It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Psychotics!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
www.aljazeera.com...

Some lowlights from article

In 2008, with over $14 billion in sales, antipsychotics became the single top-selling therapeutic class of prescription drugs in the United States....
By now, just about everyone knows how the drug industry works to influence the minds of American doctors, plying them with gifts, junkets, ego-tripping awards, and research funding in exchange for endorsing or prescribing the latest and most lucrative drugs. "Psychiatrists are particularly targeted by Big Pharma because psychiatric diagnoses are very subjective," says Dr. Adriane Fugh-Berman, whose PharmedOut project tracks the industry's influence on American medicine,
Likewise, a 2009 study showed that 18 out of 20 of the shrinks who wrote the American Psychiatric Association's most recent clinical guidelines for treating depression, bipolar disorders, and schizophrenia had financial ties to drug companies.
Angell points out, we should "expect the prevalence of mental illness to be declining, not rising." Instead, "the tally of those who are so disabled by mental disorders that they qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) increased nearly two and a half times between 1987 and 2007 - from one in 184 Americans to one in seventy-six. For children, the rise is even more startling - a thirty-five-fold increase in the same two decades.
"One in three of the psychiatrists who have contracted with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in the past five years has taken speaker fees or gifts from companies that make antipsychotic medications."

Along with stories of success comes reports of people turned into virtual zombies.

Nothing we didn't know already really but interesting to see it covered in Middle East media but not in west - ooh i wonder why!
i have to admit to being surprised just how many drugs are consumed by everyday people when I did a mini tour of US last yr meeting a bunch of peeps I'd got to know over the years from internet.
edit on Sat Jul 16 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: added EX tags

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I personally think it has to do with all the garbage most Americans eat in their diet. They eat all the shizzo then don't feel right in the head so they go get some narcotic drugs to deal with their issues. Maybe if they would just clean up their diets and eat better they might not be so depressed. IMO

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
that stuff killed my little brother. i wont talk about it, so dont ask.. it is one of the reason i am so opposed to big pharma. ive been trying to tell people this for weeks. nobody listens unless they are being directly affected.

newsflash people. all of you taking prescription drugs... if you give it enough time, your drug will be recalled, but not before they want your kids on them too...its an endless cycle

edit to Tac:
leading cause of depression is relationship related, and when everyone spends too much time indoors (work/home/work/home/strip club/work/home)
at that point food becomes like a drug anyway ie comfort food
edit on 16-7-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Already posted under the title "The Real Pill Criminals." Sorry!

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MentalPriapism

AH soz feel free to close thread mods

posted on Jul, 16 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by MentalPriapism
Already posted under the title "The Real Pill Criminals." Sorry!

here's the link
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This duplicate thread is closed.

top topics

join