly convincing narrative, Jed Rubenfeld has forged a gripping historical mystery about a tragedy that holds eerie parallels to our own time.

search.barnesandnoble.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just finished 'Gifts of Unknown Things' by Lyall Watson. 'A True Story of Nature,Healing, and Initiation from Indonesia's Dancing Island'. I posted it because it's full of ATSy themes and I think a lot of people here would like it. Watson's a very good storyteller for a scientist and he doesn't leave out the science so, there's something for everyone. It was an enjoyable read and I'm sure I'll read it again as his books are full of tidbits that I like to look into further.

www.amazon.com...

-Hope that's ok, there are some good reviews there

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Re...re....rereading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. It's absolutely brilliant!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The Ender Game books :] and Mocking Jay from Hunger games

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I've just finished 'Black Order' by James Rollins (I've read most of his books now ... love the pace).

Woody

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm reading Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I'm now reading the George RR Martin series A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm on A Clash of Kings right now. These books are amazing!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I am reading The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Just cracked 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' thanks to the recommendation of another ATSer.
As an editorial comment, I think the book threads are great. Not only a good place to get reading ideas but it's nice to see there are still others who enjoy a good book.
edit on 3/29/2011 by beezwaxes because: sp/

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

I would love to hear your opinions on this book in more depth. I've been thinking of reading it myself. However, being that I was pretty ardently anti-G.W I'm more prone to skip over it. What in it has changed your mind?

Oh, sorry! I didn't even see this post till just now.

Anyway, I'm not even sure what has really but when I was reading he just came off as more human I guess. As Odd as that sounds. I mean we were shown a different side to him really (albeit it was his side). But, It was actually nice to see It and not the media - "he's all evil, he doesn't care about nobody or nuffin" side that we were used to.

It was interesting to see how he got to be where he was and to gain an insight into why he felt the need to take the actions he took and so on. That being so, I always got the impression when reading that he felt the need to heavily defend himself and his actions at times. I suppose he does really but I just got the impression he felt the need to really "big" himself up and that was something he did when possible. It got a bit annoying at times too.

Anyway, I'm not much of a book reviewer myself but that's just the quick impressions I got from reading (I've finished it now btw).

I do recommend people buy it still.

edit on 29-3-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
For the past year I have been working on This is Your Brain on Music but I keep getting interrupted by this pesky thing called college. Hopefully, I will finally finish it over the summer.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Cosmos - Carl Sagan

Above Top Secret - Timothy Good

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller

posted on Apr, 18 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm reading Simon R. Green's "Nightside" series. Quick reads so far, but good stories. If you liked The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher, you'll like these.

Basically, a private eye, with an unknown, but powerful heritage, goes on cases in Nightside, kind of a supernatural area of London, hidden from the outside world.

EDIT: I really have to say, I'm enjoying this series. I got the first book on Sunday, and finished it Monday. I got two more in the series on Tuesday, and finished the second today, and started the third. Quite addictive, and fast, easy reads. (Thank goodness I have a friend who owns a bookstore, so I get a great discount (and used books))....

edit on 20-4-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
Re...re....rereading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams. It's absolutely brilliant!

Good call. You can never read that series too many times. *ignores Mostly Harmless*

Just finished:

Imogen Edwards and Anonymous - Fashion Babylon

Fascinating, to say the least...

Currently re-reading:

Pamela Des Barres - I'm With the Band: Confessions of a Groupie (guilty pleasure)

Albert Camus - L'Etranger (my top 2 fave book ever)

Nick Hornby - A Long Way Down (second reading - quite enjoyed the first though I've never gotten all the way thru' High Fidelity...)

William Gibson - Neuromancer (another all-time fave)

Presently reading for the first time:

Douglas Hofstadter - Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Ann Rooney - The Story of Mathematics

Trying to finish since 1991, tackling off and on this week:

Henry Miller - Tropic of Capricorn

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Re-Reading 'The Bell Jar' by Sylvia Plath. Last time I read it was in High School which was a *long* time ago.

The woman was a brilliant writer and way ahead of her time. Too bad she couldn't deal with the perils of this reality and took her own life at the early age of 30.

The kids today should get into reading her poetry - she's so emo

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jonna

Right now I am reading Wicked. It is actually pretty allegorical, so don't laugh. After that I am slotted to read "Farenheit 451" Which I had to buy my daughter for school and found it interesting so when she's done the assignment, I am going to read it.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join