It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Category 4 Storm Hurricane Charley Makes Landfall, Massive Damage and Casualty Reports

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Are there a lot of areas w/out power? I can't get thoguth to anyone "Tracy Dr, N. Penninsuala Dr, Tomoka State Park area, Halifax..? Thye may all be together somewhere too...It's worrisome!

Power is always sketchy around here these days when the weather acts up. I am surprised I still have it with what just came through but it is calm again now. Very likely they are all together or at a shelter. There are some isolated tonados touching down (S. Daytona) but not reports of injuries, etc. I am sure they are just all taking precautions.

I hate to say it, but you are probably going to have to wait this one out. Everyone is hunkering down somewhere. The areas you are mentioning are saturated from last week and so people may be in shelters or with friends due to flooding concerns. As it stands now, no one is on the roads, so where ever they are they are staying put and probably safe.

Wish I could give you more but that's about the story.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I live right outside of Daytona Bch. The Hurricane eye is now going over Universal Studios. We are 45 minutes from Universal studio. There are many tornadoes touching down everywhere and casulties have been reported. The eye is suppose to be passing over us at 10 pm i think. This will probably be my last post till after Charley. Lights are flickering now probably gonna lose power soon. Hope to talk to you guys soon!!!!! Tornadoes are in Daytona Bch, DeLand, St augustine and Cape Canaveral which is all around us!!! Ok guys I'm outta here!~ Hope to talk to you soon!!! Hold tight!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Indy - those of us not yet hit may get lucky as it is no longer at 145, but the damage from the areas already hit are in the billions. This is not overated. It is VERY widespread and still wreaking havoc. 110 mph is nothing to spit at either.

Alot of people are still in trouble as the night wears on. Don't kid yourself. At this point even if the winds stopped the rain alone will be SERIOUS. We got waterlogged last week with 8 inches in Daytona and it hasn't subsided yet. Now this.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The thing about hurricanes is you can be far from the center and catch a line of storms with intense winds in them. So agreed. It isn't over yet. It only takes one storm to ruin someones night.

When I was younger and living in Florida I used to live on the east coast. I'm guessing it was somewhere between 1984 and 1986 and there was a hurricane off of the coast of Tampa. It had stalled. During the afternoon we had a line of storms come through on the east coast that was amazing. The wind was so intense that it sucked accoustic cealing tiles into the roof of the building I was in. I saw it bend a sign in half and tip over an oil barrel and roll it up hill. Of course it also blew out a transformer which wasn't any fun. It is amazing what one of these storms can do even when its on the opposite coast.

[edit on 8/13/2004 by Indy]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
They will fall for many days.

I'm far away, and trying to think of other things, but it is difficult. The noise and pain.

People are dying. Here's hoping everyone here and those whom they love can meet again soon.

Sorry, this seems silly for a news thread, but there it is.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Damage may be extensive in central Florida. At 9:27pm EST Saint Cloud, FL was reporting sustained winds of 69mph with gusts to 92mph. Orlando was reporting winds of 54 with gusts to 70. Apopka was reporting winds at 61 with gusts to 85.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's still going strong and charging towards Daytona.

I'm worried about whats going to happen it hits the heat of the gulfstream. It's going to build power very quickly and slam up the eastern seaboard.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'm hoping the supposition is wrong, but I am also concerned that this storm may see a resurgence on the Atlantic coast.

As Indy points out, it is not a particularly broad storm, but it seems pretty intense even as it moves across the peninsula.

I can't shake a sense of ripping and violence, but that is, of course what hurricanes do, and I'm an excitable boy at times.

While I do advise keeping a level head for anyone in the storm's path, here, over 2000 miles away, I'm devolving into a blithering fool. Families are being torn apart and separated by death. It's just such a painful feeling, it's driving me nuts, and feels awful.

Hopefully just a hysterical reaction, and nothing more. Time to take a chill pill, I suppose, and try not to be a drama queen.

The image of the storm ripping up everything in its path is a terrible one. I'm hoping it's not as bad as it seems.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yes, I'm hoping it doesn't build up too much again. I am going to be in New York next week and I don't want to have dodged out of Florida this week and catch it again next week.
I imagine it should be fairly weak by then though even in the remote chance it made it there.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by perseus]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Up to 200mm rain (8 inches)
4.6 meter (15-foot) flash-flood predicted
And Bush have offered Castro 50.000 dollars in emergency-aid for Cuba.

[edit on 2004/8/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
everyone wether u care or not, i am happy to say that i survived the storm!!!, i was right were the eye hit!!!!!!!, my house is fine, we only lost our whole fence!!!(lol) i have a trailer down in arcadia and when i went to see if it was ok, IT WAS GONE!!!!!, no sign of it, and the rest of the trailers!!!!!! i hope it was covered by my insurance

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I just spoke to someone in Orlando and they said that it was rough, but there was minimum damage. Their front door swung open with no provacation and a palm tree fell in their yard. Let's see when the get through the eye of the storm.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
WEll after the storm is done in FLordia its commin straight for my town in NC. Ill have my camera phone for coverage when its gets here. Hopefully its awhole lot weaker. Good luck flordia

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It's beginning to die down now with winds only at 90mph.

So this is ideal time for me to close down for the evening. I hope you enjoyed the ATSNN coverage and thank you for all the posts. Stay Safe.

*cue closing graphics*
This has been an ATSNN Special Report.. Up Next... Nothing. Go Home.

Hope you enjoyed

... Back to the Studio...

Nerdling.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Really outstanding job today, Nerdling!

You get my vote for Way above this month.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Good luck Florida!

On this page I think I can currently see the other storm mentioned in earlier posts.
This animation is 2.3MB

Satellite animation

Look to the left of Africa...
Is this the new one?

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thank you Bleys

I just had to make this post to update everyone before i go updating the radar and stuff on page one.

Tropical storm #4 has been upgraded.

It is now "Danielle"

Say Hello to her.

TROPICAL STORM DANIELLE ADVISORY NUMBER 3
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 PM AST FRI AUG 13 2004

...FOURTH TROPICAL STORM OF THE SEASON FORMS IN THE FAR EASTERN
ATLANTIC...

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT THE TROPICAL DEPRESSION NEAR THE
CAPE VERDE ISLANDS HAS STRENGTHENED AND BECOME A TROPICAL STORM.

AT 11 PM AST...0300Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM DANIELLE WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 12.7 NORTH... LONGITUDE 24.8 WEST OR ABOUT
235 MILES... 375 KM... SOUTH-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS.

DANIELLE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST NEAR 14 MPH ...22 KM/HR...AND
THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH... 65 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES
... 85 KM FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1009 MB...29.80 INCHES.

REPEATING THE 11 PM AST POSITION...12.7 N... 24.8 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST NEAR 14 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 40 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1009 MB.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL
HURRICANE CENTER AT 5 AM AST.

Hello Danielle.

Projected Path

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Just wanted to say that I hope all our friends in Florida are safe and sound.

I just saw alot of footage on the news, it looks pretty bad. We'll be getting it this weekend but nowhere near the intensity it's dishing out now. Stay safe everyone!

PA

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
We go two months with nothing and this makes the 4th named storm in about 10 days with #5 right around the corner.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   
This weekend has turned out to be a very bad beach weekend at Myrtle Beach. I just recently heard they are having mandatory evacuations there. Traffic is congested I heard on the news. I definitely wouldn't want to be in a traffic jam during the middle of the night. I used to live near there and saw many hurricanes pass by. My feeling on this one is only minimal damage to South Carolina. There could be a tornado or two which would do the bulk of the damage I believe except possibly for some flying debris.

Otherwise, I say it's a bad beach day at Myrtle Beach tonight. Let's all say bye bye Charley. Danielle is another name that means something to me. I wonder if my name can be reached this year. I believe we only need about 12 or 13 more. With less than 1 hour left today, I discovered today is Friday the 13th. I must be too busy nowadays to even notice if it's a lucky or unlucky day. Hope you guys in Florida are doing ok.

Edited note: I heard they opened up both sides of the normally congested highway 501 to leave Myrtle Beach until 6AM. It took until 8:30 PM today to close that side off to the East bound traffic.

[edit on 13-8-2004 by orionthehunter]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join