It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was the Super Harrier?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
searching for the CVF pictures and related JSF information I found this image, called the SuperHarrier I have never seen or heard of it before. Does anyone else know anything?

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
searching for the CVF pictures and related JSF information I found this image, called the SuperHarrier I have never seen or heard of it before. Does anyone else know anything?

British Aerospace worked on many 'super Harrier' designs.

The best place to start is to start at the original, the 1960's supersonic P1154 that was to serve both RAF and RN - in some ways this is a similar story to the USA's F 111. The much sought 'commonality' didn't really happen and cost a lot of time and money trying to make it happen. Although in this case both RAF and RN versions were axed.....

....ultimately making way for Phantoms which were not quite what was asked for, afterall had europe erupted into a war quite how any of those desparately impressive mach 2 conventional jets would have done anything once the massively long runways they required had been ruined?

BAe worked on all sorts of ideas since then (the plenum chamber being an idea from the P1154 that was not wasted).

The current 3-poster jet arrangement being worked on long before the Americans came along and bought up everything.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have a lot of source material relating to the Hawker V/STOL studies right from the beginnings and including the P1213 family amongst many others so I am familiar with Hawker Siddeley and BAe's multifarious proposals, I should have pointed this out in the first post, sorry for that. Its just that this design which appears to be a four poster 'stealthy' amalgamation of the F-35 and AV-8B is completely new to me, I can find nothing relating to it although much of the UK design effort from 1976 onwards remains secret so maybe that is the reason.

join