It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just to let you know and not to scare anyone but......

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Just an Alert

Looking at the map of California i can clearly see that the lower end of The San Andreas fault is just about to sing its opening number.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Tons and tons of quakes along the fault line.

I hope to god that this fault can hold on as the stress its in must me unbelievable.
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: !!!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I've only been in a few earthquakes and none were very large. It's still so terrifying. Give me a tornado or a hurricane any day. I can probably even deal with a volcano, but earthquakes freak me out.

I hope that this isn't the precursor to some big event out there on the west coast. And I sure do want all of our members out there to remain safe and sound.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by girl_interrupted

I would prefer a quake over a tornado any day.

link   
Must be because i lived here all my life
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

link   
If you go and download the freeware earthquake 3d, you'll be able to see a pattern with the earthquakes. It's impossible to say that the Pacific ring is not going to move. We've had the north west, south west, south east corners move. Even the north side has moved with the two 7.0's a few weeks back. It really is only just an amount of time before it slips. Here's hoping it's just one big one with a powerful aftershock sequence to allow the stress to escape quickly. I speak with experience as i am from a currently active Earthquake Zone (Christchurch, New Zealand)

Earthquakes are dangerous however to be scared of them is simply not worth your time. Be aware but do not limit your life and your actions because of the chance of what if the large quake strikes tomorrow or today.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Semoro
If you go and download the freeware earthquake 3d, you'll be able to see a pattern with the earthquakes. It's impossible to say that the Pacific ring is not going to move. We've had the north west, south west, south east corners move. Even the north side has moved with the two 7.0's a few weeks back. It really is only just an amount of time before it slips. Here's hoping it's just one big one with a powerful aftershock sequence to allow the stress to escape quickly. I speak with experience as i am from a currently active Earthquake Zone (Christchurch, New Zealand)

Earthquakes are dangerous however to be scared of them is simply not worth your time. Be aware but do not limit your life and your actions because of the chance of what if the large quake strikes tomorrow or today.

Well put Semoro

As for the whole plate moving that's a big Yep and also a big problem as well.

And as for your one bang thinking......well if we are lucky

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by girl_interrupted
I've only been in a few earthquakes and none were very large. It's still so terrifying. Give me a tornado or a hurricane any day. I can probably even deal with a volcano, but earthquakes freak me out.

I hope that this isn't the precursor to some big event out there on the west coast. And I sure do want all of our members out there to remain safe and sound.

LMAO! Are you kidding me? I would take an earthquake over ANY other natural disaster any ol day of the week! I've lived in California all my life and have been through many many Earthquakes and they have never scared me. I would rather stand on shaking ground for a minute or two than risk getting whisked away in a damn tornado! The thought of being in the middle of a Tornado or Hurricane scares me senseless.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Dutchinse on utube has been closely following that and sees the whole pacific plate moving

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne

LMAO! Are you kidding me? I would take an earthquake over ANY other natural disaster any ol day of the week! I've lived in California all my life and have been through many many Earthquakes and they have never scared me. I would rather stand on shaking ground for a minute or two than risk getting whisked away in a damn tornado! The thought of being in the middle of a Tornado or Hurricane scares me senseless.

That's about the same feeling i have.

During a quake i am cool as ice but only to a degree.

if my house is crumbling above me that would change fast

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
would an EQ in LA be a problem with the 405 shut down?

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anusuia
Dutchinse on utube has been closely following that and sees the whole pacific plate moving

Dutchsinse

Global Earthquake and Volcano overview -- worldwide UPTICK continues
Yep been looking at this as well

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by donlashway
would an EQ in LA be a problem with the 405 shut down?

Well yes it would cause problems

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
One of my hobbies is storm chasing.

At least you have ample warning (most of the time) about tornadoes and hurricanes. Earthquakes just ... hit. I've gotten a concussion twice in quakes and broke my arm in one of those. Add in the fact that I'm naturally dizzy from Meniere's Disease so not being able to balance is a nice huge problem for me. Earth shakes? I splat.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne

Your pic and glib attitude makes me think your not weighing the danger enough.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

Thank you for your kind words friend.

I do think that the pacific plate will be experiencing a large shift soon. However i am not quite sure if the Pacific plate constantly moves. I know this is probably sounding very rookie but please here me out. Do you think that instead of the large shifts after a set period of time that there is a large rise in earthquakes and respected magnitudes or that it is always constant and continuing to move and large quakes are always constant.

Theory One: That every 500-1000 years the Pacific plate shifts and around all boundries, fault lines create large quakes. This is supported by the 9's such as the Japanese quake. Ofcourse however the quakes would not happen within weeks but rather 50 years or so.

Theory Two: There is never a set 'calm' period between shifts as the movement is constant. Bar the magnitude 9's, evidence of the constant 6's-7's give it credit.

Which do you think? Please add to the theories or point out flaws.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the Long Valley Caldera (Supervolc) sit at the north end of the San Andreas? If so....it's been having some pretty regular shakes recently.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Yes, and before anybody jumps on my back...I do realise these readings could be because the seismo's are picking up from what's going on in the region as a whole.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
As the magnetic poles continue to move so will the frequency of quakes increase.

Here's some info to why

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Have a great suspicion that the biggest quack of all time will happen in north atlantic pushing north america onto pacific plate.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Does anyone know where I can find an EQ map of the past not including the month recently passed week for a comparison.

Not only that, everyone should look at the huge California valley in that map and notice its elevation compared to the rest of californias elevations. The valley is very low. Like in Japan, if a huge EQ does occur, that valley could drop. With many subsequent EQs it very possible that the entire valley could fall/drop below sea level, shortly thereafter there is a small perpendicular valley that connects the ocean with the valley that could also fall. Eventually, probably many centuries from now, maybe even multiple millennia, they will both be below sea level which would turn that valley into a huge bay about the same size as lake Michigan.

To me, the earthquakes are not what scares me about this area, its the repercussions of many large EQs over the next few hundred years. So yea, if you event yet I would suggest looking at the map again and compare the elevation key with the map and pay close attention to the huge valley and the much smaller ocean to valley connection valley.

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSarcasm
Does anyone know where I can find an EQ map of the past not including the month recently passed week for a comparison.

Not only that, everyone should look at the huge California valley in that map and notice its elevation compared to the rest of californias elevations. The valley is very low. Like in Japan, if a huge EQ does occur, that valley could drop. With many subsequent EQs it very possible that the entire valley could fall/drop below sea level, shortly thereafter there is a small perpendicular valley that connects the ocean with the valley that could also fall. Eventually, probably many centuries from now, maybe even multiple millennia, they will both be below sea level which would turn that valley into a huge bay about the same size as lake Michigan.

To me, the earthquakes are not what scares me about this area, its the repercussions of many large EQs over the next few hundred years. So yea, if you event yet I would suggest looking at the map again and compare the elevation key with the map and pay close attention to the huge valley and the much smaller ocean to valley connection valley.

You know what disturbes me ?
why did nasa took the ele orbit tracker offline ??
now it looks like they do got something big to hide :s
or is it just on my laptop ? can some one confirm this please ??

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join