It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Campfire Bread in a can. Survival at its Finest!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Many of you know that I am a baker and love the rustic outdoor baking methods. I wanted to show how simple some of these breads are to make as many people are intimidated when it comes to bread making. It just baffles some because of preconceived misconceptions of difficulty but once ventured into, is an eye opening revelation as to "Hey! I can do this!".

Well, I found a great method that you can make without being too overwhelmed on the first foray into the wonderful World of bread making. How much simpler can it get? It's bread...in a can!

Ingredients:

Warm water, flour, egg, oil or butter, sugar or honey and yeast...oh yeah...and a can!

So here's a suggestion. Next time you're having a backyard campfire or out camping with the weenies on a stick, try it. Got kids? Show them the greatest bread ever that can be made by kids. Guaranteed they will be enthusiastic and the lesson they walk away with will be invaluable in the coming years.

Let the kids experiment with maybe some brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, apples etc.

If you are interested in other methods or have something to add that others can benefit from, please add it here on this thread and/or on my Survival Bread Thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy!

A little more adventurous but still basic and a great example as to what you can do to make that bread more exciting. I like making mine with a little oregano, onion, garlic and basil but each to their own.

edit on 16-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Good stuff!

I always enjoy your posts when it comes to the survival forum. To many people seem to talk about running and gunning a lot, rarely thinking that at some point, they will have to stop and eat, sleep, field sanitation, etc.

Yourself and others bring relevent info here. The day to day basics of survival.

Keep 'em coming. Good job!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by jude11

Good stuff!

I always enjoy your posts when it comes to the survival forum. To many people seem to talk about running and gunning a lot, rarely thinking that at some point, they will have to stop and eat, sleep, field sanitation, etc.

Yourself and others bring relevent info here. The day to day basics of survival.

Keep 'em coming. Good job!

Thanks!

Yup, running and gunning can be ok for some but not all. What about the ones that simply want to live off the land? What about the elderly, sick, children etc?

I'll have my weapons as all should have but they will be used as a defensive rather than an offensive. Ain't nothing better than a rabbit in the pot and bread in a can!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ah, I have found a friend! I am a devotee of a good bread. I enjoyed the videos. That bread in a can sounded so yummy when she took that first bite and we could hear the crunch! The problem I see with onion bread is that you can never eat your fill. I just goes so well with everything, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by jude11

Ah, I have found a friend! I am a devotee of a good bread. I enjoyed the videos. That bread in a can sounded so yummy when she took that first bite and we could hear the crunch! The problem I see with onion bread is that you can never eat your fill. I just goes so well with everything, doesn't it?

Onions and Garlic! Is there any other great marriage in nature?

If you liked this bread, try my main thread here for many others:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hey Jude!
I'm hungry.

This looks excellent and simple enough to experiment in a regular oven. What would you do differently?
skip the top can/cover maybe?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Hey Jude!
I'm hungry.

This looks excellent and simple enough to experiment in a regular oven. What would you do differently?
skip the top can/cover maybe?

In a regular oven I would treat the can as a simple bread pan. No cover.

To get a nice crunch, put a baking tray on the very bottom rack while the oven is heating and then just after you put the bread in, throw about an ounce of water on that nice hot pan. Stand back in case it spits but it will instantly steam...close the door!

That'll do it.

Good Luck!
edit on 16-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Have been making my own bread for years. Now I can do it over a camp fire as well. Wanted to thank you for this very important information. I buy my yeast in 2 pound bags. Keeping in the fridge it will be good well past the expire date. Outside it will also be good for a long time as will be flour. If you must bug out, don't forget the flour and yeast.
thanks again for the great thread

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Have been making my own bread for years. Now I can do it over a camp fire as well. Wanted to thank you for this very important information. I buy my yeast in 2 pound bags. Keeping in the fridge it will be good well past the expire date. Outside it will also be good for a long time as will be flour. If you must bug out, don't forget the flour and yeast.
thanks again for the great thread

Glad it was useful for you.

If you are really into breads, go to my other thread here:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Amazing bread recipes, outdoor ovens and so much more.

Good Luck!

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Awesome, Imma remember this for when I have to use it, thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This is so neat!!! I love the idea of baking bread over a camp fire. Thanks for the link!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by donatellanator
This is so neat!!! I love the idea of baking bread over a camp fire. Thanks for the link!

Thanks!

If you really want to see some great ways to make easy breads, go here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

GL!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

AHHHHH thank you so much again and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The natural yeast thing was a blessing indeed! I was just wondering yesterday how I could make it... The lady describing it in English sounds so disinterested,
but I guess that's just her accent.

Very cool!

Oh, I have a question... The 2nd recipe on your OP, did you mean to say only 1.5 tsp yeast for 12 cups of flour?! That is wild if you really can make all that rise with only a small amount

Peace!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
These are some excellent sounding tips. I'm going to give this a go.

new topics

top topics

join